• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zuiderdam - the total experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zuiderdam - the total experience

I am a veteran of all of four cruises, and am contemplating a cruise on the Zuiderdam from Vancouver to Alaska, returning to Vancouver. Zuiderdam is a lot larger than any ship I have cruised on previously.

Can anyone tell me what the experience is like; does it feel crowded, are there long queues for service in the restaurants or for disembarkation, are children and young people allowed to cause a nuisance, are the crew cheerful and helpful? In other words, is a cruise to Alaska on board Zuiderdam to be recommended to a young couple in their sixties who are looking for a relaxing cruise with good food, good company, a variety of entertainment, and interesting and stimulating runs ashore?

Originally posted by iceni, West Somerset View Post
    I am a veteran of all of four cruises, and am contemplating a cruise on the Zuiderdam from Vancouver to Alaska, returning to Vancouver. Zuiderdam is a lot larger than any ship I have cruised on previously.

Can anyone tell me what the experience is like; does it feel crowded, are there long queues for service in the restaurants or for disembarkation, are children and young people allowed to cause a nuisance, are the crew cheerful and helpful? In other words, is a cruise to Alaska on board Zuiderdam to be recommended to a young couple in their sixties who are looking for a relaxing cruise with good food, good company, a variety of entertainment, and interesting and stimulating runs ashore?
    Not been on the Zuiderdam to Alaska but have on two other HAL ships. My answer would be Yes, go for it. I wrote on a previous thread...
    Holland America see themselves as a company which offer premium cruising to a discerning market.I can't give you any comparisons as HAL and a p&o cruise are the limits of my experience. All I can say is we always enjoy our cruise experience with them and we are very picky travellers. The age profile seems def. older than some other lines and the passengers are about 90% American [a big plus]. They are well travelled, interesting and usually lively companions. I have NEVER seen any youth problems. Could be because because families on board seem to be aware of everyone's enjoyment of the cruise. I think the on board activities sometimes leave a bit to be desired for some folk according to some of the reviews on this site but I play bridge so I'm OK. The shows are, occasionally laughably poor, but the individual acts are usually good. I will say that the passengers aren't night birds and the ships are usually quiet after midnight although some of the bars are still lively. It suits us and it must suit all the repeater's.

I would also add we never have any problem with US immigration on any HAL cruises. It all works seamlessly.

Comment

My wife and I are looking at a cruise on the Zuiderdam sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver and on to Alaska. I am somewhat worried about surchages and compulsory tipping. I've read somewhere that the is a charge of $11 per person per night. That's $660 on top of the cost of the holidays I know some of the excusions are going to be expensive as well.
      Any advice would be helpful.
      Thanks.
      Dorff

Comment

I don't know if this will be too late for the cruises mentioned above but my OH has just returned from a cruise on Zuiderdam from Vancouver to Alaska and back and in her opinion the ship is Arcadia with different inside layout and her opinion Zuiderdam is a srcuffy version of P&O, not clean enough for her standards and who puts a library and coffee shop in what we call the crows nest on Arcadia(madness and a waste). You may gather she would not be using that ship again.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
        X