• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would earn a 6 star rating ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    The 'Burj' IS referred to by some as THE 7* hotel.

I have not stayed but have dined there and while it was very nice I could not see the 2* extra! Lovely food, nice decor, great sea views, nice furnishing, great delf and silverware, unbelieveably attentive staff and not intrusive at all. I have just as good in lower rated establishments. I agree with PG - the bar is just being lifted so many more can fit under it. We stayed in a 5* hotel in Cairo - public rooms were very nice as were the restaurants, pools and food was very good but not outstanding but the rooms and esp the beds were about 2* ish.

The Shelbourne in Dublin is a 5* hotel and charges 5* prices but it does not have a pool / gym

Comment

Originally posted by tomvet, limerick, roi View Post
      I have not stayed but have dined there and while it was very nice I could not see the 2* extra! Lovely food, nice decor, great sea views, nice furnishing, great delf and silverware, unbelieveably attentive staff and not intrusive at all. I have just as good in lower rated establishments. I agree with PG - the bar is just being lifted so many more can fit under it. We stayed in a 5* hotel in Cairo - public rooms were very nice as were the restaurants, pools and food was very good but not outstanding but the rooms and esp the beds were about 2* ish.

The Shelbourne in Dublin is a 5* hotel and charges 5* prices but it does not have a pool / gym

Maybe it's the use of all the gold leaf that's supposed to have been used [not been there so can't comment] that lifts it into the so called 7* bracket by some [NOT the hotel itself].

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
        Duncan, on a luxury cruise one is not supposed to have to make ones own coffee. The Butler (if you can afford on) on room service bring ones coffee to one.

Likewise a serving ones self in a 'self-service' buffet is not really satisfactory.

Duncan, when you are on-board the QM2 avoid 'Kings Court' (the buffet) and opt for lunch in the Britannia dining room. There you will be served by a waiter, like a man of your standing should be!

Also don't miss the afternoon tea in the Queens Room.
        Malcolm that gave me a real chuckle!

I think I need some cruise coaching from you to learn all of these little tips.
        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
          Thank you Malcolm. Never did see it like that.
          Yes thanks Malcolm and Carol for that insight into FO Black Watch which was most interesting.

Comment

I think the Hebridean Princess must be as near to 5* as any.....I thought 5* was 100%?.....and she's an old MacBraynes ferry.....
            Jo.
            Jo.

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
              Malcolm that gave me a real chuckle!

I think I need some cruise coaching from you to learn all of these little tips.
              Joking aside Duncan, 'served' lunch on any ship can be a more sedate experience than the 'scrum' of the buffet. It's not normally a matter of food quality. The buffet is never big enough on any ship to cope with peak times. QM2's 'Kings Court' is the same.

The same can apply to breakfast too, especially on port-of-call days and disembarkation. A dining room is ALWAYS a better option. After all, why would one pay all of that money to serve ones self.

That's why my six star ship does not have a buffet.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jocap, Cumbria View Post
                I think the Hebridean Princess must be as near to 5* as any.....I thought 5* was 100%?.....and she's an old MacBraynes ferry.....
                Jo.
                5*? There are no balcony cabins, no gym, no jogging track, no climbing wall, no theatre, no atrium and no cabin numbers!

Mind you, she's good enough for the Queen!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Derby View Post
                  Let the customers set the ratings ...

Totally agree, Annie. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that ALL Nile cruise ships have to at least 4* in order to operate -
                  Yes, just two grades - some are called 4* and some 5*. Some are near very-good cruise ship standard, some are mediocre and some are rusty old tubs - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                    Joking aside Duncan, 'served' lunch on any ship can be a more sedate experience than the 'scrum' of the buffet. It's not normally a matter of food quality. The buffet is never big enough on any ship to cope with peak times. QM2's 'Kings Court' is the same.

The same can apply to breakfast too, especially on port-of-call days and disembarkation. A dining room is ALWAYS a better option. After all, why would one pay all of that money to serve ones self.

That's why my six star ship does not have a buffet.
                    Scrum? SCRUM?

One wouldn't 'scrum' on a 6* ship.

One would amble up to the buffet, joshing with one's fellow buffetiers and idly pick and choose from the mouth watering display whilst knowing one wouldn't have to carry anything heavy as staff would be on stand by to lend a hand back to a table which would be immaculately set with flatware and required glasses with the cold, crisp Sauvignon blanc in the wine cooler, awaiting for your return...

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                      Scrum? SCRUM?

One wouldn't 'scrum' on a 6* ship.

One would amble up to the buffet, joshing with one's fellow buffetiers and idly pick and choose from the mouth watering display whilst knowing one wouldn't have to carry anything heavy as staff would be on stand by to lend a hand back to a table which would be immaculately set with flatware and required glasses with the cold, crisp Sauvignon blanc in the wine cooler, awaiting for your return...
                      Mrs M

You have described perfectly my experience on using the buffet on Az Journey.

I gave a nod to the wine waiter on arrival, he then asked where I would like to be seated. I rarely carried anything.

Those were the days - no wonder I prefer Buffets to MDR

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                        Yes thanks Malcolm and Carol for that insight into FO Black Watch which was most interesting.
                        Black Prince .. Trevor. Now gone to South America under a new ownership.
                        BUT she also had an indoor swimming pool. Not many of those around.
                        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

This is my 'wish list for 6*

Ship to have all large balconies.

Fully inclusive quality wines, spirits and cocktails & water, 'proper' espresso etc...

Free, very speedy broadband.

Innovative À la carte menu for vegetarians.

Padded loungers on the Balcony.

Free spa treatments and excursions.

I wish!
                          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
                            Having tried most of the market, I would say that the best capsule-based espresso system is the Nespresso system.

Either that or have an integrated fully automatic bean-to-cup machine in each room.
                            Thanks for the info Duncan but the Nespresso machines look way too complicated are you sure they are capsule based ? Looks like they pick the coffee beans, roast them, grind them to perfection, heat the water to optimum temperature then blend them into your cup magically.

Comment

We had a Senseo machine in our cabin last year and really enjoyed it,so much so that we looked st all the coffee machines on the market. We eventually chose a Tassimo machine which has a great range of coffees
                              Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Choice of table position and open dining time
                                Creased clothes ironed for me
                                and last but not least

wonderful company (hubby), calm seas and fantastic weather - total bliss.
                                Oriana
                                Oceana
                                Ventura
                                Queen Mary 2
                                Queen Victoria
                                Queen Elizabeth

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...