• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discovery goes down market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fossil1, London View Post
    Hi Lacy as far as I can recall it is now non smoking as is the rest of the ship. The only place I saw people smoking was on the open deck by Waves Bar. Enjoy your cruise. Discovery has had her fair share of bad publicity recently but that will be forgotten as with other ships that have suffered teething troubles in the same way. I genuinely did not suffer any problems and would go on her again.
    I was on Ocean Countess in May 2010 ( her fourth cruise with CMV ) and she had had some awful reviews but we had a very nice cruise ourselves. I was also on OC when she experienced engine failure in May12 and CMV responded very quickly with alternative ( and free) port excursions plus compensation packages; as they did this season with Discovery and Marco Polo. I like the detail in their pre cruise information and embarkation instructions - all sent by post.

Comment

Hey the photos look good so thanks for them Fossil1, and she is in better condition inside than I thought she would be, this is my sort of ship, although as I stated earlier in the thread that the early reports said the crew being East European were unsmiling and dower, did you find that this was the case?
      I would certainly like to cruise on her but my wife would probably like conformation of good shows before any bookings take place

Comment

Hi Propshaft,
        Personally speaking I did not consider the crew to be "unsmiling and dower". However I have to admit to spending a lot of time in Eastern Europe each year and I have become used to them. In the beginning I did find them less smiley than other races but that is just their way. They are in fact a very hospitable and polite people.
        Fossil1

Comment

Originally posted by PropShaft, Colne View Post
          Hey the photos look good so thanks for them Fossil1, and she is in better condition inside than I thought she would be, this is my sort of ship, although as I stated earlier in the thread that the early reports said the crew being East European were unsmiling and dower, did you find that this was the case?
          I would certainly like to cruise on her but my wife would probably like conformation of good shows before any bookings take place
          Originally posted by Fossil1, London View Post
          Hi Propshaft,
          Personally speaking I did not consider the crew to be "unsmiling and dower". However I have to admit to spending a lot of time in Eastern Europe each year and I have become used to them. In the beginning I did find them less smiley than other races but that is just their way. They are in fact a very hospitable and polite people.
          Sorry to be pedantic but this did make me smile. I think you probably meant to say the staff were "dour" rather than "dower". Two entirely different words and probably as different to each other as you could get.

cheers
          Harvey

Comment

Well spotted Harvey, just be as pedantic as you like its all good Cruise Dot entertainment, sometimes I have a little smile at peoples bloomers as well, I should have checked the txt but that might not have been much of a good idea either as I am ok at spelling long words correctly, but small ones wrong, my Aunt said I was word dyslexic, anyway the spell checker ok'd it because dower is a word, Latin: evidently, as it gives rise to Dowager.
            Anyway be warned in future there will be the odd spelling mistake

Comment

There was nothing "down market " about the recent cruise I enjoyed on Discovery. It was my 16th cruise and the entertainment was the best I have experienced on any ship: the time tabling of the evening events meant that I was able to enjoy all that was on offer after 1st sitting dinner. A half hour of classical music by Carmen duo in the Discovery theatre followed by the excellent Chris Dean and the Syd Laurence Orchestra in Carousel Lounge rounded off by cabaret and dancing in the Discovery Lounge with Excelsior Duo and Richard Sykes. All these venues are on the same deck so easy to access. The newly furnished MDR is very tasteful and a big improvement, as is the Discovery lounge and Hideaway bar.There was not as great a selection of food in the Lido buffet as previously but food was good quality. The MDR menus were very varied and always good-sometimes excellent! An older, smaller ship is still my preferred option but I also like MSC (their smaller ships of course!).

Comment

I am glad you enjoyed the entertainment. However I am destination driven and never go to the entertainment. Was the cruise still port intensive, with reasonable times for visits? Were you still allocated a fixed table for a fixed dinner time? Is there any possibility avoiding this? How expensive was the wine (probably why I miss the entertainment)? I am still interested in this ship if the price and itinerary are right but have booked our next cruise on Swan Hellenic's Minerva, because of the itinerary and open dining policy.

Comment

I did the Celtic cruise and port visits each day were long enough for me - I prefer to be at sea with interesting scenery, a warm climate and a good book or agreeable companions. Dinner is two set times 17.45 or 20.15. The Lido Buffet and Yacht club provide alternative dining.I believe the wine started at £14 and I was very happy with a Californian Tempranillo at £18 a bottle.

Comment

Many thanks for this information. I will certainly look out for an interesting trip. I also like small ships and good coversation.

Comment

Just received brochure of her cruises up to 21st October 14. Lots of choice from Bristol, Liverpool and Hull plus three Scottish ports to consider also. Hope you find an itinerary you like and enjoy a cruise to remember.

Comment

Thank you. I am just off for a trip on our own boat. 30 feet of pure luxury it is not. Smaller than most cabins on a cruise. Work locks. Go shopping. Cook meals. Serve meals. Wash up. Turn the dining table into part of the bed. Turn it back in the morning. Hope the rain does not get in and emerge as a stream of dirty water on one's head in the night......but enjoyable; just different. I like the idea of cruising around the UK. Not that keen on long car trips, so it seems a good way of travel. Hope you also find a suitable trip.

Comment

Sounds like fun: as you say, just different! I did once spend a very uncomfortable night in the top bunk of a canal boat with the condensation off the metal windows soaking into the bedding. Hope you stay dry!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X