• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big suites on mass-market ships

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big suites on mass-market ships

I’m often surprised that some passengers will pay a lot of money for a big suite (Penthouse, owners, loft, garden villa etc.) on what is essentially a mass-market ship carrying maybe 3,500-6,000 passenger. I’m thinking of P&O, RCI and NCL, for example.

Personally I ‘imagine’ that you would get a higher quality experience on a smaller ‘premium’ or ‘luxury ship’, even in a more modest accommodation. (I said ‘imagine’ because I do not purchase the top accommodation).

However, I do realise that the likes of NCL and MSC, are building ‘private’ areas: pool and dining for the top suites – a ship within a ship. There are sometimes reserved areas in the Theatre too. I wonder if this does actually elevate the experience beyond mass-market?

Loft Suite, on RCI's newer ships
    Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 26th April 2013, 12:54 PM.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Good morning Malcolm.

I'm sure PG of A will have an answer when he is next on.

I noted you avoided Cunard and Celebrity, probably because they are more premium orientated.

I must say though that a lot of 'Suites' on smaller ships don't necessarily come with 'size' as a attribute.

I was quite surprised at the 'size' of our suite on Oceania Nautica last December...

Billed as a 'Penthouse' it hardly compared with most Princess Grill staterooms we have stayed in.

Comment

Never gave it much thought Malcolm.
      Like you I am in the Imagine group but I would think that they pay for that bit of exclusivity that a suite brings but enjoy all the other facilities including the entertainment that the big ship have to offer .
      I would think that the Grills class on Cunard is a very nice way to cruise but so would be one of the smaller 6star lines but they may lack in entertainment.One day it may be me....Taffy
      ​Taffy

Comment

NCL garden villa that sleeps 8 in 3 suite sized bedrooms and has LOADS of extra space can be as low as $200pppd.

Also for family groups the luxury ships don't allways have the facilities to cater to multi generations.

On the NCL Dawn you can have a group of 16 in both Garden villa which open into one very large suite.

Comment

Hi Exactly my thoughts, in fact I added such a comment to an earlier question this morning. I believe that if your money is limited (mine is) I have a better cruise experience by purchasing a cheaper cabin on a "better" ship than by having a large cabin on an inferior vessel. However, it's the other passengers money and they can do with it what they want. I have my suspicions that some people do it to "lord it" over the masses on a cheaper ship (it's called keeping ahead of the Jones's). I don't mind what others think - in truth nobody on any "luxury" vessel I have sailed have shown any interest in the type of accomodation I purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Solent Richard, Lee on the Solent View Post
            I noted you avoided Cunard and Celebrity, probably because they are more premium orientated..
            Hi Richard, yes. I can understand why one would buy a nice suite on Celebrity or Cunard.

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
            Never gave it much thought Malcolm.
            Taffy..this topic came about becuse I was on an RCI ship and I met a couple who were in the owners-suite. I knew for a fact that the list price was arounf £5,500 per person, for just 7 night!

Now of I had a spare £11,000k I would not spend it on an RCI ship! The ambience, entertainmen and much of the food is still 'standard', however much your suite costs.
            Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 26th April 2013, 12:44 PM.
            See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
              Taffy..this topic came about becuse I was on an RCI ship and I met a couple who were in the owners-suite. I knew for a fact that the list price was arounf £5,500 per person!

Now of I had a spare £11,000k I would not spend it on an RCI ship! The ambience, entertainmen and much of the food is still 'standard', however much your suite costs.

And it goes to the same places as those of us in steerage..
              Regards
              Garfield

Comment

Interesting topic. We love suites on all ships but only book them when they are well discounted. We have been very fortunate over the years - our best bargain was an owner's suite on NCL Jade on a 14 day sailing for just £960 pp. We have had a couple of holidays in the corner/aft suites on Ventura - 14 nights for £1400 pp. Sometimes better to be born lucky than rich!

Comment

Hi Richard, yes. I can understand why one would buy a nice suite on Celebrity or Cunard.

Taffy..this topic came about becuse I was on an RCI ship and I met a couple who were in the owners-suite. I knew for a fact that the list price was arounf £5,500 per person, for just 7 night!

what date/ship was it I can see if the historic pricing is available you may be suprised at what these sell for when discounted.

Comment

I knew for a fact that the list price was arounf £5,500 per person, for just 7 night!

I wonder how often these suites are sold at 'brochure' price?

Anecdotally, for the biggest suites you tend to hear more about people making opportunistic bookings when big savings are to be made.

Absent a lottery win in the same week as a bleak diagnosis I can't imagine circumstances where it would make sense.

Comment

There are other examples of this kind of thing.....

A couple of weeks ago someone said to me that they can't understand why some people buy a top of the range Ford when they could probably buy a basic BMW for a similar price.

In the forces, some prefer to be a senior non-commissioned rank than progress to a junior commissioned rank. They used to say that they'd rather be the King of the S***s than the S*** of the Kings. Please pardon the expression but it conveys the point.

It could be a comfort zone thing or, as in the example above, a desire to be top-dog passengers......... who knows?

I did have a drink at the bar on Thomson Destiny with a chap occupying the Grand Suite and wondered why he would spend such money when he could be on almost any other ship in a lower grade cabin. He had sailed on Destiny eight times and was clearly in his element.

If you like the experience of a particular ship or cruise line and can afford the top suites then why feel you should be sailing on something else?

Whatever the reason, it's a matter of personal choice and people will choose whatever gives them the best experience ...............hopefully.

Bob

Comment

I noted you avoided Cunard and Celebrity, probably because they are more premium orientated.”

I assume you meant were premium orientated both are rapidly declining into standard, fortunately for these lines the standard cruise lines are becoming unacceptable . I would go further and say Thomson cruises would be a lot better than Cunard's if their ageing fleet was replaced (this may occur in the future - TUI the parent company are building new ships for their German arm of the organisation).

Comment

It must be lovely to be able to book the best suites all the time and not have to worry, but if I did that I would only get one holiday a year and I need more.............................................. .....................Carol

Comment

When IOTS was based in the UK overwinter, we got an owners suite for less than £6k, and that was for 18 nights, and also got loads of OBC and free parking, it was hard going back to a standard shoebox!

Comment

I think when traveling as part of a group having a decent sized cabin in the group to host events can be great.

NCL owners suites have a front and side balcony so make great viewing in Alaska and the Fjords.

On our own we would rattle around in monster suite.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X