• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver Cloud transatlantic 31st March 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Cloud transatlantic 31st March 2012

After several cruises with various lines I've finally decided to try out the one which some people have said is the best. The Silver Cloud will be leaving Fort Lauderdale on 31st March 2011 and next port of call will be Bermuda before heading for the big hike across the Atlantic for 6 days !!

Have no idea how I'll cope as the most I've spent at sea is a couple of days but I figured when champagne is flowing and drinks are free I doubt if I'd care how long it took. Anyway I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been on a similar trip and find out how you got on and what kept you going?

As it's a small ship I'm praying for a calmish crossing although I am used to stormy seas having (in my early days) been bounced around the Thomson Emerald ship in the Med I hope it couldn't get much worse

I'm travelling as a single person as my wife does not like the sea and I've found the special single supplement deal on this particular cruise too good to ignore so after special permission was granted off I go

This thread seems awfully quiet so PLEASE anyone with experience with Silversea give us your feedback as it is very important for all of us to know. Thanks Trev
    Last edited by trevor432990, East Sussex; 10th October 2011, 11:16 PM.

Hi I'm a big fan of the small luxury cruise lines (I'm booked twice on the Cloud, a transatlantic crossing later this month and a ten nighter in the Caribbean early next year), I don't think you will be disappointed. Unlike many UK based vessels the re-positional cruises tend to sail to/from the Med. to the Caribbean rather than to/from Southampton. This reduces the possibility but not entirely eliminates the likelihood of rough seas. I find the days to pass without any boredom, the ship's entertainment programme usually has a variety of interesting guest lecturers. The night life is low key, the ship's passengers tend to be slightly reserved, well travelled, polite and friendly. In addition you don't have to shiver at the thought of getting in a round of drinks for new found friends. I agree that a single supplement of 10% is an offer worth considering. If you compare this voyage to that provided by Cunard, P&O etc they would charge 100% supplement for suite accomadtion and so a Silversea cruise will work out cheaper for the single traveller, and this doesn't even include the extras provided (included wines, drinks, tips etc). I don't mind dressing up but if you prefer a more relaxed dress code Silversea isn't the best luxury line for you. Nearly everyone dons formal attire (probably 4 nights on a 14 nighter, similar to Cunard). The food is excellant but the menus can look eccentric but the food served is well balanced. If you will enjoy a relaxed holiday without the need for 24/7 action in a refined setting you will enjoy this voyage. I'll write a review of my experiences when I return.

Comment

Thanks Alan for your advice. I too have read the southerly atlantic crossing should be a bit smoother so keeping my fingers crossed there. The single supplement reduction has made a big difference and like you say the Cunard & P+O position on this does seem strange considering the number of single people out there now. Thought dining would be quite formal so have invested in new trousers for my DJ and shirts to match my expanded physique. Will be very interested to read the review of your upcoming transatlantic trip so could you post an update on here so I get a nudge when it is finished. Thanks again

Comment

Hey Alan .... checked out the reviews but could not see yours there yet. How did you get on with your transatlantic cruise out of interest ?

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
          Hey Alan .... checked out the reviews but could not see yours there yet. How did you get on with your transatlantic cruise out of interest ?
          Hi I have placed my review on the site, although the review is under my surname (Leake, Title Upgraded Entertainment on Silversea). I enjoyed the cruise very much,and so I have two cruises booked on the Cloud for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
            Hi I have placed my review on the site, although the review is under my surname (Leake, Title Upgraded Entertainment on Silversea). I enjoyed the cruise very much,and so I have two cruises booked on the Cloud for next year.
            Excellent. Glad you enjoyed your trip so much you've booked it again so I'll go and find your review now. Thanks Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
              Hi Alan,

Sorry to bother you again but I wonder if you can tell me ... did you receive a Venetian Club membership card after your first trip with Silversea and can you recall how soon after your trip did you receive it? Just so I know when to chase if I don't hear anything. Many thanks.

Trevor

Comment

After our first cruise with Silversea I expected to get details of our Venetian Society membership, nothing arrived so I chased it up after 3 months. I was told that membership details are only sent out every 6 months from the United States but they gave me the VS membership numbers. 6 months later I'd still not received anything so wrote again. Eventually they sent the membership benefits and privileges information + pins. In there it states that the pins will be given to you on your 2nd voyage. No problem there and if they'd told me that at the beginning instead of saying they would be sent then I'd have known the system. We've done 3 more and I love the line but their communication is very poor. The VS has been "revamped" so you might fare better now. Hope you enjoyed it!

Comment

Hi Clowi .... Many thanks for the information. I must say I'm a bit surprised at your experiences getting your Venetian Society membership as the other cruise lines (as you are probably aware) are very fast to try and hook people as soon as they return from a cruise. I shall probably drop them an email anyway and see if I get anywhere but thanks again for the tip.

Trevor

Comment

Yes. Did Seabourn for the first time last summer and they were very quick to get back to us.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X