• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laid Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laid Up

Having completed two Eastern Mediterranean cruises in the last three months one rather odd statistic came to my attention.

Both cruises sailed into Piraeus and one into Limassol.

Piraeus happens to be where Louis Cruises has a large office which is passed when walking to or from the Piraeus railway station...

Fondly referred to on the CruiseCritic website as the cruise line you never return to, Louis Cruises, it would appear, had a number of ships 'laid up' in Piraeus...

The Orient Queen

The Louis Cristal

and...

The Louis Olympia

All three ships were as dead as dodos with the odd maintenance crew wandering around...

Recognising that there is a kind of recession going on in Greece it does however appear that Louis Cruises don't have the stomach for late autumn and winter cruising. Or is this standard procedure for this rather budget level line: cruise while the sun shines.

Another curiosity, also laid up, spotted in Limassol was Thomson's Island Escape...

Talk about the Mary Celeste.

I have noted that island escape is scheduled to restart her cruising itinerary on 13 March 2013 commencing with a 'Temples and Tavernas' itinerary.

Is it just me or is there a distinct feeling that these budget cruise ships are feeling the pinch more than the major cruise lines?
    Last edited by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent; 12th December 2012, 08:59 AM.

I think all cruise lines are feeling the pinch, only last week on this forum ( I believe ) Azura Xmas cruise 12 days on offer at £499 for a balcony cabin, a couple of weeks earlier QE ( again if memory serves me right ) £499 for a balcony for 10 nights, not just the "budget lines" struggling by the look of it.
    Jo

Comment

"Is it just me or is there a distinct feeling that these budget cruise ships are feeling the pinch more than the major cruise lines?"

or it could be the power of the forums speaking.

Comment

A winter mothball has been standard procedure for Thomson Spirit and Island Escape for some time. Thomson only have enough demand and destinations for 3 ships in the winter season, Caribbean, Canaries and Red Sea.

I imagine louis have the same low demand during winter.

In contrast a 'large' cruise line like P&O only keep their ships operational in the winter by sending some round the world, demand for those is iffy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
          "Is it just me or is there a distinct feeling that these budget cruise ships are feeling the pinch more than the major cruise lines?"
          Yes! It looks like only the major players have the resources to wheather the financial storm.

(Nice images Richard).
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
            Having completed two Eastern Mediterranean cruises in the last three months one rather odd statistic came to my attention.

Both cruises sailed into Piraeus and one into Limassol.

Piraeus happens to be where Louis Cruises has a large office which is passed when walking to or from the Piraeus railway station...

Fondly referred to on the CruiseCritic website as the cruise line you never return to, Louis Cruises, it would appear, had a number of ships 'laid up' in Piraeus...

The Orient Queen

The Louis Cristal

and...

The Louis Olympia

All three ships were as dead as dodos with the odd maintenance crew wandering around...

Recognising that there is a kind of recession going on in Greece it does however appear that Louis Cruises don't have the stomach for late autumn and winter cruising. Or is this standard procedure for this rather budget level line: cruise while the sun shines.

Another curiosity, also laid up, spotted in Limassol was Thomson's Island Escape...

Talk about the Mary Celeste.

I have noted that island escape is scheduled to restart her cruising itinerary on 13 March 2013 commencing with a 'Temples and Tavernas' itinerary.

Is it just me or is there a distinct feeling that these budget cruise ships are feeling the pinch more than the major cruise lines?
            I understand some of the "major cruise lines" as you call them have resorted to selling Coffee and Mattresses, and going on recent reviews their cost cutting measures are also taking their toll, just read a couple of reviews on the QM2 not very good, so I would go as far as suggesting it's the whole cruise industry feeling the pinch.

Nice pictures though.

Regards Diddy

Comment

Originally posted by Diddy, Norwich View Post
              I understand some of the "major cruise lines" as you call them have resorted to selling Coffee and Mattresses, and going on recent reviews their cost cutting measures are also taking their toll, just read a couple of reviews on the QM2 not very good, so I would go as far as suggesting it's the whole cruise industry feeling the pinch.

Nice pictures though.

Regards Diddy
              Hi Diddy
              Is that true about coffee and mattresses?
              Havent seen that, but Malcom brought this up a few days ago.

http://www.cruises.co.uk/767-chit_ch...ll_me_tea.html

Times are hard indeed.

Regards
              Garfield

P.S.
              Just to keep in context
              Nice pictures Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                Hi Diddy
                Is that true about coffee and mattresses?
                Havent seen that, but Malcom brought this up a few days ago.

http://www.cruises.co.uk/767-chit_ch...ll_me_tea.html

Times are hard indeed.

Regards
                Garfield

P.S.
                Just to keep in context
                Nice pictures Richard.
                Yes you are correct Garfield, it was Tea by Twinnings and Beds by Sealy, my mistake.

Regards Diddy.
                Last edited by Diddy, Norwich; 12th December 2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Yes you are correct Garfield, it was Tea, my mistake.

Regards Diddy.

Hi Diddy
                  Thought so.
                  Didn't want to make a LIAR out of you
                  Hope you won't GRASS me up to the authorities for pointing it out.
                  Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

Can I just ask... does Louis Olympia come originally from the same stable as the ship which P&O once had, called Artemis? It's just that unusual shaped funnel had me wondering.....

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      Hi Diddy
                      Thought so.
                      Didn't want to make a LIAR out of you
                      Hope you won't GRASS me up to the authorities for pointing it out.
                      Regards
                      Garfield
                      No fear there Garfield, I can take it like a BIG MAN should.

Regards Diddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa, Kernow View Post
                        Can I just ask... does Louis Olympia come originally from the same stable as the ship which P&O once had, called Artemis? It's just that unusual shaped funnel had me wondering.....
                        Hi Pippa.
                        She started life as RCL Song of America........but better known as the much loved Thomson Destiny.
                        In between she was Airtours Sunbird.
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Getting a good night s sleep!

Yes you are correct Garfield, it was Tea by Twinnings and Beds by Sealy, my mistake.

Regards Diddy.

Well, I have never been asked to buy a mattress on Cunard. I am not aware that they sell them other than that people probably ask what make they are and then they recommend them the passengers. I can say though that the new beds with Sealy mattresses on them on Queen Elizabeth's maiden world cruise in 2011 were so comfy you could have stayed in bed all day and never have got up! I found them so comfortable and I am used to an expensive comfy bed as we have a Tempur mattress at home. Now as I say not sure about Cunard selling mattresses but I do know for certain they give them away to the poor people of Namibia. I took these photos earlier this year when QM2 was visiting. It took them all day to remove hundreds of mattresses from the ship and they were taken away for the locals to make use of. Good for Cunard recycling and saving the planet to hoot!

Comment

Thanks for that info, JC. I get a tad confused when a ship has been repainted and then renamed... I forget who was who... lol

Hello Maggiemou. That's interesting. I think that P&O dropped off some furniture etc to the people of St Lucia, when they visited in the aftermath of hurricane Tomas in 2010. They arrived with much needed bottled water too. Hubby & I had booked a hotel there but when the hurricane struck just 10 days before our arrival, the Foreign Office advised that people shouldn't travel there. We received a full refund from our TA and then booked ourselves onto Ventura's Caribbean cruise a few weeks later. By chance, she was one of the first ships to be able to dock there again, so we were relieved to be able to offer our support to the lovely islanders via our tourist dollars. We love St Lucia.

Comment

Originally posted by Dancing Queen, Chesterfield View Post
                              I think all cruise lines are feeling the pinch, only last week on this forum ( I believe ) Azura Xmas cruise 12 days on offer at £499 for a balcony cabin, a couple of weeks earlier QE ( again if memory serves me right ) £499 for a balcony for 10 nights, not just the "budget lines" struggling by the look of it.
                              Hi Jo

I actually saw the Azura Christmas cruise advertised for £415 in a local travel agent last Saturday. My first 7 night cruise on the Island Escape over ten years ago had a lead-in price of £465.

When you consider that P&O have similar on-board prices to Thomson and Island and are offering cruises at similar prices per night, then I'm not surprised that the IE is laid up. That said, I'm not suggesting that everyone would choose Azura over Island Escape, but I would say it is the superior ship.

Bob

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X