• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessible Cabins on Marco Polo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diplomats, western north carolina, usa
    started a topic Accessible Cabins on Marco Polo

Accessible Cabins on Marco Polo

Have booked Marco Polo for August "Round Britain" cruise. Party includes one person using a wheelchair and have booked an accessible cabin for him. Anyone with any experience with the accessible cabins on Marco Polo?? Would love to have some information on those cabins, for example, are they large enough for the wheelchair to circulate within the cabin? Is there a raised threshold between the ensuite and the rest of the cabin? Is there access to all areas of the ship in a wheelchair or are there bulkheads/watertight doors in the corridors? Appreciate any information, Thanks.

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Welcome aboard. I am quite a fan of the Marco Polo and the "Round Britain" itineraries. I wrote quite an extensive review, if you need some general information about the ship:

http://wp.me/PfRKD-1oF

Unfortunately I cannot assist you with your questions as I have no experience of the accessible cabins. I have not seen this grade. However I cannot imagine MP is the best ship for a wheelchair user, as she was built long before mobility issues were even considered.

In fact CMV do not sound too confident themselves, on their web site, about their accessibility:

A cruise is quite unlike a land based holiday and the ships of our fleet are not ideally suited to prospective passengers in wheelchairs or those who have limited mobility. It should be noted that the layout of the ship could considerably restrict such passengers’ movement around the vessel and indeed preclude access to some of the ports of call, where gangway conditions are not conducive or passengers are conveyed ashore by tender. At anchorage ports, access to or from the tenders or launches requires a certain level of mobility which is necessary to manage the steps to the tender platform and to physically board and disembark from the vessel. It should therefore be noted that, on safety grounds, those with restricted mobility may be unable to go ashore at such ports.

I do love the ship/line and I think that you will enjoy the more intimate/friendly experience, compared to mega-ships. At least your friend will have a party to support him.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X