• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best and worst cabins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best and worst cabins

Which have been your best and worst cabins?

Our 2 worst cabins were:
    One we were allocated just off the atrium on one of the P & O ships. There was a lady singing in the atrium until midnight every night with a very loud voice. Even with the cabin door shut you could hear her singing and it was not great either. We complained to the reception and was told, there was nothing they could do, as she was employed to sing for this time. We had to wait until about 12.15 in the morning until we could try to get some sleep every night. The cabin air conditioning broke down and the cabin was very hot. We complained and was told we would be brought some cold bottled water as complimentary (then found they had tried to charge us for it). It took me 2 days of battling to get the charge taken off and even though it was a small amount, it was the principle of it and I was not giving up. This was very annoying.

The second cabin was on Ventura. We were in a balcony cabin on C deck and we had a group of people smoking on their balcony on D deck below every day, which drifted up onto our balcony which was very unpleasant. It would not happen now as they have banned smoking on balconies, but it did spoil the cruise as we were limited on when we could use the balcony.

Our best cabin was on Marco Polo. We booked guarantee and were upgraded several grades and got an outside cabin, which was the biggest outside cabin we had ever seen and biggest on the deck (about twice the size of a P & O inside) which was great. We stepped out of our cabin, a couple of strides to the lift, which took us straight to the open decks and the buffet for breakfast and the evening restaurant was one deck above, so well placed too.

What has been your best and worst cabin you have stayed in?
    Last edited by lucy, sutton; 2nd June 2018, 07:10 AM.

Recently on Celebrity Constellation and why I can still remember the outside cabin no. 3092, it was situated midships, just below the prom deck and we would hear the sound of running water going through the interior close to the window. It would differ in intensity from just hearing it to a loud water fall type noise and it didn’t seem to matter at what time of day it was either, it was happening 24/7 on and off. Complaining about it was a waste of time as they said it was likely the windows being washed (throughout the night, I said?) and really didn’t have a clue or maybe that should have said no interest in getting to the bottom of it, as I suspect it was a known problem, as I can’t believe previous cruisers wouldn’t have raised it! I did look on the prom for drainage, but there was none in the vicinity of the cabin and the seas were very calm, so put it down to the ship design and got on with the Cruise, hoping for a trickle and not a full flush of water through the bulkhead to wake us up.

Comment

Choosing a cabin has always been a priority, preferably within reach of the lift call button, on a stairwell that takes me directly to the main restaurants, bars, lounges and pool area.

Noise has never been an issue for me as I can sleep through world war 3.

I can't really come up with my best ever cabin, although on a recent Costa cruise I booked a GTY Inside at around £300 for the week and was upgraded to a midship balcony.............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Worst cabin has got to have been the balcony on NCL Epic - it was only our second cruise so we weren't in to all of the forums, research etc! The design left such a lot to be desired to say the least - we struggled to sleep as the bed's curved nature meant it wasn't long enough, the bathroom situation etc...

Bestis probably the suite we had on MSC Armonia for my 30th birthday - it was huge, well designed, plenty of storage and nice and bright

Comment

Got allocated a cabin near the lift on Arcadia,and discovered they are not noisy ,so now book one as near to the lift as possible.
          Worst not really had a bad one ,but did not check when booking on an RCI ship and ended up over a sound stage ,luckily we liked the music ,and it shut quite early , other than that most cabins we have had ,we enjoyed....Taffy
          ​Taffy

Comment

Our noisiest cabin was our first. We had no thought of researching over twenty five years ago and we had a suite, mid ships [perfect] high up [OK] right under the Lido restaurant [not quiet first thing in the morning].

Lesson learnt.

Comment

Hi all
              Got to be the outside cabin we had on Boudicca.
              You had to be a contortionist to get into the tiny tiny bathroom,,,and 2 hard as iron single beds with 18" between them.

Best we have had was cabin 6216 on Thomson Celebration and Spirit,,,outside cabin 10 steps from the doors to the promenade deck,,,,two steamer chairs outside the window,it was like having a large balcony on a ship with no balconies.
              A huge cabin you could have had a party in,,,,and we did.
              Or.
              Issy from Glasgow put me on to cabin 7280 on Celebrity soltice class ships,,,,on the midships hump,,,steps away from the lifts and a short walk from the unused/secret Hideaway for a coffee in the nigh.Cabin 6230 is the same,a deck below.
              JC
              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 2nd June 2018, 02:44 PM.
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We spend so little time in our cabin but I still choose very carefully before we book.

Having experienced a forward suite just below the bridge during bad weather, position is key for us. We are happier in an inside amidships or an outside/balcony, provided we are not below a public area which could prove noisy at night.

When I am booking, I have the ship's deck plans up on the screen and choose the best cabin available that suits our pocket.

Our worst cabin was on Balmoral which was placed below a bar, where the noise coming from the glass washing machine woke us up in the early hours.

I can't single out a best cabin because most of them have been OK or better. I suppose the ones on Oceania, Azamara, Seabourn & Cunard have been the most spacious.
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi all
                  Got to be the outside cabin we had on Boudicca.
                  You had to be a contortionist to get into the tiny tiny bathroom,,,and 2 hard as iron single beds with 18" between them.

Best we have had was cabin 6216 on Thomson Celebration and Spirit,,,outside cabin 10 steps from the doors to the promenade deck,,,,two steamer chairs outside the window,it was like having a large balcony on a ship with no balconies.
                  A huge cabin you could have had a party in,,,,and we did.
                  Or.
                  Issy from Glasgow put me on to cabin 7280 on Celebrity soltice class ships,,,,on the midships hump,,,steps away from the lifts and a short walk from the unused/secret Hideaway for a coffee in the nigh.Cabin 6230 is the same,,,,in 7280 again for my Eclipse cruise in October.
                  JC
                  Hi jc
                  We have a hump cabin around those numbers on our Eclipse cruise..apparently the Hideaway has become a haven for teenagers late at night on some cruises.
                  We've not really had a bad cabin..but we have had a badly placed cabin.
                  Meraviglia..nicely appointed but next to lift and balcony right under pool deck and smoking corner.
                  Regards
                  Garfield
                  Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 2nd June 2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Worst cabin by a mile was an outside superior on Boudicca. Green and dark wood with single beds like cots, drab and horrible

Best was a suite at the back of the ship on Ventura, lots of room, bright and modern.
                    Best inside cabin was on Queen Mary, really luxurious, loved it.

Cabin of choice would be a balcony right at the back of the ship, love them .................................................. ..Carol

Comment

Worst was on a Thomson ship, possibly Spirit. It was a late cheapy inside near the bow. Our daughter had the next cabin to us. We had some rough weather one night. It was like being in a demented high speed lift. Up and down all night. We were't ill, but got no sleep. We discovered our daughter had abandoned hers and spent the night in a public lounge. Other than that, all have been fine. Best buy are the partially obstructed balcony rooms on Solstice class ships. Virtually no obstruction at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                        Worst was on a Thomson ship, possibly Spirit. It was a late cheapy inside near the bow. Our daughter had the next cabin to us. We had some rough weather one night. It was like being in a demented high speed lift. Up and down all night. We were't ill, but got no sleep. We discovered our daughter had abandoned hers and spent the night in a public lounge. Other than that, all have been fine. Best buy are the partially obstructed balcony rooms on Solstice class ships. Virtually no obstruction at all.
                        I agree about the partially obstructed cabins on S class, also the 'sweet 16’ On Millennium class are priced as semi obstructed but have huge balconies and the only obstruction is the roof of a restaurant level with the floor so you can’t see straight down.

Our worst cabin was the one I referred to on another thread - a porthole cabin on Thomson Emerald. We didn’t know much about cruising then and thought any cabin would do. We know better now.

Comment

Best by far Garden Villa NCL Dawn.

Getting a bit fed up with small cabins but sometimes the money is best carried over to the next trip.

Had a creaky cabin on Island escape constant rattles even in port.

We had a very forward cabin on a princess ship long walk everywhere.

We did an ov GTY on NCL spirit got allocated right next to the gang plank door.
                          Thought it would be a nightmare and tried to change to one of the big insides but failed.
                          Turned out it was great as they used the other side most ports.

Comment

Millennium class large aft suites are fantastic there is one each side with huge balconies.
                            If you book both they will remove the partition making one big outdoor wrap around both sides of the ship.

Comment

I was unhappy with my inside cabin on NCL Jade as there didn't seem to adequate sound insulation so I kept getting woken up in the early hours by my neighbours. My studio cabin on NCL Epic had seen better days, and the wardrobe door kept either falling off or jamming on the slider. Maintenance weren't very good at doing a repair.

My favourite cabin was my single balcony on Ovation of the Seas. Although narrow, I had a long balcony because it was on the side of the hump. I liked my aft balcony on Mariner of the Seas, although it did tend to get dirty. My single cabin on Britannia was pleasant, and I liked the location. It was very close to the library and as it was a transatlantic I got through quite a few books.

Most cabins are OK, although the single cabin on Balmoral had grim decor. The single cabins on Brilliance of the Seas were very small, probably because they were added in a refit. Nevertheless I will be back in one in 2020 because the price was good.
                              2018-
                              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you