• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CMV launch child friendly itinraries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    We sailed with CMV once. We would not sail with them again with or without kids.
    Same here... Ours was only a mini cruise but although we had a great night (only as we were in great company... ) sadly, we wouldn't consider the cruise line again.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
      I agree with Mrs M. Our girls were 11, 12 and 14 when we first cruised in 2010. Since then, they've been on 12 cruises and haven't once joined the kids clubs. They're happy enough with the general activities.
      My grandchildren didn't go to the kids cub when we took them on RCI because there was so much else to do and they annoyed spending time with us but I cant imagine what CMV ships will be able to offer. Also, they are in danger of alienating their regular customers. I haven't sailed with CMV but I a have been for lunch on board Marco Polo with a ship's tour. From what I saw of the cabins they were hardly big enough for 2 people let alone a family. Even the so called superior cabins were small and not very well equipped.

Comment

Child friendly as in you can bring your kids.

These are targeted cruises not every trip on every ship.

2 (Aug) school hols trips on Columbus 2017
        8 School holidays trips on Columbus and Magallan 2018

all on the the larger ships of the fleet.

Plenty of options left for the regular customer

The 4th AUg(with £99 3/4) is sold out for 3/4 berth anyway, the 2nd 2017 cruise is £199 for the 3/4 pax

Looking at next year there are OK prices for a family of 4, some OK solo rates as well,
        Take the kids and granny to babysit.
        Last edited by Topdeck, London; 26th June 2017, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          Child friendly as in you can bring your kids.

These are targeted cruises not every trip on every ship.

2 (Aug) school hols trips on Columbus 2017
          8 School holidays trips on Columbus and Magallan 2018

all on the the larger ships of the fleet.

Plenty of options left for the regular customer

The 4th AUg(with £99 3/4) is sold out for 3/4 berth anyway, the 2nd 2017 cruise is £199 for the 3/4 pax

Looking at next year there are OK prices for a family of 4, some OK solo rates as well,
          Take the kids and granny to babysit.
          You say this as if you know what is being organised and in your opinion, this is the only child friendly point about the cruises offered.

Personally I have no idea what the proposed 'tweaks' will be in order to make certain cruises more multi generational friendly but I do think Victoria and I are in the minority who realise not every family requires children's clubs and amazing child/teen entertainment on tap.

Some families do a pretty decent job of 'entertaining' their family themselves, usually by not actually having to entertain as the children are pretty self sufficient at that themselves.

If the product is priced accordingly, the families will come and if they are aware of the lack of water chutes and children's clubs and are used to the old fashioned idea of a family holidaying together and making [with the help here of 'tweaks'] their own entertainment, then small cabins or suites, the tweaks laid on should be fine.

As for other passengers, it's school holidays and the ship wasn't, as far as I know, an adult only ship. The children will probably be few in number and I am taking a guess here, will not be of the marauding gang variety who stalk the ship's corridors causing mayhem. Other guests will be fine and if they're anything like me, will love watching the younger passengers enjoying their time on-board.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            You say this as if you know what is being organised and in your opinion, this is the only child friendly point about the cruises offered.

Personally I have no idea what the proposed 'tweaks' will be in order to make certain cruises more multi generational friendly but I do think Victoria and I are in the minority who realise not every family requires children's clubs and amazing child/teen entertainment on tap.

Some families do a pretty decent job of 'entertaining' their family themselves, usually by not actually having to entertain as the children are pretty self sufficient at that themselves.

If the product is priced accordingly, the families will come and if they are aware of the lack of water chutes and children's clubs and are used to the old fashioned idea of a family holidaying together and making [with the help here of 'tweaks'] their own entertainment, then small cabins or suites, the tweaks laid on should be fine.

As for other passengers, it's school holidays and the ship wasn't, as far as I know, an adult only ship. The children will probably be few in number and I am taking a guess here, will not be of the marauding gang variety who stalk the ship's corridors causing mayhem. Other guests will be fine and if they're anything like me, will love watching the younger passengers enjoying their time on-board.
            I agree with yours and Victoria's comments, but let's face it not everyone is a cruise savvy as yourselves.

There is a world of first and low time cruisers who will see this as a cheap family friendly cruise and do no research whatsoever into the reality of the lack of facilities.

These are old ships and have the size of cabins to match their age.

CMV, like Olsen cater for a senior age group, and although their ships are not 'Adult Only', they might as well be for the demographic they attract............Wilba
            Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
              I agree with yours and Victoria's comments, but let's face it not everyone is a cruise savvy as yourselves.

There is a world of first and low time cruisers who will see this as a cheap family friendly cruise and do no research whatsoever into the reality of the lack of facilities.

These are old ships and have the size of cabins to match their age.

CMV, like Olsen cater for a senior age group, and although their ships are not 'Adult Only', they might as well be for the demographic they attract............Wilba
              One can only hope, when potential passengers book, they book with a reputable agent who will be able to stress the lack of actual youth facilities.

Reading the blurb, it does come across as the same kind of setup we came across in our early days of cruising. No actual facilities but the set up tweaked to include families.

The reviews, if any, will be interesting.

Comment

Having read all the previous comments I can only add that if someone asked me if a CMV of Fred Olsen cruise was suitable for kids, I would say that IMO, no they are not.
                They are definitely geared to the older passenger and have little to amuse kids apart from maybe a table tennis table and a swimming pool.

We don't have any grandchildren (yet) and so tend to go for kids free cruises. That said, we are unlikely to sail with CMV again.
                Jill

Comment

I believe there are couple of river cruises that now how to attract families on selected dates.
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Having said that mine never attended the kids' clubs when younger, I do realise of course that they kept each other company. It might be a different story with an only child.

Comment

Try reading what CMV have said about these cruises.

Untill they elaborate the offer is

Extended passenger age acceptable and no facilities for children.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                        Try reading what CMV have said about these cruises.

Untill they elaborate the offer is

Extended passenger age acceptable and no facilities for children.
                        Basically sounds the same as our first cruise. No problem for the very few children on-board.

Comment

I know many families this type of cruise would suit, some living near to us. They are the ones whose holiday in tents, camping barns and youth hostels. They climb mountains, swim in cold lakes and make notes about wild life. I could name those who would love a cheap cruise without any of the usual facilities, where they could see different ports and visit museums, galleries or walk into the country side.
                          A small cabin would give more comfort than the cramped tent, and there's food on tap, plus a shower room of your own...
                          Yes, it sounds the ideal holiday for some of our families and the multitude of camping tourists around here.
                          In a previous post we were asked how we'd spend lottery winnings; I'd love to give a holiday to some families around here, but I know that they'd hate a week on RCI or similar.
                          Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X