• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would earn a 6 star rating ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    A "suite" to mean just that - which for us would be a separate sleeping and lounge area. Too many of them seem to have just a curtain or a half screen of some sort ...

    Cheers,
    Lynn

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Lynn, Derby View Post
      A "suite" to mean just that - which for us would be a separate sleeping and lounge area. Too many of them seem to have just a curtain or a half screen of some sort ...

      Cheers,
      Lynn
      I have no problem with a curtain as we never draw it but some two room suites would be good to differentiate for those with very deep pockets.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        Now there I would have to disagree I'm afraid.

        I have been to some fabulous hotels where the lunch time seafood buffet was unbelievable...and yes, one served oneself!

        So my 6* cruise line would have a lunch time buffet for those who wanted it.
        I would go further Mrs M - I would offer buffet service as required.

        I am a grazer but like to try small portions of a variety of food.

        So a buffet suits me well.

        Most of the 'luxury' lines have smart casual as their dress code - that is a huge plus for me. That was one of the reasons I sailed Azamara as my first cruise line. Not 6 star of course but certainly a good 5 star line.

        Annie

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          I would go further Mrs M - I would offer buffet service as required.

          I am a grazer but like to try small portions of a variety of food.


          So a buffet suits me well.

          Most of the 'luxury' lines have smart casual as their dress code - that is a huge plus for me. That was one of the reasons I sailed Azamara as my first cruise line. Not 6 star of course but certainly a good 5 star line.

          Annie
          Excellent idea Annie, with Sushi Chefs standing by and the cold seafood selection side by side with the BBQ and a wonderful salad bar for those who wanted to stay on deck in the warmer climes.

          Where's my lottery ticket.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            Excellent idea Annie, with Sushi Chefs standing by and the cold seafood selection side by side with the BBQ and a wonderful salad bar for those who wanted to stay on deck in the warmer climes.

            Where's my lottery ticket.
            Now that's my idea of 6 star... I just adore seafood
            sigpic*Carol M*

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
              Now that's my idea of 6 star... I just adore seafood
              Hmmm now that's an idea, why not have a fishing deck (in fine weather of course) near sea level for the angling enthusiasts amongst us then we could catch our own suppers and have them prepared by a chef that knows how to achieve the best taste sensation.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                Hmmm now that's an idea, why not have a fishing deck (in fine weather of course) near sea level for the angling enthusiasts amongst us then we could catch our own suppers and have them prepared by a chef that knows how to achieve the best taste sensation.
                Give me a steak any day of the week!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
                  Hmmm now that's an idea, why not have a fishing deck (in fine weather of course) near sea level for the angling enthusiasts amongst us then we could catch our own suppers and have them prepared by a chef that knows how to achieve the best taste sensation.
                  Trevor... Fred Olsens Black Prince had a deck near sea level, from which you could go out on canoes or something similar if the weather was good. She was a converted ferry, so the door on that deck came into it's own.

                  Don't think anyone fished from there though

                  No way was the Black Prince anywhere near 3 star even for facillities.... But, in 2001 the food was pretty damn good.
                  Last edited by Calgray, Yorkshire; 15th July 2012, 01:24 PM.
                  sigpic*Carol M*

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                    Trevor... Fred Olsens Black Prince had a deck near sea level, from which you could go out on canoes or something similar if the weather was good.
                    See: http://www.cruise.co.uk/images/cruis...sports.jpg.jpg
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Nothing should earn 6* it is an invention because so many companies try and use the top rated 5* for far less luxurious accommodation. In theory you cannot get any better than 5*, what should really be happening is that a lot of so called "5*" places should be downgraded to what they really should be. What happens when there is a better hotel than the "Burj Al Arab" that calls its self a 7* how long before we see 10* hotels.
                      Any one wants to plays bridge and is on any of the cruises listed below please send me a private message





                      cruises 2012
                      Eclipse 12/05
                      Queen Victoria 24/03
                      Eclipse 12/05
                      Oceania Riveria 13/08
                      Eclipse 29/09
                      Queen Victoria 20/12

                      2013 Cruises booked
                      Eclipse 11/05
                      Eclipse 06/07
                      Eclipse 31/08
                      Eclipse 20/10

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                        Thank you Malcolm. Never did see it like that.
                        sigpic*Carol M*

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                          Nothing should earn 6* it is an invention because so many companies try and use the top rated 5* for far less luxurious accommodation. In theory you cannot get any better than 5*, what should really be happening is that a lot of so called "5*" places should be downgraded to what they really should be. What happens when there is a better hotel than the "Burj Al Arab" that calls its self a 7* how long before we see 10* hotels.
                          The 'Burj' IS referred to by some as THE 7* hotel.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by PG of A, A View Post
                            Nothing should earn 6* it is an invention because so many companies try and use the top rated 5* for far less luxurious accommodation. In theory you cannot get any better than 5*, what should really be happening is that a lot of so called "5*" places should be downgraded to what they really should be. What happens when there is a better hotel than the "Burj Al Arab" that calls its self a 7* how long before we see 10* hotels.
                            I agree and let the customers set the ratings.

                            Annie

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Let the customers set the ratings ...

                              Totally agree, Annie. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that ALL Nile cruise ships have to at least 4* in order to operate - so guess what, practically every ship is rated as at least that. Errrrr - not a lot of use, surely???

                              Cheers,
                              Lynn

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                                I agree and let the customers set the ratings.

                                Annie
                                Minefield.

                                I just don't see how can 'the customer' can set the definitive ratings if that's what you mean.

                                If I was used to a boarding house in a seaside town and I went to a great hotel nearby, I might rate it as 5* as I'd know nothing better.

                                Rating a vacation/cruise/hotel, like so many things is SO subjective and experience of many different branches of the specific type of travel is needed before an objective rating can be given.

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X