• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guaranteed cabins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOONSHINE, sHEFFIELD
    started a topic Guaranteed cabins

Guaranteed cabins

We have been given a guarenteed cabin on HA in six weeks time yet to be allocated. Will this be the grade we booked or do you ever get an upgrade with these. We are doing a fly cruise so will we get the cabin number before we fly. We have done sixteen cruises and never had an upgrade but still hoping.

• BobTroll, Leicester
    replied
    It depends upon whether the ship is full. There are three possible scenarios:
    1. If there are vacant cabins in the grade you booked, you will probably get what you paid for - or
    2. If there are vacant cabins in higher grades, cruise lines may upgrade passengers who have paid the full fare. That releases cabins for passengers who have paid a reduced fare. In that case, you will get a cabin in the grade you paid for, even though your selected grade was previously sold out - or
    3. If there are plenty of vacant cabins in various grades, you might receive a visit from the upgrade fairy.

In practice, passengers who book a guaranteed cabin have a reasonable chance of an upgrade. However, there is an important difference between a cabin "category" and a cabin "grade". Your allocated cabin will usually be within the category you paid for - so if you pay for a cheap inside cabin, you might be moved to another inside cabin in a better location. Similarly, if you pay for an outside cabin with an obstructed view, you might get an unobstructed cabin. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to be upgraded from an inside cabin to an outside cabin, or from an outside cabin to a suite - unless you are related to the captain or have friends in high places!

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Good old Cunard, they seem to upgrade quite often..Carol

Leave a comment:

• jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe
    replied
    For our recent 14 day transatlantic we had booked a guaranted cabin about 6 months in advance then 2 weeks before the voyage were given a cabin on deck 4 then one week before the trip were upgraded to a midship balcony on deck 6,great position,adjacient to lifts,stairs and quiet.Not bad for a first trip on Cunard,
    jim

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    The only time we booked a guaranteed suite we were allocated a wheelchair friendly room. This did not have a walk-in wardrobe, obviously, but did have a fabulous wet room. We informed the company that neither of us is disabled in case a mistake had been made. Some companies allocate suites very late, so you may need to 'phone before you leave to get your suite number.

Leave a comment:

• MOONSHINE, sHEFFIELD
    replied
    Hi
    Thanks Annie I will keep checking as I have already printed off the luggage labels and of course they have no cabin number on them. Its just I like to get prepared early. It's the first Holland America we have done and first time I have not known my cabin number. I will just have to be patient.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
    It is also worth ringing the cruise company to ask whether an allocation has been made. I have done that in the past and it was on the operators system but not showing on the cruise personaliser...Carol
    Yes if the cruise is sold out, that is a good idea.

However my experience of HA suggests to me they may be trying an upsell with some guests??

Worth a call I suppose - do HA have UK offices??

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    It is also worth ringing the cruise company to ask whether an allocation has been made. I have done that in the past and it was on the operators system but not showing on the cruise personaliser...Carol

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by MOONSHINE, sHEFFIELD View Post
    Thanks Taffy, I originally paid for a restricted view but paid the upgrade to a sea view, would be nice to be upgraded a deck or two but hey I still enjoy the ship where ever we end up. Just wondered about what to put on luggage tags if we don't get allocated till we arrive.
    You don't sail for a few weeks?? keep checking your HA account every few days. They may not assign your cabin until a few days out.

An upgrade on location is possible - may I ask which ship or class??

Re luggage labels, leave printing the HA luggage labels to the last moment - any cabin assignment made will appear automatically on them.

I sailed the Oosterdam on a trans-Pacific last year and I was very impressed.

Enjoy your cruise.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• MOONSHINE, sHEFFIELD
    replied
    Yes sorry HA is Holland and America

Leave a comment:

• MOONSHINE, sHEFFIELD
    replied
    Thanks Taffy, I originally paid for a restricted view but paid the upgrade to a sea view, would be nice to be upgraded a deck or two but hey I still enjoy the ship where ever we end up. Just wondered about what to put on luggage tags if we don't get allocated till we arrive.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by MOONSHINE, sHEFFIELD View Post
    We have been given a guarenteed cabin on HA in six weeks time yet to be allocated. Will this be the grade we booked or do you ever get an upgrade with these. We are doing a fly cruise so will we get the cabin number before we fly. We have done sixteen cruises and never had an upgrade but still hoping.
    Hi

Is HA = Holland America??

If it is, normally you will be allocated a cabin within the grade you booked but maybe 'upgraded' to a better location. However what is an upgrade to one person is not to another.

On one occasion, the cabin was only allocated on arrival at port.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Hi Moonshine.

HA will be the minimum grade of cabin you get ,and if that grade is full you will get and upgrade.?
    I have booked a HA grade cabin for a cruise in November, and the only upgrade they can offer is into a suite(Fingers crossed)
    For me it was worth paying the extra money to get the cabin I wanted plus OBC ,Coach to Southampton ,and choice of dining.
    Hope you enjoy your cruise and get upgraded..Taffy

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X