• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Event Marco Polo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradbury, Coventry
    started a topic Overnight Event Marco Polo

Overnight Event Marco Polo

As a very last minute decision, we booked one of the festive overnight events on Marco Polo a couple of days prior to Christmas. The ship was berthed in Bristol Avonmouth overnight. The blurb stated a welcome on board cocktail, 7 course Dinner with half a bottle of wine per person, Show and Entertainment. Cost £109 pp

We joined up with Wilba and Mrs W and chose inside cabins on the Pacific Deck which seems to house the majority of the cabins. Although both the same grade, there were slight differences in the layout but mainly a two berth (beds not together configuration) with a dressing table/chest of drawers inbetween. I also very quickly spotted the pull out tray in the top of the drawers - something I remember from olden childhood days of cruising - this is what the cabin steward would pull out as he came with the tray of tea ordered in the morning as standard service in days gone by. A double wardrobe housed the safe and lifejackets and a reasonably sized shower to the side. The beds are old, narrow and not something I could endure for a long cruise, but a bed for the night was all that was needed.

Our embarkation time was 4.45 but we decided to turn up at 4 and after filling in a health quiz, the ropes were opened up and we were going through security and on board in a flash. Cabins were ready so we offloaded our overnight bag and went off to investigate the lounge and the welcome on board drink.
    This turned out not be a one off hand out as we walked into the lounge but a full two hours of waiters walking around and handing out rum punch cocktail or fizz. This was a pleasant surprise which we made good use of.
    At 6 we returned to our cabins to get ready for the evening dinner which was at 7.30pm in one sitting. The meal was excellent - A choice of 3 starters, 2 soups, 2 Salads, 4 Mains, Dessert, and Coffee. The wine was freely poured with very generous measures and freely topped up when required.
    The after dinner show which lasted around 40mins was ok, infact very amateurish but nevertheless passed away the evening before we went up to the nightclub lounge for dancing the night away. The singers did Caberet spots to popular dance tunes before turning into a Disco.

Breakfast was included the following morning - the usual buffet fare. A reasonable choice. Disembarkation time was 9.30am

Overall it was a great pre Christmas event and we really enjoyed it. I would definitely consider doing this again next year.

• Topdeck, London
    replied
    Do the longer ones after the overnight.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
    Magellan has a 5 night on the 6th Dec and a 4night on 13th Dec
    They could be tagged onto a 1 night.
    Thanks for that. I might consider it.

Leave a comment:

• Bradbury, Coventry
    replied
    I did wonder about this myself and quite how it would work.. Would we have to pay the lunch time and the dinner time fee?

Leave a comment:

• Bradbury, Coventry
    replied
    The overnight events are now live.
    (same as the list I posted)

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/overnight-events

Some solos from £70
    I spotted this too last night - I think its a system pricing error as it states £69 but requires a deposit of £109!! It cant be right when a price in a double is £109 pp
    I was going to post - you bet me to it!

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Thanks TD. I will be on a cruise for the who;e of October and Tilbury/ Bristol is a step too far for us for one night- shame.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied

Some solos from £70
    Thanks TD, I'll be there on one of them.................Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Topdeck, London
    replied

Some solos from £70

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
    I have waved two sets of friends off today, both of whom I persuaded to try cruising. One pair flying to Buenos Aires then Celebrity with Falklands and Antarctica and the other two on Fred around the Caribbean .

I know which I would prefer ..Carol
    So do I, except it wouldn't be with Celebrity!! QV, or Silver Explorer/ a Quark ship for a more in depth experience.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    I have waved two sets of friends off today, both of whom I persuaded to try cruising. One pair flying to Buenos Aires then Celebrity with Falklands and Antarctica and the other two on Fred around the Caribbean .

I know which I would prefer ..Carol

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post

Sounds great!

Take care, Helen
    Thanks, nice/lucky to be able to do it

Leave a comment:

• Mason, Altrincham
    replied
    Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

The start of Feb will bring 2 weeks of winter sun and warm weather golf in a very nice AI hotel.

John
    Sounds great!

Take care, Helen

Leave a comment:

• Haworth, Wokingham
    replied
    Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
    Something like that in Liverpool would be very tempting. I have to admit to suffering withdrawal symptoms regarding cruising with the miserable, grey weather we’ve had so far this winter. Raise your hand anyone who needs a sunshine break🖐.

Take care, Helen
    The start of Feb will bring 2 weeks of winter sun and warm weather golf in a very nice AI hotel.

John

Leave a comment:

• Mason, Altrincham
    replied
    Something like that in Liverpool would be very tempting. I have to admit to suffering withdrawal symptoms regarding cruising with the miserable, grey weather we’ve had so far this winter. Raise your hand anyone who needs a sunshine break🖐.

Take care, Helen

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X