• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hapag-Lloyd day 1!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannah W, Cruise.co.uk
    started a topic Hapag-Lloyd day 1!

Hapag-Lloyd day 1!

Europa 2 – First Impressions

This is quality, this is contemporary European luxury. This ship is in a league of its own!

From the ice cold drinks at the tender pier and the ice cold flannels and glasses of chilled Champagne when we boarded, you just knew that even the tiniest detail would not be over looked on this ship.

Lunch was in the Yacht Club restaurant at the rear of Deck Nine with seating inside and out. We ate freshly grilled seafood on skewers and succulent steaks grilled to order, with a selection of salads – all absolutely delicious, and the backdrop of the Old Town of Dubrovnik was just perfect.

After lunch we were shown to our suites – one each! At 370 sq ft I think I am right in saying these are the largest in the luxury market, and every detail is perfect and well thought out. The décor is calming and sleek, they have everything you could possibly need. The bathroom has a separate bath and shower. There is a complimentary mini bar which is constantly restocked, there is tea and coffee making facilities, there is wi-fi and a tablet in each suite.
    I was greeted by a bottle of champagne on ice, a selection of fresh fruit and flowers, a lovely dish of strawberries too! Even the bathroom had fresh flowers in.

This afternoon I have spent some time testing the loungers in the pool area, and very comfortable they are too. The pool is lovely for a swim or just a bob about to cool down. The pool area of lovely, complete with proper teak decking and pillars – not a bit of plastic in sight, and there is a retractable velodrome just incase of inclement weather.
    The highlight of the afternoon was the Hapag Lloyd answer to those horrible pizza and burger bars you get by the pool on mainstream cruise lines – a fresh waffle station with so many topping to choose from to adorn your waffle that is half the size of a dinner plate that it is hard to know what to choose. I erred on the side of caution and chose most of them!

This evening we have our official ‘welcome’ session before muster drill and dinner – what delights await at dinner I can only imagine. I will report back in due course.

First impressions overall – quality and luxury for the cruiser who is prepared to pay for the best, but not stuffy and formal. The atmosphere on board is very welcoming, informal and relaxed which I think is just how any good holiday should be.

I will update you tomorrow after our tour of the ship and our visit to Hvar.
    Last edited by Nisha at Sea; 20th August 2013, 04:14 PM.

• MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannah, Cruise.co.uk View Post
    Judith, the 'smart casual' is indeed elegant casual in the evening. Some of the ladies had beautiful cocktail dresses on last night. Watch this space for AI, they are 'discussing' due to feedback. That said, all beer and soft drinks are included and the remaining drinks, wines and spirits, are very reasonable - I will try to get bar menus to post on my return.
    Sounds amazing Hannah, I see this ship now amd again as she calls in Cyprus. I have heard very good reports about her also. I think is is ashame rhey don't do formal nights. Although I can imagaine many German guests are on board and they are often very well dressed. They do casual far better than the Brits! I work in a German owned hotel so many of our guests are from Germany, they always looks elegant. Enjoy the experience.

Leave a comment:

• Hannah W, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Judith, the 'smart casual' is indeed elegant casual in the evening. Some of the ladies had beautiful cocktail dresses on last night. Watch this space for AI, they are 'discussing' due to feedback. That said, all beer and soft drinks are included and the remaining drinks, wines and spirits, are very reasonable - I will try to get bar menus to post on my return.

Leave a comment:

• Hannah W, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Indeed Taffy, quality does come at a price, though I must say that this ship is well worth every euro! In a league of its own - I and the other guests, some of whom only sell Luxury cruises, have never seen anything like it. The attention to detail is second to none.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Thanks for info Hannah. Seems a shame to be on such a lovely ship and not take your posh frocks. How dressed up are the guests at dinner? On Seabourn, even elegant casual is quite dressed up! We would be more interested if Europa was totally AI. I look forward to hearing more. Judith

Leave a comment:

• Taffy, Wales
    replied
    Just read your blog from the start, sounds fabulous no doubt at a fabulous price?
    Still a way to spend your money if you have plenty , quality always did have a high price...Taffy

Leave a comment:

• Hannah W, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Morning all! had a fantastic dinner of scallops, steak and lobster tail in Weltmeere last night, then did sailaway from Dubrovnik on Angies at balcony at midnight sipping champers! Angie is one happy lady now that her suitcase has arrived
    Had a wonderful nights sleep - the beds are so comfortable! Minor issue last night, the in cabin lighting system almost defeated me - took me a while and lots of switch flicking to achieve total darkness!
    Breakfast will be in Yacht Club on the rear of deck 9 overlooking Hvar, followed by a tour of the ship which I am really looking forward to. I shall be taking pics and filming as I go.
    Bradbury - at the moment the ship is not all-inclusive which is unusual for 6*. Beer and soft rinks are included as are Grats but wine, spirits and shore excursions are extra. I asked the Hapag Lloyd guys why they are not all-inclusive and they said that following feedback this is 'under discussion', so watch this space.
    From what I have seen so far, this ship is definitely a cut above. Catch you all later!!
    Last edited by Hannah W, Cruise.co.uk; 21st August 2013, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John Lee, Barcelona
    replied
    Europa 2 – First Impressions

This is quality, this is contemporary European luxury. This ship is in a league of its own!

I was greeted by a bottle of champagne on ice, a selection of fresh fruit and flowers, a lovely dish of strawberries too! Even the bathroom had fresh flowers in.

Hi Hannah, You know what can happen in these situations. Glad to see you enjoy. Keep us posted about the entertainment on board.

Leave a comment:

• Dancourt, Chatham
    replied
    I can't wait to see photo's it all sounds so nice and very up-market.

Enjoy it all.

Susan

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    Just had a quick skim down the prices for cruise on this line. Wow - just what does it include? I would expect a lot for that kind of money?
    The listed price certainly eclipses river cruise prices. There must be a hefty premium for all that space.

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th August 2013, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Evening all from Europa 2 in sunny Dubrovnik! Luggage arrived, thank goodness, at 11.10am this morning! hoorah
    370 sq ft is standard size, absolutely excellent with a nice big balcony. Seperate shower and bath, enormous bed, separate enclosed dressing area, loads and loads of storage space too. All tea/coffee making facilities are in a purpose built unit so not taking up any surface space.
    Dress code is smart casual, even in the evenings. No need to pack all those evening gowns and formal suits!
    Anyway, off to welcome drinks now and dinner. If lunch is anything to go by this should be a real treat! Catch you all tomorrow!
    Great news about your luggage and the dress code Hannah.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Bradbury, Coventry
    replied
    Just had a quick skim down the prices for cruise on this line. Wow - just what does it include? I would expect a lot for that kind of money?

Leave a comment:

• Hannah W, Cruise.co.uk
    replied
    Evening all from Europa 2 in sunny Dubrovnik! Luggage arrived, thank goodness, at 11.10am this morning! hoorah
    370 sq ft is standard size, absolutely excellent with a nice big balcony. Seperate shower and bath, enormous bed, separate enclosed dressing area, loads and loads of storage space too. All tea/coffee making facilities are in a purpose built unit so not taking up any surface space.
    Dress code is smart casual, even in the evenings. No need to pack all those evening gowns and formal suits!
    Anyway, off to welcome drinks now and dinner. If lunch is anything to go by this should be a real treat! Catch you all tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Hannah, give us some more info on your cabin. Is it a standard cabin [if so that's an excellent size] or a larger one.

Also the dress code over the cruise and adherence to it.

Thanks
    Mrs M

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    Sounds amazing. ENJOY............................................. ........................Carol

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X