• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Seabourn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chriss, Leicester
    started a topic Strange Seabourn

Strange Seabourn

First and foremost sorry for the size of the image, it looks like the people on board are having fun.

Which take me onto the touchy subject of 'forced fun', on board ships or holidays in general we've all been there - staff trying to fill a void with a fancy dress party.

Is it just me and my anti-social ways or do others reading this cringe at the thought of this? Or is it as we get older we need to prove that we are still young at heart and up for anything?

I would much prefer a few drinks at the bar with like minded people or a bit of dad dancing which in my deluded mind always goes down a storm.

From reading posts on here I know others really look forward to events on board and it would be a boring cruise if everyone had the same opinion as me.

Please don't judge me but let me know which side of the scale you fall on?

*Official Press Release

After the first two months of a world cruise, interesting phenomena begin tooccur on board. Seabourn Quest Cruise Director Handré Potgieter reports:“Recently we held a ‘Fancy Dress Trivia’ in which the teams were challenged topresent something original using only onboard resources. Teams were judged fororiginality, team spirit and overall impression. What fun! It’s amazing to seehow guests use just about everything from Seabourn Coasters to Room ServiceMenus.”

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Don't go on Eclipse then..waiters parading through, napkin waving and then a cheering competition to pick the best section waiter.

Personally I don't like it but join in, otherwise you end up looking like the miserable ones when all around seem to like it...Carol

Leave a comment:

• Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick_C, Worthing View Post
    Even the poshest lines can't resist the tackiness that makes you think you are in a floating holiday camp. Personally, I hate the Baked Alaska parade, clapping and cheering the restaurant and kitchen staff, and napkin waving. One wouldn't behave that way in a good restaurant ashore, why do it at sea?
    Totally agree Nick - this appears to be getting a habit.

From the Thomson collection.

Whatever floats your boat.

Leave a comment:

• Lizzie, Lymington
    replied
    Even the poshest lines can't resist the tackiness that makes you think you are in a floating holiday camp. Personally, I hate the Baked Alaska parade, clapping and cheering the restaurant and kitchen staff, and napkin waving. One wouldn't behave that way in a good restaurant ashore, why do it at sea?
    With you there Nick, I don't get it either!

Fortunately have not been subjected to the former, only the latter once & that was enough!

As for Seabourns 'activity', No Thanks!! Why did most of them go as chefs anyway? Not much imagination there then!

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Thanks for the photo Chriss. I actually recognise two friends. We had the most fun ever on a Seabourn cruise. If you can't be daft on holiday, when can you?

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    My son and I won a few Dam mugs, building rafts and boats out of bits 'n bobs in the past on HAL, but that was a long time ago and it was aimed more at families than adults.

There's no way I'd want to bother with anything like that now. At least on a bigger ship such as Victoria, one could avoid that kind of activity should one so wish, but on a small ship, I think it'd be nigh impossible.

As for a parade of food and/or wait staff around the restaurant, thank goodness that's not a tradition we come across these days.

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    Hear! Hear!.........Along with Singing Waiters (Ole' Sol' Meo) and the Bellyflop.

It's old hat and been done to death.............and I might add done a whole lot better in former days.........Wilba

Leave a comment:

• trevor432990, East Sussex
    replied
    I don't think it's mandatory to join such activities so it can hardly be described as 'forced fun' but perhaps they need to carry it out in a corner of the ship no-one else goes. That said, I like a quiz and lectures when I'm on a long sea journey and so would miss those if the entertainment staff didn't organise those.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_C, Worthing
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chriss, Leicester
    replied
    Malcolm there you have the definition of confused

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Wll there are 20 or so people in the photo out of a passenger capacity of 450.

I'm sure that they DID have fun, but the guys face (photo-left, sitting down) probably represents the other 430 passengers and says it all!

Leave a comment:

• BigMac, Glasgow
    replied
    As a regular "Cunarder", I only once participated in a group activity. That was 2 years ago and it was a boat building competition.

The rules required a boat to float around the pool whilst carrying 6 tins of coke, and it could be made from anything. Cheating was allowed.

My wife called it a great baby sitting service.

Here's the result:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10625...CODCgoDCutjSVw

Stewart

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X