• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swan Hellenic Minerva

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swan Hellenic Minerva

We were thinking of booking a cruise on Minerva until we saw some very poor reviews. Has anyone had any recent experience?

Academia afloat.

We have only had one experience of Swan Hellenic and that was on Minerva II.
    There were some really great people onboard and the free excursions with terrific experts were really great. The problem we found was that there were too many snobs and cliquey people on board.

Example: Four people were sitting at the next table and one said, " My dear, I have had a look at the Passenger List and I've checked in Who's Who and there really is no one worth knowing on this ship."

Example: We were going up in the lift with another person who had a towel over her arm and Ida said, innocently, " Are you going swimming in the pool", this person gave her a withering look and said, "No, other people use that".

Example: On deck, three of us were discussing a current affair concerning some demonstrators when a passer by interjected with some of the most radical ideas I have heard in a long while, insisting that we listen to this Oracle of Daftness.

Example: We were asked how we were enjoying our cruise and replied that it was great but would be better for a little more entertainment. The amazed reply was, " You come on here to be educated, not entertained"

Example: This ship is the original Minerva and greatly loved by all the followers of Mr. Swan. When Minerva II came into existence it was, to them as though their world had been invaded by the "Unclean" so a conversation was often initiated by the following question, "Are you a Min oner" if you answered in the negative the conversation went little further.

It may be different now and there were some excellent things that we enjoyed about the cruise but the old school were, in the main, intolerable. .......Neil

Comment

How totally amazing. The old guard lives on. How long ago was this experience Neil? It's a good job you didn't have me with you. I'm afraid I can't tolerate that kind of behaviour and whilst I would never presume to be rude or offensive, can get quite naughty when talking with human anachronisms.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
        We have only had one experience of Swan Hellenic and that was on Minerva II.
        There were some really great people onboard and the free excursions with terrific experts were really great. The problem we found was that there were too many snobs and cliquey people on board.

Example: Four people were sitting at the next table and one said, " My dear, I have had a look at the Passenger List and I've checked in Who's Who and there really is no one worth knowing on this ship."

Example: We were going up in the lift with another person who had a towel over her arm and Ida said, innocently, " Are you going swimming in the pool", this person gave her a withering look and said, "No, other people use that".

Example: On deck, three of us were discussing a current affair concerning some demonstrators when a passer by interjected with some of the most radical ideas I have heard in a long while, insisting that we listen to this Oracle of Daftness.

Example: We were asked how we were enjoying our cruise and replied that it was great but would be better for a little more entertainment. The amazed reply was, " You come on here to be educated, not entertained"

Example: This ship is the original Minerva and greatly loved by all the followers of Mr. Swan. When Minerva II came into existence it was, to them as though their world had been invaded by the "Unclean" so a conversation was often initiated by the following question, "Are you a Min oner" if you answered in the negative the conversation went little further.

It may be different now and there were some excellent things that we enjoyed about the cruise but the old school were, in the main, intolerable. .......Neil
        Hi

Have only recently joined this forum (I enjoy another forum and hope this one grows) and had to laugh at your comments Neil as having sailed on Minerva 11 four times before it's demise I can only agree with what you say!
        But there were others whos company we also enjoyed.
        I have just returned from a Swan River cruise (The Rhone) and plan to
        write a review shortly.
        Carol

Comment

Went on the Minerva I in August 2009 from Dover to Ireland, Channel Islands , France then back to Dover. Had a very nice restful cruise, food good with one sitting either in the Dinning room or anytime within certain times in the Lido bar. Ships library great, a small amount of entertainment, harpist in the cocktail bar in an evening, excusions are included with the price. Good lectures and interesting ports of call, system of calling to go out on excusions very good. Will be going again. Had previously been on Minerva 11 in the Amazon

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
          X