• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETERC, ESUSSEX
    started a topic Saga

Saga

I would be interested to hear from anyone out there on their experiences with Saga cruises. In particular on their latest ship Saga Pearl II.

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    [QUOTE=gardeners, bracknell;513949]
    Originally posted by Motley Crew, Kendal 'ish' View Post
    Sorry for delay in reply, we live outside SAGAs 250 miles free transport, but you can pay for the transport, they charge by the mile over and above the 250 miles, our next cruises from Southampton will cost us £110 for the two of us for the transport for both of us, to pick us up and return us home.
    I think this is still cheap, car parking at Southampton the last time we took the car was £140 for 2 weeks (one of our cruises if for 24 nights so would be in the region of £250) plus fuel money and the hassle
    Hiya Motley,
    We were joining ship in Aukland, could we put our cases on before they sailed? Yes, they said, they collected our excess (4 large suitcases) before the ship sailed a month earlier and when we arrived on ship, there were our cases in the cabin. Super service. We could have delivered them to the ship, no charge, but opted for their collection for a fee, no hassle for us, and a super last two thirds of a world cruise with enough kit for the next two and a half months. Oh joy.
    Ta ra,
    Alan
    Fully agree with you Alan.

We did a 14 night Round Britain with saga and their service levels were outstanding.

Not quite our cruising ethos but very enjoyable all the same.

Apart from the food and service, we revelled in the space on the dance floor after the evening show.

Leave a comment:

• gardeners, bracknell
    replied
    [QUOTE=Motley Crew, Kendal 'ish';513932]Sorry for delay in reply, we live outside SAGAs 250 miles free transport, but you can pay for the transport, they charge by the mile over and above the 250 miles, our next cruises from Southampton will cost us £110 for the two of us for the transport for both of us, to pick us up and return us home.
    I think this is still cheap, car parking at Southampton the last time we took the car was £140 for 2 weeks (one of our cruises if for 24 nights so would be in the region of £250) plus fuel money and the hassle
    Hiya Motley,
    We were joining ship in Aukland, could we put our cases on before they sailed? Yes, they said, they collected our excess (4 large suitcases) before the ship sailed a month earlier and when we arrived on ship, there were our cases in the cabin. Super service. We could have delivered them to the ship, no charge, but opted for their collection for a fee, no hassle for us, and a super last two thirds of a world cruise with enough kit for the next two and a half months. Oh joy.
    Ta ra,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Motley Crew, Kendal 'ish'
    replied
    Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
    Is there any restriction on the free home travel?- I see you're also from Cumbria. I thought that the travel had various bands of distance.....do you make your own way, or is there travel for such as us?
    Sorry for delay in reply, we live outside SAGAs 250 miles free transport, but you can pay for the transport, they charge by the mile over and above the 250 miles, our next cruises from Southampton will cost us £110 for the two of us for the transport for both of us, to pick us up and return us home.
    I think this is still cheap, car parking at Southampton the last time we took the car was £140 for 2 weeks (one of our cruises if for 24 nights so would be in the region of £250) plus fuel money and the hassle etc, Saga have waited for their passengers previously when a number were delayed due to accident on the motorway.

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    Yes, it does all sound very civilised.....we would prefer the train, even with several changes, so would have to ring and work things out.
    I suppose the other way would be train as far as Oxford, to see relatives, then car the next day.

Leave a comment:

• rdw123, peterborough
    replied
    Is there any restriction on the free home travel?- I see you're also from Cumbria. I thought that the travel had various bands of distance.....do you make your own way, or is there travel for such as us?
    I think the car service is restricted to 250 miles. If you are over that you can pay the extra mileage or I believe you can fly or train down instead. They will lay on a car to get you across London for a small amount, or they used to. Much more civilised than humping luggage on the underground. We have used Saga for several long haul holidays and 5 cruises and never had a single problem.

Leave a comment:

• gardeners, bracknell
    replied
    Jocap, I think Saga quote 250 miles. We are lucky, close to both Dover and Southampton. Ask them, they are quite good at answering your queries. And they do want bums on seats.
    Ta ra,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Jocap, Cumbria
    replied
    We first cruised with Saga and after a while decided to try a different cruise line, although the alternative cruise line was initially cheaper, the bottom line was very nearly the same as the Saga cruise, but (and it is a very large but) the standard of food and service was nowhere near as good as Saga !

We're 'young' Saga cruisers, both in our 50's, we love the service and the relaxed style of Saga, one sitting for dinner, if you want anything, no problem, loads of staff to help etc. A lot of the oldies are more active than some people think and can be very interesting to chat to, I've had many an entertaining evening with some interesting characters.

Never had a problem with foul mouthed bad tempered idiots on board Saga ships who cant hold their drink either. There are an increasing number of 'younger' Saga customers who like us when we first sailed with them, are pretty impressed with the brand, not as much of the 'old fogey line' as people imagine.

As has been said elsewhere, you get what you pay for !

Leave a comment:

• gardeners, bracknell
    replied
    Originally posted by Dancer, Bridgend View Post
    My last post on this thread was just before we went on our first Saga cruise, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Being picked up from home and brought back to our door at the end was a real treat! Also not having to worry about extras like insurance and gratuities was worth it. Being an all-inclusive cruise it was a real bonus. I hadexpected that the included drinks would be cheap 'house' rubbish, but it wa all good quality stuff. My husband is fussy about beer but was more than happy with the selection, and I was able to indulge my taste for brandy andd lemonade to my heart's content. I realise of course that most Saga cruises are not all-inclusive! The service on board was second to none, the food was excellent, and the entertainment was far superior to that we fund on a later P&O cruise! We will definitely go with Saga again!
    My wife and I joined Saga after two superb cruises with the ship Bolero, don't know the line, and Fred Olsens Braemar. Our first was a part world cruise and it was superb. We have done another world cruise and many others, even the Saga Saphire inaugural cruise which was aborted in Cartegena after many troubles. This did not detract from the enjoyment of the ship and its service. We received transport home and a full refund, quite a feat, and all offered without asking. That was their deal. Superb treatment, which is what you get with Saga.
    We found the excursions were well handled, full of content, and very secure. I must add that as we are Gold Members, because of our many cruises with them, you get lovely perks. The crew tend to recognise you from the last time you were aboard, rather amazing if you miss a year.The entertainment is top class with a floor show as a must see. We will be joining the Saphire for the Emerald Isle cruise for my 80th. birthday and we will still shake a leg in the nightclub.
    I could add whoo hoo Liz here.
    Ta ra,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Dancer, Bridgend
    replied
    My last post on this thread was just before we went on our first Saga cruise, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Being picked up from home and brought back to our door at the end was a real treat! Also not having to worry about extras like insurance and gratuities was worth it. Being an all-inclusive cruise it was a real bonus. I hadexpected that the included drinks would be cheap 'house' rubbish, but it wa all good quality stuff. My husband is fussy about beer but was more than happy with the selection, and I was able to indulge my taste for brandy andd lemonade to my heart's content. I realise of course that most Saga cruises are not all-inclusive! The service on board was second to none, the food was excellent, and the entertainment was far superior to that we fund on a later P&O cruise! We will definitely go with Saga again!

Leave a comment:

• rdw123, peterborough
    replied
    We first cruised with Saga and after a while decided to try a different cruise line, although the alternative cruise line was initially cheaper, the bottom line was very nearly the same as the Saga cruise, but (and it is a very large but) the standard of food and service was nowhere near as good as Saga !

We're 'young' Saga cruisers, both in our 50's, we love the service and the relaxed style of Saga, one sitting for dinner, if you want anything, no problem, loads of staff to help etc. A lot of the oldies are more active than some people think and can be very interesting to chat to, I've had many an entertaining evening with some interesting characters.

Never had a problem with foul mouthed bad tempered idiots on board Saga ships who cant hold their drink either. There are an increasing number of 'younger' Saga customers who like us when we first sailed with them, are pretty impressed with the brand, not as much of the 'old fogey line' as people imagine.

I agree with you, you get what you pay for. We have cruised 5 times with Saga, 4 on Spirit of Adventure and 1 on Pearl 2. We found the food excellent with local dishes for the area served. Staff are also excellent, nothing too much trouble for them. We did prefer the Spirit though and were sad to see her go. A big plus is the car service from your front door with no hassle and also insurance and gratuities included, also no service charges included. We will sail with them again soon when an itinerary takes our fancy. As you say no lager louts and mostly very nice people.

Leave a comment:

• Motley Crew, Kendal 'ish'
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Smee, Burntwood
    replied
    We have often looked at Saga cruises (in fact they keep sending me cruise brochures) but as already said I too always thought they were relatively expensive.
    But there is some interesting information on this thread maybe I should look again..

Leave a comment:

• Dancer, Bridgend
    replied
    This is the first time I have seen any mention of Saga on this website!
    I had often thought they were a bit pricey, but taking into account all the perks - eg included insurance, home pick up etc, it is probably worth it. Anyway, I am going on Saga Pearl II in February to the Canaries. This particular cruise is also all-inclusive so I shall look forward to what is included.
    Is anyone else booked on this cruise. I can't remember the number but it leaves Southampton on February 14th and is for two weeks

Leave a comment:

• PETERC, ESUSSEX
    replied
    Thanks for info. Can anyone comment on any noise problem as I am a very light sleeper? We are on A deck and below Discovery lounge. This I believe is the main entertainment venue and I know on most cruise ships it is advisable to avoid proximity to theatres, due to performances and rehersals.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X