• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big suites on mass-market ships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JOHN B SLOOP, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
    I noted you avoided Cunard and Celebrity, probably because they are more premium orientated.”

I assume you meant were premium orientated both are rapidly declining into standard, fortunately for these lines the standard cruise lines are becoming unacceptable . I would go further and say Thomson cruises would be a lot better than Cunard's if their ageing fleet was replaced (this may occur in the future - TUI the parent company are building new ships for their German arm of the organisation).
    'I assume you meant were premium orientated both are rapidly declining into standard,'

Golly, if you think the amazingly wonderful holiday we had a few weeks ago on Victoria, in a spacious cabin, being fabulously looked after and with anything I wanted to eat as long as it was onboard, is the sign of a ship with declining standards, I can't imagine what standard of travel you are used to.

The reason why some of us CHOOSE to travel on these 'less than premium' lines is because they provide some aspect of cruising other 'more premium' lines can't.

Now you like the smaller lines. I haven't tried them so wouldn't presume to comment on their cabins or suites and I have no idea if you book a top suite or a not so, but I defy you and any member of the forum to have a better cruising experience than we did a couple of weeks ago, in the cabin we booked, without paying Crystal prices for the Penthouse or Grand Suites.

Don't knock a cruise line/ship and yes, level of cabin, if you haven't cruised with them very recently.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbybuoy, peterborough View Post
      There are other examples of this kind of thing.....

A couple of weeks ago someone said to me that they can't understand why some people buy a top of the range Ford when they could probably buy a basic BMW for a similar price.
      Sorry to go off-topic, but I disagree on that one A top end Ford will have all the bells, whistles and gadgets (important for a geek like me) where as a base-spec BMW barely has a radio; everything is extra with the luxury car manufacturers!

Comment

Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
        I wonder how often these suites are sold at 'brochure' price?

Anecdotally, for the biggest suites you tend to hear more about people making opportunistic bookings when big savings are to be made.

Absent a lottery win in the same week as a bleak diagnosis I can't imagine circumstances where it would make sense.
        Hi Max
        Yes they do sometimes sell at the the dis counted brochure price as do lots of the cabins.
        I did talk with someone who had booked some top end cabins and found out they had started to discount well below the price they paid ,they did get some money offered as OBC but only after a hard battle .
        The amounts would have paid for a very nice cruise indeed for us any way.
        I think in some cases its the big fish in a small pond, some people love to lord it over others mixing with people with similar wealth just makes them one of the crowd with no bragging rights....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
          Hi Max
          Yes they do sometimes sell at the the dis counted brochure price as do lots of the cabins.
          I did talk with someone who had booked some top end cabins and found out they had started to discount well below the price they paid ,they did get some money offered as OBC but only after a hard battle .
          The amounts would have paid for a very nice cruise indeed for us any way.
          I think in some cases its the big fish in a small pond, some people love to lord it over others mixing with people with similar wealth just makes them one of the crowd with no bragging rights....Taffy
          Thinking about this again, I often see, when searching for cruises, that the suites have sold out quite early. This suggests at least they've been sold at brochure price, as you say Taffy.

And I think you're on to something with the last comment. Wealth doesn't always bring self-possession, and fortunes at one level are peanuts at another.

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
            Sorry to go off-topic, but I disagree on that one A top end Ford will have all the bells, whistles and gadgets (important for a geek like me) where as a base-spec BMW barely has a radio; everything is extra with the luxury car manufacturers!
            Exactly, Duncan. I didn't say I agreed with it...............I only used it as an analogy re having a top cabin on a mass-market ship or a lesser cabin on a premium ship for a similar price. It's a personal choice and could be made for many reasons.

Some, like you, would choose the higher-spec Ford whilst others would choose the lower-spec BMW.

Bob

Comment

Thinking about this again, I often see, when searching for cruises, that the suites have sold out quite early. This suggests at least they've been sold at brochure price, as you say Taffy.

And I think you're on to something with the last comment. Wealth doesn't always bring self-possession, and fortunes at one level are peanuts at another.

Quite correct suites do not hang about. Some of us do not have a choice and have to book suites, (scooter user) and I would not risk waiting for a getaway. BTW for next year we have booked a cruise in a suite for less per night than we paid for our first cruise in 2001 in a standard balcony. As long as that is the case we are very happy.

So I can happily look down at the other cruisers, which of course is difficult when sitting on a scooter
              Gan Canny

Dai

P&O x Lots and Lots.

Ships Aurora, Arcadia(old),Adonia(old)Oriana,Arcadia(new)Oceana, Ventura & Azura

Comment

Apparently the top suites and inside cabins always sell out first on any ship. It is the middle grades which sell the slowest.

I guess for many money is either no object or crucial.
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

If I had the money, I would always choose a suite on any ship I happened to be sailing on. Just because I could.....................Carol

Comment

Mrs M wrote praising her recent cruise and ended by saying <<Don't knock a cruise line/ship and yes, level of cabin, if you haven't cruised with them very recently.>>
                    She is very right. So often we read posts criticising a ship/line when they've never sailed on them or did so many years ago.............. so many things could have changed.

Comment

A balcony cabin for us will suffice anytime.
                      Our own little space.

Some do have delusions of grandeur, but not us. Anyway, I dont know what I would do with a Butler
                      sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

I wonder how often these suites are sold at 'brochure' price?

Anecdotally, for the biggest suites you tend to hear more about people making opportunistic bookings when big savings are to be made.

Absent a lottery win in the same week as a bleak diagnosis I can't imagine circumstances where it would make sense.
                        On the other side of the coin Max, some really are cancelled at the last minute.

For the majority of passengers booking these top suites cost is a relative small issue. It's a fact that many members just do not grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Dai, North Tyneside View Post
                          Quite correct suites do not hang about. Some of us do not have a choice and have to book suites, (scooter user) and I would not risk waiting for a getaway. BTW for next year we have booked a cruise in a suite for less per night than we paid for our first cruise in 2001 in a standard balcony. As long as that is the case we are very happy.

So I can happily look down at the other cruisers, which of course is difficult when sitting on a scooter
                          Couldn't agree more Dai.

Spotted a newspaper cruise advert only last week. Top accommodation - Sold Out.

Comment

I often see programms on TV about luxury yachts and hotel suites which are truly magnificent. And the presenter always says, as Richard said, " cost is a relative small issue." However these people are few and far between and I am not one of them.
                            I wouldn't feel justified in spending so much money on a suite when I would be spending so little time in it. Maybe on a Transatlantic it might be different.
                            I know some people who took a Garden Villa on NCL . They had their children and grandchildren with them and all were enthusiastic about their trip. However, there were times when they felt isolated and missed the interaction with other passengers.
                            Anyway Richard, on what ship was that suite ?

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
                              Anyway Richard, on what ship was that suite ?
                              Judging by the marquetry, it's Cunard, and as the Grand [and Master] Suites on Victoria and Elizabeth aren't duplex [and the carpet is different on Victoria], I'd say Queen MARY 2, Hat.
                              As I haven't sailed on Mary, I couldn't tell you which suite.
                              Last edited by Mrs M; 29th April 2013, 12:51 PM. Reason: edited quote to relevent line

Comment

Suites usually sell out quickly but it isn't always the case. I got a great last minute deal last year for £157 pppn in a suite on Ventura last year and am currently weighing up another last minute 5 nighter which works out at £90 pppn.

I normally wouldn't bother with a suite at the full price but I do appreciate the extras that you get with one and when I see a bargain I do occasionally take it up. If you track the prices then sometimes you get the deal. It's lovely to have a treat now and then.
                                Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X