• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VoD cancelling Egypt????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VoD cancelling Egypt????

Has anyone heard whether VoD will go down the same route as MSC and others, and cancel cruises to Egyptian ports? We are due to sail in 'Voyager', November 2nd, Piraeus to Sharm via Port Said etc then onwards: Safaga, Jibouti, Dubai. Can anyone advise us? We have heard nothing yet from VoD or TA about cancellations or radical itinerary changes?

Your safety is the company's first concern. If others consider Egypt to be hazardous at present I expect VoD will follow their lead. They are probably waiting to watch how things in that part of the world develop. Good luck.

Comment

MSC have not cancelled the Lirica cruise on 6th November from Genoa to Dubai at the moment is the latest from MSC it is only the Armonia that is cancelled as it was being based in Egypt over the winter but 2 months can change a lot!

Comment

Thank you Kestrel and Cooke.

Of course we understand that safety is the prime concern and that changes must be made. Our hope is that any changes to the itinerary are notified as far as possible in advance and are not too radical. Missing Petra and Alexandria would be disappointing, of course, but the problem is what may be substituted: some lines seem to be re-routing to the Greek isles and, as we live there, that would be a bit unfortunate for us!

We have now been in touch with both our TA [Iglu] and VoD; neither know anything and seem remarkably uninterested.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Just heard from MSC Lirica cruise through Suez Canal to Dubai in November is NOTcancelled! Don't know about ports cancelledif any!

Comment

That's hopeful, then! Thank you, Kestrel.

Comment

Originally posted by galazio, greece View Post
              Thank you Kestrel and Cooke.

Of course we understand that safety is the prime concern and that changes must be made. Our hope is that any changes to the itinerary are notified as far as possible in advance and are not too radical. Missing Petra and Alexandria would be disappointing, of course, but the problem is what may be substituted: some lines seem to be re-routing to the Greek isles and, as we live there, that would be a bit unfortunate for us!

We have now been in touch with both our TA [Iglu] and VoD; neither know anything and seem remarkably uninterested.

We'll just have to wait and see.
              Hi there,

IMO, missing Alexandria wouldn't be a great issue. Spent three days there last year, mostly in traffic jams on the Corniche!!

Catacombs were interesting for an hour or so and the new library is astonishing, but not much else to see and the traffic is appaling, worse than Cairo!

I've tried to load up some pictures, but it just won't happen.

Octavia

Comment

Thank you, Octavia! I've wanted to see Alexandria forever; I desperately want to see the library and I'd love to see your pictures, if you can get them up-loaded at all. Your post made me laugh, at least, and so far we still don't have news of any changes ... so fingers crossed. HD

Comment

Originally posted by galazio, greece View Post
                  Thank you, Octavia! I've wanted to see Alexandria forever; I desperately want to see the library and I'd love to see your pictures, if you can get them up-loaded at all. Your post made me laugh, at least, and so far we still don't have news of any changes ... so fingers crossed. HD

I loved my visit to Egypt including Alexandria, in the few hours stop at Alexandria we visited the Waterfront, the Castle, the National Museum and the Roman Amphitheatre.

You can find a few photo's by just clicking the following links, to view the photo's larger, just click on the two small white arrows. Or click on the three white dots and then slide show.

Alexandria, Egypt (Thomson Spirit Cruise 2010) - a set on Flickr

Alexandria National Museum ( Thomson Spirit Cruise 2010. - a set on Flickr

In the meantime here are a couple of photo's, one of the amphitheatre and one taken of the waterfront

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 26th July 2013, 03:13 PM.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Oh, thank you so much, Delboy, for those super photos and links: my appetite for Alexandria is well and truly whetted now! If they end up cancelling it, I'll die! HD

Comment

We are on Seven Seas Voyager in April from Dubai to Rome via the Middle east ,via the Suez Canal then onto Haifa and across the Med ( greek islands , sicily,etc) . It was being sold at ( relatively) bargain prices as I think they were originally due to call in at Egyptian ports but rearranged the cruise because of safety concerns although i see there are still some cruises going to ports like Sharm El Sheik (sic).
                      Alexandria DOES have some really beautiful sights ( great photos in the thread) it , like cairo and many of the Egyptian cities , is still one of the dirtiest cities I have visited

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X