• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltics cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Baltics cruise

    Thinking of booking a Baltic cruise for Summer 2018- any advice re currency, ports of call, how intensive the cruise is would be very much appreciated.

    #2
    Originally posted by woodings, Doncaster View Post
    Thinking of booking a Baltic cruise for Summer 2018- any advice re currency, ports of call, how intensive the cruise is would be very much appreciated.
    I don't know who you are sailing with but you can read how we got on last year on my blog.

    Wansbrough's Digital Postcards from the Baltic on Celebrity Eclipse
    www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

    Comment


      #3
      Personally I find the Baltic itinerary one of the most fascinating. Go for it!
      See my cruise blog: HERE

      Comment


        #4
        Have bookmarked your page - essential reading thanks!

        Comment


          #5
          It is usually quite an intensive itinerary but so interesting. The hour moves forward for a few days on end which is a shock to the system

          Wansborough's blog is far better then anything I could write and will give you a real flavour of what to expect, I hope you find a cruise to suit you...Carol

          Comment


            #6
            The Baltics was our first cruise and we loved every port of call. I am sure you will be hooked too and maybe (like us) want to return to Russia, which we did on a river cruise 3 years later.

            Have a great time.
            Jill

            Comment


              #7
              Possibly the most interesting area to cruise No bad or boring ports IMO .
              For Currency Euros would do for the most places or Credit card ,It Depends on the currency of the ship your on....Taffy
              ​Taffy

              Comment


                #8
                We enjoyed the Baltic, but probably won't go again. There are too many prettier and more interesting places. Everyone seems to love St Petersburg, but I didn't like it. I found it very disturbing that some ordinary people still live in tenement buildings, with several apartments sharing a kitchen and bathroom, while the elite drive round in flash cars. Yes, I know this occurs everywhere, but for some reason it is noticeable in Russia. Stockholm, Tallinn and Helsinki are beautiful. Don't miss the Vasa museum in Stockholm.

                Comment


                  #9
                  We did a 14 night Baltic cruise with Celebrity. It was a wonderful cruise but very exhausting as there so much to do & see. As far as currency we booked a 2 day tour with Alla Tours in St Petersburg and it was excellent value - we paid in us$ For the other ports we used Euro's

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I did the Baltics in 2015, and had a great time. I would go again if the price was right.

                    All of the private tour companies in Ste Petersburg get good reviews, I was with TJTours.

                    One slightly different thing to do in Stockholm is a visit to the Abba Museum. It was great fun, we got to sing on a stage with virtual Abba and go into a recording booth. It was light relief after the cultural overload of St Petersburg.
                    2018-
                    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

                    2019 -
                    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

                    2020 -
                    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                    Magellan - Panama Canal

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                      We enjoyed the Baltic, but probably won't go again. There are too many prettier and more interesting places. Everyone seems to love St Petersburg, but I didn't like it. I found it very disturbing that some ordinary people still live in tenement buildings, with several apartments sharing a kitchen and bathroom, while the elite drive round in flash cars. Yes, I know this occurs everywhere, but for some reason it is noticeable in Russia. Stockholm, Tallinn and Helsinki are beautiful. Don't miss the Vasa museum in Stockholm.
                      I'm so pleased you said that, thought it was only me, I only liked Stockholm and Tallin, but I'm glad I went

                      Woodings, have a wonderful time there is certainly plenty to see and do .................................................. ..........Carol

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                        We enjoyed the Baltic, but probably won't go again. There are too many prettier and more interesting places. Everyone seems to love St Petersburg, but I didn't like it. I found it very disturbing that some ordinary people still live in tenement buildings, with several apartments sharing a kitchen and bathroom, while the elite drive round in flash cars. Yes, I know this occurs everywhere, but for some reason it is noticeable in Russia. Stockholm, Tallinn and Helsinki are beautiful. Don't miss the Vasa museum in Stockholm.
                        I loved the Vasa museum too. Helsinki a very underrated city.

                        I may return to St. Petersburg one day but on a land trip.

                        Contrast in living standards between ordinary folk and the wealthy - Mumbai, Bangkok, Hong Kong comes to mind. Possibly a couple of European cities too??

                        Nothing wrong with tenement buildings. An apartment in one building overlooking the 18th at St Andrews costs £1M.

                        Annie

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                          Nothing wrong with tenement buildings. An apartment in one building overlooking the 18th at St Andrews costs £1M.

                          Annie
                          Nothing at all wrong with an apartment in St Andrews, apart from the price, but some of the blocks in Russia have up to ten flats sharing cooking and bathing facilities. I know this situation is repeated in other cities, but it is wrong there too. I just don't like Russia I'm afraid.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                            Nothing at all wrong with an apartment in St Andrews, apart from the price, but some of the blocks in Russia have up to ten flats sharing cooking and bathing facilities. I know this situation is repeated in other cities, but it is wrong there too. I just don't like Russia I'm afraid.

                            Fair comment Judith.

                            I suspect that country like ours is not quick in updating the social housing stock.

                            Annie

                            Comment


                              #15
                              We did a Baltic cruise in 2015 and 2016 with Regent, loved the whole cruise found the itinerary interesting. Thought the museums in St P fascinating and can now understand why there was an uprising against the Royal family with the difference in wealth.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X