• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oceania Riviera Day 6 – Blowy in Barcelona!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oceania Riviera Day 6 – Blowy in Barcelona!

Sorry this is late, this is the half I lost on our last night on board!Just typed it all up again!Here it is!

We drew back the curtains to a rather grey day in Barcelona. Had a very light breakfast in Waves grill & then headed to Las Ramblas. We didn’t last long, went out of security & then back on again for coats! A very cool wind blowing! Preparing us for our return home, no doubt!

Today was one of the many ‘General Strikes’ across Europe & Barcelona was eerily quiet, not the usual hustle & bustle at all & not much traffic, hardly anything open, & a depressing air about the place. There were more leaves blowing down Las Ramblas than people!

We found a café that was open & enjoyed a couple of Americanos & Cognacs, to warm us up!! I must say the guy that poured the cognacs took ‘free pour’ to a whole new level! I had to ask him to stop pouring, at €5 they were a bargain!
    It was getting cooler, so we decided to ask for the bill & head back to the warmth of the ship, just as we were about to ask, the sound of a demonstration approaching set the waiters and Café owner into action! We were ushered inside, menu boards were removed, all plates, glasses cleared & cushions taken off chairs! Clearly they didn’t want their place ‘trashed’. We managed to pay & leave before we were shut in!

We sped away in the opposite direction; we have been caught up in demonstrations before & being near flying bottles & firecrackers is not a good experience!

Back to the ship to take photos of places we had missed ‘filming’, spotted yet more gorgeous art works, this ship is really so elegant!

Enjoyed a glass of wine at Waves bar, with our coats on & chatted to the very efficient Sunil again, managed to get a photo of him and his colleague who had sketched my husband’s profile, a very talented young man!
    Down to our room to start the packing, with the blog to do later and dinner in Jacques this evening, we thought we should make a start!

We broke off from that chore to try the afternoon tea in Horizons, so that I could tell you about it. It is a wonderful lounge bar at the front of the ship & all the tables were laid beautifully for afternoon tea & the waiters were dressed so smartly, far better than many of the passengers! We were serenaded by a string quartet, all very calm & relaxing.
    I have taken photographs, which I will put up a.s.a.p. the dainty sandwiches were delicious, cucumber, smoked salmon & shrimp. We then managed a scone, jam & cream each & mindful of dinner to come, we resisted any more!! Which was a great shame; I have never seen such a varied display of wonderful cakes, gateau’s, flans, tarts & more!!!

Time to start the blog, but the Internet is down! Can’t get into cruisemail to write it! So carry on packing…..There is a knock on the door & Neelesh presents us with a very elegant blue box with gold ribbon!?
    Inside are two Oceania Club luggage tags, leather & I think brass with the Club insignia! Very smart indeed, I have photographed them, so that you can see for yourselves! Plus a voucher for $200 off of our next cruise with Oceania if we book within 45 days, I wish!

Try the blog again, get halfway & down it goes again, time for a glass of wine!! Packing is now done all bar what we are wearing to dinner this evening.

Dinner in Jacques, I think the décor in here is my favourite, very elegant and French! The amuse bouche was called ‘Barbajuan’ crispy spinach filled ravioli with tomato dip mmmmm! I have never had crispy ravioli before; my husband didn’t get a look in!!

Then Duck Foie Gras Terrine for him with Quince Jelly and Toasted Brioche & Salmon Tartare wrapped in Salmon Gravlax with Cucumber Rosace for me! Both were yet again, brilliant!

We then both had Heart of Boston Lettuce with Shallots and Roquefort Blue Cheese, one of our favourites!

Then he was ecstatic about his Encrusted lamb loin with Pistachio Stuffing and Cabernet Sauvignon Sauce, I had the Molten Goat Cheese Souffle with Heirloom Tomato Sauce, I can almost taste it now, the ‘side dishes’ were also delicious!
    We both had to pass on dessert or cheese, which was a great shame, I had really wanted to try the Baba au Rhum, freshly poached pastry in French Island Rum! But enough was enough!

Back to do the blog again with a ‘nightcap’ having spent ages retyping it, I lost it again GRRRRR!
    So too bed………
    Lizzie sigpic

You know what Lizzie..... CruiseDot or Oceania are going to have to give you another cruise to catch up on all the missed bits

That was another cracker of a blog!
    sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Lizzie your blogs where great and so entertaining. I am pleased you had a good time and enjoyed all that lovely food. It sounds so yummy. Welcome back to reality! Washing up and cooking.

Comment

Hi Lizzie.
        Thanks for keeping us up to date with your daily blog.
        Very enjoyable.
        Regards
        Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
          You know what Lizzie..... CruiseDot or Oceania are going to have to give you another cruise to catch up on all the missed bits

That was another cracker of a blog!
          What a good idea Carol!! Like it

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
          Lizzie your blogs where great and so entertaining. I am pleased you had a good time and enjoyed all that lovely food. It sounds so yummy. Welcome back to reality! Washing up and cooking.
          Thanks MM, luckily himself does the cooking and washing up, he enjoyed the 'break' though he is 'cheating tonight' with frozen fish & chips!

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
          Hi Lizzie.
          Thanks for keeping us up to date with your daily blog.
          Very enjoyable.
          Regards
          Garfield
          Thanks Garfield, appreciated.
          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

more great sounding food Lizzie. so looking forward to the photos.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Oh, how delicious it all sounds!
              Lizzie- I'm glad you had a marvellous time, and glad that you had the chance to see a new shipping line.
              I'm also having a freebie.....not quite as exotic nor as far away, but we've won a 4 night "Turkey and Tinsel" break in the last week of November, and we've chosen Kendal, which is only an hour away. Not quite cruising- but no cooking etc for 4 days! It will be a chance for retired G. to wind down a bit before he covers all the Christmas events for the area.
              Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                Thanks Issy, there are so many I think I need to get advice from cruisedot on posting them! Two or four on one post is one thing 100+ is another!

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                Oh, how delicious it all sounds!
                Lizzie- I'm glad you had a marvellous time, and glad that you had the chance to see a new shipping line.
                I'm also having a freebie.....not quite as exotic nor as far away, but we've won a 4 night "Turkey and Tinsel" break in the last week of November, and we've chosen Kendal, which is only an hour away. Not quite cruising- but no cooking etc for 4 days! It will be a chance for retired G. to wind down a bit before he covers all the Christmas events for the area.
                Jo, that's great, just what you both need! Have a truly relaxing and great break! You know he will never truly retire! xx
                Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Enjoyed your blogs Lizzie, thanks for posting.

Comment

If you're only allowed a couple of pics per post , I can see you spending the time from now till Christmas putting in all the photos. It seems you didn't waste your money when you bought the camera and made full use of it.
                    It must have seemed bizarre seeing the Ramblas without the usual crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
                      Enjoyed your blogs Lizzie, thanks for posting.
                      Thanks Diva, I quite enjoyed it when the Internet didn't play up!

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                      If you're only allowed a couple of pics per post , I can see you spending the time from now till Christmas putting in all the photos. It seems you didn't waste your money when you bought the camera and made full use of it.
                      It must have seemed bizarre seeing the Ramblas without the usual crowds.
                      Hi Hat,

I took 231 photos! No doubt some will only be fit for deleting, but that is still a lot of photos, Think I need a word with cruisedot to see if there is another way!

Yes a closed Ramblas was very strange indeed! No human statues, no street performers rather bleak!
                      Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Afternoon Lizzie,

Barcelona sounded rather grim. Its not my favourite place but I'd rather be there than here.

Vinny
                        sigpic

Comment

Evening Vinny,

It was unusual, but I too would rather be there, even though it was quite cool!!
                          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                            Hi Issy,

Have started to put them up, there are rather a lot!!

See this link:

http://www.cruises.co.uk/1428-lizzie...oceania_escape
                            Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                              Thanks Diva, I quite enjoyed it when the Internet didn't play up!

Hi Hat,

I took 231 photos! No doubt some will only be fit for deleting, but that is still a lot of photos, Think I need a word with cruisedot to see if there is another way!

Yes a closed Ramblas was very strange indeed! No human statues, no street performers rather bleak!
                              Hi Lizzie.
                              I was in Barcelona a couple of days before you got there.
                              Funnily enough my wife commented on the lack of (None) human statues,street performers....maybe they have stopped them.
                              The Ramblas was full though.
                              Think they have had enough of the pick-pockets though,,,did you notice police in pairs every few hundred yards along
                              the Ramblas.

Did you make it to the Universal Bar in La Boqueria market?,,,simple plate of fried wild mushrooms,coffee + brandy,,Great!!!

ps,There was a march/demo through Catalunya Sq when i was there,,,,,,,,,I joined in!!:wink:
                              JC
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X