• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would earn a 6 star rating ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would earn a 6 star rating ?

We've all heard of 4* or 5* star ratings for cruise ships as most publications use this classification to denote the perceived levels of service and facilities offered onboard but what in your opinion would a cruise ship or cruise line have to offer you in order for you to award it a 6* rating?

I've been struggling with this but here is my list of offerings which I think might earn that extra star:
    1. Chauffeur driven car from my home to the port/airport/hotel and transfers
    2. Fully inclusive of drinks, snacks and spa treatments
    3. Broadband speed internet connection at sea and in port
    4. Cinema with pre-bookable film titles
    5. Sauna or steam chamber in the bathroom
    6. Zeiss telescope fixed on balcony rail
    7. Philips Senseo coffee machine in the cabin
    8. Trouser press
    9. Stopovers in port on every voyage
    10. Daily activity schedule sent to your mobile phone

What would be on your list?

Forbid the use of mobile phones once on board.
    Ship to stay at sea for the full length of the cruise.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
      Forbid the use of mobile phones once on board.
      Ship to stay at sea for the full length of the cruise.

Jim
      Are you having a bad hair day Jim?
      It seems to me that rudeness is the refuge of the incompetent

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
        We've all heard of 4* or 5* star ratings for cruise ships as most publications use this classification to denote the perceived levels of service and facilities offered onboard but what in your opinion would a cruise ship or cruise line have to offer you in order for you to award it a 6* rating?

I've been struggling with this but here is my list of offerings which I think might earn that extra star:
        1. Chauffeur driven car from my home to the port/airport/hotel and transfers
        2. Fully inclusive of drinks, snacks and spa treatments
        3. Broadband speed internet connection at sea and in port
        4. Cinema with pre-bookable film titles
        5. Sauna or steam chamber in the bathroom
        6. Zeiss telescope fixed on balcony rail
        7. Philips Senseo coffee machine in the cabin
        8. Trouser press
        9. Stopovers in port on every voyage
        10. Daily activity schedule sent to your mobile phone

What would be on your list?
        Apart from possibly 2 & 3, none of the above Trevor.

However,
        Some foods cooked to order.
        A strict dress code, be it Smart Casual, Formal or Semi Formal.
        Quality Port Lectures aimed at tours and DIY alike with no reference to jewellery or carpet shops.
        Interesting itineraries and ports that haven't been done to death.
        Banning of Mobile Phone, Walkie Talkies and other irritating devices except when in port.
        Afternoon Tea Cunard Style.
        Gratuities Included.
        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by JVS, Cuddington View Post
          Are you having a bad hair day Jim?
          What hair I have got left is in very good condition ,thankyou very much

jim

Comment

Trevor

Apologies for going slightly off topic, how do they classify 4 or 5 star??

One ship I sailed on was classified as 4.5 or 5 star. I would classify it as 2 or 3 star.

So could someone please explain the rating system.

Thanks

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Trevor

Apologies for going slightly off topic, how do they classify 4 or 5 star??

One ship I sailed on was classified as 4.5 or 5 star. I would classify it as 2 or 3 star.

So could someone please explain the rating system.

Thanks

Annie
              Hi Annie,

The source of reference for cruise ship rating tends to be Berlitz who produce a new guide annually. The criteria they use to decide is complex but has been described in the following article I found on this site http://www.cruise.co.uk/tailor-made-...erlitz-rating/. Hope this helps?

Trevor

Comment

Yes, as with any categorization this is always the initial problem of what criteria does one use.

I recall that Douglas Ward (Berlitz Cruise Guide) did not give MS Drutschland his top score because I think it had no jogging track, a small or no gym(?) and no balcony cabins. All other aspects of the ships were excellent.

However, owner Peter Deilmann sued Douglas Ward since he was not happy with the rating of ms Deutschland, thus Deilmann ships are no longer listed in Berlitz Cruiseguide.

I went on Marco Polo last year, paid about £50 pp, per night, and all aspects of the operation exceeded my expectations. I gave my review five stars, but she's not a 'five star' operation using the conventional criteria.
                Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 15th July 2012, 10:49 AM.
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

1. Philips Senseo coffee machine in the cabin
                  Having tried most of the market, I would say that the best capsule-based espresso system is the Nespresso system.

Either that or have an integrated fully automatic bean-to-cup machine in each room.
                  Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

For the ship itself, ignoring transfers/flights etc:-

All suite ship with balconies.
                    Food the quality and variety of the 'off the menu' QG standard
                    All inclusive of really decent wines, spirits, excellent coffee and soft drinks etc
                    I suppose a butler would have to be a requisite
                    Free laundry
                    Free wifi
                    Adherence to dress code and all other little niggles like sun bed hogging etc
                    One meal sitting at a time to be determined by the table [I don't like free style dining] and various other venues to eat if required
                    Enrichment programme of quality

Some may say inclusive tours but as we don't get off the ship sometimes, I wouldn't want to pay for a tour 'not taken'.

Comment

Duncan, on a luxury cruise one is not supposed to have to make ones own coffee. The Butler (if you can afford on) on room service bring ones coffee to one.

Likewise a serving ones self in a 'self-service' buffet is not really satisfactory.

Duncan, when you are on-board the QM2 avoid 'Kings Court' (the buffet) and opt for lunch in the Britannia dining room. There you will be served by a waiter, like a man of your standing should be!

Also don't miss the afternoon tea in the Queens Room.
                      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Hi Annie,

The source of reference for cruise ship rating tends to be Berlitz who produce a new guide annually. The criteria they use to decide is complex but has been described in the following article I found on this site http://www.cruise.co.uk/tailor-made-...erlitz-rating/. Hope this helps?

Trevor
                        Thanks Trevor

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Oliver, Essex View Post
                          Duncan, on a luxury cruise one is not supposed to have to make ones own coffee. The Butler (if you can afford on) on room service bring ones coffee to one.

Likewise a serving ones self in a 'self-service' buffet is not really satisfactory.

Duncan, when you are on-board the QM2 avoid 'Kings Court' (the buffet) and opt for lunch in the Britannia dining room. There you will be served by a waiter, like a man of your standing should be!

Also don't miss the afternoon tea in the Queens Room.
                          Now there I would have to disagree I'm afraid.

I have been to some fabulous hotels where the lunch time seafood buffet was unbelievable...and yes, one served oneself!

So my 6* cruise line would have a lunch time buffet for those who wanted it.

Comment

A concierge service would be a nice addition arranging and advising on independent travel in ports. I saw a post recently saying Azamara had thi in each port, which is a nice touch.
                            Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
                              A concierge service would be a nice addition arranging and advising on independent travel in ports. I saw a post recently saying Azamara had thi in each port, which is a nice touch.
                              I agree HA. I forgot to include a concierge service as I assumed most 5* ships already have them so I took it as read they would be part of the staff.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X