• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultra Luxury vs. Regular Cruising

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultra Luxury vs. Regular Cruising

When you think of a 6 star luxury cruise, the first thing that might comes into your mind is expensive. However have you ever thought of how much is actually included? Next time you see a luxury cruise offer don't be put off by the price as it may well be cheaper than your regular 7 night cruise.

Below is a comparison of a 7 night cruise with Royal Caribbean compared to Regent Seven Seas Cruises. You will be surprised to find that after all the extra's you pay onboard a luxury cruise works out cheaper.

It’s not the cost you pay to get on a cruise, it’s what you pay when you get off that matters! Do you agree?
    Jimmy the One & Only
    Cruises.co.uk Community Manager

Great, do they sail from from southampton in the winter months as thats when we have to go on hols. Fantastic savings to be had.

Comment

Hi I do agree that the luxury cruise market isn't as expensive as many people think, and I would recommend people try this type of holiday but only if they can manage without 24/7 onboard activities. The ambience onboard is more relaxed and laid back than many of the cruise lines. However, the figures you present are slightly misleading although it my be occassionally be possible to cruise on Regent or the other luxury lines for around £1800 per week this isn't the normal situation, more often than not, the prices are higher. The marketing policies used by the mainstream cruise lines are successful because they entice passengers to book by advertising low boarding fares knowing that most passengers do not consider the overall costs and frequently use this site to complain about the costs of drinks, tips and shore excursions etc.
      Last edited by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; 24th January 2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

You have picked a Cheap discounted week on the luxury
        against a relatively expensive week on a RCI.

7night RCI balcony more likely to be around £800.

actualy checking RCI site just now balcony is under £1k not the £1350

I agree the luxury can be very good value and if you are lucky they will be discounting when you can go and the mass market won't be.

If flexable then the mass market bargains will still undercut the luxury most of the time.

Often the like for like needs to be a suite on the mass market and then the comparisons become closer.

Comment

I read this article yesterday evening and thought it was quite misleading. No one is doubting that cruising offers excepttional value both at the luxury end and mid market lines. I don't think Oliver would quite enjoy Regent. Vinny
          sigpic

Comment

Seems a good price but I think I'll stick to Cunard. I do like larger ships...and the cabins are bigger.
            Last edited by Mrs M; 24th January 2012, 11:56 AM. Reason: modified

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
              Seems a good price but I think I'll stick to Cunard. I do like larger ships...and the cabins are bigger.
              Hi A fair point many people do prefer larger ships, but the size of your cabin depends upon the Grade you book, as a general rule larger cabins cost more.

Comment

I would love to cruise on one of the luxury lines, and they do sometimes do good deals on single occupancy. They are usually still out of my price range, and the RCI example above might work out more cheaply for me because I wouldn't drink that much. In fact, I'd probably be tempted to drink more if it were included in the price.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                  I would love to cruise on one of the luxury lines, and they do sometimes do good deals on single occupancy. They are usually still out of my price range, and the RCI example above might work out more cheaply for me because I wouldn't drink that much. In fact, I'd probably be tempted to drink more if it were included in the price.
                  Hi Yogini, Have you checked out the solo prices for Azamara on this site? I was offered a really good deal last year through cruise dot with just a 25% sole occupancy supplement. The price included an overnight stay in a 4* Rome hotel, wine with meals, all soft drinks, bottled water, gratuities and free shuttle buses. I found that I spent very little, apart from the cost of a couple of excursions. The cruise was excellent, the food superb and they looked after solo passengers very well. When compared to a similar cruise I took with Cunard, the overall cost was far less and in my opinion the Azamara experience was superior. I'm looking forward to my next cruise with them. - Jan

Comment

What about non drinkers?

The problem for me is that I don't drink alcohol or soft drinks, I only drink water and tea - both of which are usually freely available on all ships. I only do shore excursions when I really want to see something as I generally prefer to walk or jump on a bus and hang out with the locals for a few hours.

I don't mind about the shore excursions particularly as that's a personal choice and I will make some use of it, but I do think that the luxury cruises should give some consideration to non drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan, Newcastle-upon-Tyne View Post
                      Hi I do agree that the luxury cruise market isn't as expensive as many people think, and I would recommend people try this type of holiday but only if they can manage without 24/7 onboard activities. The ambience onboard is more relaxed and laid back than many of the cruise lines. However, the figures you present are slightly misleading although it my be occassionally be possible to cruise on Regent or the other luxury lines for around £1800 per week this isn't the normal situation, more often than not, the prices are higher. The marketing policies used by the mainstream cruise lines are successful because they entice passengers to book by advertising low boarding fares knowing that most passengers do not consider the overall costs and frequently use this site to complain about the costs of drinks, tips and shore excursions etc.
                      hi allan, can i just congratulate you on this post!..why? well because you have hit it in one sir.to often do i see and hear people say, i am going on a cruise, to blah blah blah....for blah blah blah ...and it is only costing me blah blah blah.

then, AFTER the cruise,we get it...blooming rubbish ports of call, blooming rubbish excursions,blooming rubbish prices on board.

EH??????? all this new found knowledge was available to them BEFORE they went on the cruise was it not?..cheers allan,nice post..michael.

Comment

I believe that the example advertised is very misleading, Silversea on average charge £500 per day per person and that is in a Veranda suite not the highest priced in fact it is the second lowest priced.
                        We have had many cruises with several cruise lines , but we still tend to go back to RCI or P&O which we find value for money, I suppose that it all comes down to what suits the individuals that are participating!

Comment

Back in July I wrote a Review:
                          " Are more expensive ships cheaper? " ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES / Splendour of the Seas / Mediterranean
                          By Neil and Ida Down, Southampton on 27th Jul 2011
                          This expressed a very similar hypothesis that when you studied the overall cost of some “Luxury” cruise and compared them with the overall cost of cruises that looked ostensibly cheaper one often found that the difference in price was quite small and that the facilities offered on the more luxurious cruise lines outweighed that small financial difference.

So I follow what you are saying and indeed acknowledge that it is something that is often overlooked. We certainly look at the overall cost of our cruises and I have written threads to this effect because it is true; a cheap headline cruise price is often very misleading and studying the whole price is never a waste of time. ……Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                            Back in July I wrote a Review:
                            " Are more expensive ships cheaper? " ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES / Splendour of the Seas / Mediterranean
                            By Neil and Ida Down, Southampton on 27th Jul 2011
                            This expressed a very similar hypothesis that when you studied the overall cost of some “Luxury” cruise and compared them with the overall cost of cruises that looked ostensibly cheaper one often found that the difference in price was quite small and that the facilities offered on the more luxurious cruise lines outweighed that small financial difference.

So I follow what you are saying and indeed acknowledge that it is something that is often overlooked. We certainly look at the overall cost of our cruises and I have written threads to this effect because it is true; a cheap headline cruise price is often very misleading and studying the whole price is never a waste of time. ……Neil
                            wise approach Neil but as different people want different things - it really is horses for courses. As we are not drinkers and do DIY excursions 95% of the time - the headline price usually does work out the cheapest for us. AI in terms of drinks would go completely wasted on us.

Comment

The principle behind this thread is, I think, to get you thinking more about how to compare the different cruise lines. Having said that - I also think the example is flawed. The example picked was the only one anywhere near that price.

When I first saw this comparison in the cruise dot brochure the slight unfairness jumped out at me. Regent average between £300 and £400 per person per night. When they have a special offer it is well worth going for it, if the date suits you. Being smaller ships there is a lot less entertainment (although what they have is good) and good company in a relaxed and superb setting is what makes it special.

Regent are, probably, my favourite cruise line but you have to like what these sort of companies offer. Although we don't drink (a bit galling as we are really paying for it ) we mainly pick our cruises for the destinations and do make use of all their free excursions. On the lines where they charge for excursions we always book them independently, in advance and usually in conjuction with other passengers.
                              Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. ;)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X