• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veranda vs Midship Veranda: location, location?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veranda vs Midship Veranda: location, location?

All.

My partner and I are new to cruising, so your advice is much appreciated. We are about to book on the Silver Spirit for a Med. cruise.

The suites we are currently considering are Veranda suites on levels 5 or 6 at the front of the ship. These are quite low down.

Is there anything wrong with this location? Put another way. What makes the midship Veranda suites worth more?

Is there more chance of movement at the front of the ship or something? Also. Is it better to be situated on the side of the ship which will face the coast?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

You are so very lucky to be travelling on Silversea, not a cruise line that many of us will have experienced, so cannot give your 'first hand' information.
    However to try and answer your question, Yes midships is far better as it is in a more stable position, you will feel more movement forward or aft although on ships nowadays you will hardly notice any movement from the sea swell. I would say just avoid those which are very forward and aim for somewhere nearer the middle.
    As for which side of the ship, well the ship can be travelling in either direction and you will probably find that at some point it has to turn around to make the return journey, so at different times it will have coast on different sides. Actually will the ship be that close to the coast for you to see much - No. It really wont matter too much which side of the ship you are on.

Comment

It is better to be in any cabin on 'Silverseas'.;)
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
        It is better to be in any cabin on 'Silverseas'.;)
        I'm with you on that one Malcolm.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Silm, Reading View Post
          All.

Is there anything wrong with this location? Put another way. What makes the midship Veranda suites worth more?

Steve.

I have sent a PM to steve
          But I thought I would show you all the difference.
          As you can see there is none except for location.

Personally I would prefer midship - each to their own I suppose.
          But as someone else said - anywhere on Silversea will do for me thanks.

Any other thoughts?

MIDSHIP VERANDA SUITE
          376 Sq. Ft. / 35 M2 (Veranda 65 Sq. Ft. / 6 M2 )
          The Midship Veranda Suite offers preferred central location with identical accommodation to a Veranda Suite.
          Some Veranda Suites accommodate three guests
          Teak veranda with patio furniture and floor-to-ceiling glass doors
          - Sitting area
          - Twin beds or queen-sized bed
          - Marbled bathroom with vanity, full-sized bath, separate shower
          - Walk-in wardrobe with personal safe
          - Vanity table with hair dryer
          - Writing desk
          - Flat-screen television with DVD and satellite reception
          - Direct-dial telephone

VERANDA SUITE
          376 Sq. Ft. / 35 M2 (Veranda 65 Sq. Ft. / 6 M2
          Some Veranda Suites accommodate three guests.
          Teak veranda with patio furniture and floor-to-ceiling glass doors
          - Sitting area
          - Twin beds or queen-sized bed
          - Marbled bathroom with vanity, full-sized bath, separate shower
          - Walk-in wardrobe with personal safe
          - Vanity table with hair dryer
          - Writing desk
          - Flat-screen television with DVD and satellite reception
          -Direct-dial telephone

Tel 0800 408 6119
          Blog:

Comment

Hi
            I have only just seen your request. I haven't been on Silver Spirit but I have sailed on the two smaller class of Silversea Vessels (Silver Shadow and Silver Cloud) both are wonderful. When you compare them to the other cruiselines [Celebrity, Cunard (I haven't tried the Queen's Grill] you realise how average they are, but at the time they seem very good. These are much smaller vessels and in rough seas there is a noticeable movement of the ship and this will be greatest at the ends of the ships so the midship suite is more desirable. In addition the rear of the ship is more prone to vibration and the forward cabins can experience some noise when dropping anchor/docking in the early morning. Silver Spirit is a larger ship and I would suspect the movement of the ship is less pronounced and so the extra cost of a midship suite is probably not worth it and just reflects the company's histroic pricing policy.
            Last edited by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 23rd January 2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

All.

My partner and I are new to cruising, so your advice is much appreciated. We are about to book on the Silver Spirit for a Med. cruise.

The suites we are currently considering are Veranda suites on levels 5 or 6 at the front of the ship. These are quite low down.

Is there more chance of movement at the front of the ship or something? Also. Is it better to be situated on the side of the ship which will face the coast?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
              I have recently sailed on silversea spirit and have compiled a detailed report which I am happy to let anyone have- you may have already sailed as I have only just seen your blog - a warning though whilst this is a fabulous ship and silversea is a premium cruise line - there are some negatives

Comment

Hi Cruiser, Chester. I am cruising with Silver Spirit in Nov 2011 and would really like to see your full report.
                This is for a special occasion and would like all the information we can get so we are well prepared. Hope you found the cruise to your liking and look forward to hearing about the Silversea cruising experience.

Many Thanks Walker, Leeds.

Comment

Could you advise me of the negatives and any information you could give me about the Silver Spirit I would be really grateful.

Comment

Could I please see your report on Silver Spirit, am due to join this ship on 23.11.11 and as this is a special cruise for us would like to know what to expect.
                    Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hi,

Just in case the original poster is not about, click on this link for reviews of Silversea Cruises, including the 'Spirit'

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/silversea/

Hope you have a great time, there reputation is excellent! Enjoy!
                      Lizzie sigpic

Comment

All.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
                        Hi Steve. as you are new to cruising you may not be aware of how good a sailor you both are. If you know you are both fine with movement at sea then forget this but if you are unsure my choice would be midships as the Med can play up now and again and midships is more stable.
                        Being midships also means that you are conveniently situated for most things on the ship but as Silversea ships are smaller than many others distance is never too much of a problem.
                        The main drawback in starting with Silversea is that you are setting a high standard and keeping it up in the future ....well let's no go there.
                        Oh and by the way if that tall blonde Swedish activity director is onboard please give her a hug from me. .....Neil

Comment

Silver Spirit

Dear Mr/Mrs Walker
                          Please accept my apologies for not replying to your request sooner but unfortunately I have been sick and only recently starting making a recovery-if you could let me have an e mail address -I will let you have a report on my experience aboard the Silver Spirit before you depart on the 23rd Nov
                          Regards
                          SWT

Comment

Thank you that would be most appreciated my email is fran.walker25@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi chester,
                              i will be sailing on silverspirit in Sept 2012 and would like to view your report if it is still available .
                              cheers Big Skip

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X