• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Azamara Club Cruises - Two new ships?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Azamara Club Cruises - Two new ships?

The following is being discussed on another cruise forum.

Dr Joerg Rudolph RCI MD for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, announced in an interview for a German tourism magazine, that Azamara Club Cruises will get two new ships. He didn't specify if the ships will be new builds, or if the cruise line will purchase existing ships. More details are expected at the end of Summer 2015.

The possibility of adding to the Azamara fleet has been discussed many times in the past. Do you think the company will opt to purchase two ships of a similar size to Quest and Journey?

Suggestions from posters on the other forum are two other R-class ships, 'Pacific Princess' and P&O 'Adonia'.
    Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 6th February 2015, 11:10 PM.

Think they could do with a couple of slightly larger ships. Oceania opted for this when they commissioned Marina & Riviera & it seems to have worked for them. They already had 3 R class. Benefits of slightly larger ships were decent bath & separate shower, (no nasty shower curtains) additional speciality restaurants and for me a bigger swimming pool not a little goldfish bowl.

I do like the R class ships but prefer the slightly larger ones like Marina.

Comment

Azamara club cruises

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
      Think they could do with a couple of slightly larger ships. Oceania opted for this when they commissioned Marina & Riviera & it seems to have worked for them. They already had 3 R class. Benefits of slightly larger ships were decent bath & separate shower, (no nasty shower curtains) additional speciality restaurants and for me a bigger swimming pool not a little goldfish bowl.

Not too big I hope as the present ships are far more pleasent with smaller occupancy than their huge counterparts

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post

Hi FB, I think Azamara may choose slightly larger ships for the future. Of course, it is all about profit for the company, but it would be a shame if Azamara were to lose the intimate atmosphere they currently have on board Quest and Journey.

Both Quest and Journey are being increasingly used for charters. A profitable option for any cruise line, as they are guaranteed to have a full ship and the money is paid up front.

I would love to sail with Oceania, but it's unlikely, as their solo supplement is 100%. At least, Azamara do offer the occasional deal for solo travellers, with just a 25% supplement.

I hope your job is going well.

Regards, Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
          Hi FB, I think Azamara may choose slightly larger ships for the future. Of course, it is all about profit for the company, but it would be a shame if Azamara were to lose the intimate atmosphere they currently have on board Quest and Journey.

Both Quest and Journey are being increasingly used for charters. A profitable option for any cruise line, as they are guaranteed to have a full ship and the money is paid up front.

I would love to sail with Oceania, but it's unlikely, as their solo supplement is 100%. At least, Azamara do offer the occasional deal for solo travellers, with just a 25% supplement.

I hope your job is going well.

Regards, Jan
          We 'discovered' Azamara last year and have had a couple more since, and we're at the stage where we hope nothing changes. I would worry that a larger ship would lose something of the unique atmosphere.

I like the idea that they could acquire another 1 or 2 of the current 'R' ships, which are, as others have said, remarkably well designed vessels, but I guess that depends on others being willing to sell them. Would P&O sell Adonia?

Whatever they do, I hope they don't change the unique experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Max, Warwickshire View Post
            We 'discovered' Azamara last year and have had a couple more since, and we're at the stage where we hope nothing changes. I would worry that a larger ship would lose something of the unique atmosphere.

I like the idea that they could acquire another 1 or 2 of the current 'R' ships, which are, as others have said, remarkably well designed vessels, but I guess that depends on others being willing to sell them. Would P&O sell Adonia?

Whatever they do, I hope they don't change the unique experience.
            Hi Max, I too am an Azamara fan. I've enjoyed some lovely holidays on board both Quest and Journey.

I enjoy sailing on the smaller ships, which I feel offer a more intimate experience. I would be disappointed if Azamara chose to go ahead and buy huge new ships. I think it's unlikely, as one of Azamara's selling points is the fact that their current ships can dock at ports inaccessible to larger vessels..
            Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 8th February 2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

A well known Wall Street analyst, Tim Conder of Wells Fargo Securities, has speculated that Norwegian Cruise Lines might well be interested in Adonia and Pacific Princess; these two ships might well be on the market, to add to the Oceania Fleet. It is also suggested that Royal Caribbean still favours the very large ships so Larry Pimentel will have his work cut out buying similar sized ships to the "R" ships.

Larry Pimentel is, however, quite an ambitious person and it would not surprise me to see an announcement about two "Marina" sized ships on order for Azamara. The "R " ships are great but the next size up is, I understand, more financially rewarding. Also there is passenger dissatisfaction with the smallish cabin sizes of the "R" ships.

My next cruise is with Azamara but I am beginning to favour Oceania ships for future cruising having very much enjoyed a few with them in the past..

Only time will tell I suppose. ....Neil

Comment

Viking Ocean Cruises might add a bit of competition is this sector. Their first ship, Viking Star is 47,800grt so about 50% larger than the"R" ships. First voyage in May this year with two more ships to follow next year.

Viking Ocean Cruises - Book an ocean cruise and save £1,000 per couple!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
                  Viking Ocean Cruises might add a bit of competition is this sector. Their first ship, Viking Star is 47,800grt so about 50% larger than the"R" ships. First voyage in May this year with two more ships to follow next year.

Viking Ocean Cruises - Book an ocean cruise and save £1,000 per couple!

Brian
                  The Viking ships look very attractive and what I would describe as 'real' ships.

The prices look expensive, but seem to include all excursions. It's interesting to note that certain cabin grades on many cruises are showing as 'Sold out'.
                  Last edited by Blondie, Oxford; 8th February 2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
                    Hi Max, I too am an Azamara fan. I've enjoyed some lovely holidays on board both Quest and Journey.

I enjoy sailing on the smaller ships, which I feel offer a more intimate experience. I would be disappointed if Azamara chose to go ahead and buy huge new ships. I think it's unlikely, as one of Azamara's selling points is the fact that their current ships can dock at ports inaccessible to larger vessels..
                    Hello, Jan. I remember your comments when we first tried Azamara in spring last year, and you were spot on.

In the autumn we picked up a lot of comments on board about new ships, though nothing authoratative. I'm still not sure if Azamara makes money or loses it, but money is always important to owners, and Neil makes a good point that slightly larger ships may be more profitable. Whatever they do, I hope they keep the atmosphere, and if I had any quibble at all, it would be to encourage a slightly wider mix of nationalities.

Comment

Carnival Corporation, which owns P&O and Princess Cruises is pursuing a policy of operating fleets of very large ships. They have sold Ocean Princess already to Oceania, so it will come as no surprise, if they also get rid of Pacific Princess and Adonia. Whether they would sell to Azamara, which is a Royal Caribbean company is another question entirely.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X