• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Language on board ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandgirl, The Chilterns View Post
    I don't really get swearing. Can't see the point of it, just shows a lack of imagination or education in not being able to find other words to express yourself. Neither my Husband or I swear, none of our friends swear, generally no family members swear. When I worked a couple of people I worked with swore, it doesn't bother me, but I don't think it is pleasant to listen too. Some people cannot speak without swearing, life can be miserable enough without having those around you swearing.

As to comedians on a cruise, the show wouldn't be to our taste and we would leave.
    Cannot believe how much swearing and vulgarity there is in movies these days, which I think is because there isn't any swearing on mainstream US TV so they let rip in movie. No need for it and it adds nothing IMO.
    Hear, hear. Hear, hear.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl, The Chilterns View Post
      I don't really get swearing. Can't see the point of it, just shows a lack of imagination or education in not being able to find other words to express yourself. Neither my Husband or I swear, none of our friends swear, generally no family members swear. When I worked a couple of people I worked with swore, it doesn't bother me, but I don't think it is pleasant to listen too. Some people cannot speak without swearing, life can be miserable enough without having those around you swearing.

As to comedians on a cruise, the show wouldn't be to our taste and we would leave.
      Cannot believe how much swearing and vulgarity there is in movies these days, which I think is because there isn't any swearing on mainstream US TV so they let rip in movie. No need for it and it adds nothing IMO.
      islandgirl and JohnR

This article may disagree with you.

It's states and I quote "
      Most linguists would maintain that swearing does not show a poor command of a language, but rather demonstrates that you know the language very well"

BBC - Voices - Your Voice
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
        islandgirl and JohnR

This article may disagree with you.

It's states and I quote "
        Most linguists would maintain that swearing does not show a poor command of a language, but rather demonstrates that you know the language very well"

BBC - Voices - Your Voice
        According to an article in the Daily Mail a couple of days ago-

'You might have been told swearing shows a lack of intelligence or a limited vocabulary.

But experts have revealed this is not the case, and the use of profanity can in fact be a sign of a smart person.

Studies have shown those with foul mouths are more articulate and have a larger vocabulary than their peers.'

The article then goes on to quote the author Benjamin Bergen, Professor of cognitive sciences at UC San Diego, who has written a book, and also the 2014 research quoted on the BBC clip.

That's me sorted then [although I do draw the line at foul language]!!!!

Comment

That's the biggest load of f×@!+=% b#$÷=£¥ I've ever heard..😂
          Regards
          Garfield
          Member of Mensa.
          Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 20th November 2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
            That's the biggest load of f×@!+=% b#$÷=£¥ I've ever heard..😂
            Regards
            Garfield
            I remember ages ago one member picking up another for swearing. Like Duncan and his use of a lovely word which can be said with feeling and heavy emphasis on the 'p', I didn't associate it with being a swear word. Same with a four letter word starting with s and ending in t. One can get such a heavy emphasis on the final constanant which really expresses one's feeling at that time.
            However another 'c' word, 'f' and worse, no way Jose

Edit

Non Mensa member as I have no need of it.

Comment

Lol..different strokes for different folks.
              I work with one guy whose every other word begin with f..and he's as thick as pig pooh so gives a lie to that chaps very expensive research.

Regards
              Garfield

Comment

Lol..different strokes for different folks.
                I work with one guy whose every other word begin with f..and he's as thick as pig pooh so gives a lie to that chaps very expensive research.

Regards
                Garfield
                Ah but...
                There is the constant use of a word/words instead of others as the language skill just hasn't developed enough to use alternative vocabulary, and then there's the occasional XXXt or XXXp as the words are just so explosively descriptive!!!

...and by the way, are you challenging that great scientific journal, The Mail Online?
                Shame on you Garfie.

Comment

To be fair he doesn't use the c word ..strange really that this is seen a step to far by some.
                  Personally I try not to use either...my favourite saying which can be taken either way is" What the flying duck are you going on about"
                  Usually in meetings where the bullshine bingo goes into overdrive.

Regards
                  Garfield

Comment

To be fair he doesn't use the c word ..strange really that this is seen a step to far by some.
                    Personally I try not to use either...my favourite saying which can be taken either way is" What the flying duck are you going on about"
                    Usually in meetings where the bullshine bingo goes into overdrive.

Regards
                    Garfield
                    There you go. I've never heard of Bullshine Bingo.New one on me

However I have heard of Bullsxxt Bingo!!!
                    Indeed we wives, used to play it during afterdinner speeches at corporate do's. I won many a glass of S.B...and that was after a few already!!!!

Comment

Same thing..BS bingo..but I knew the swear filter would blank out shìt..

Regards
                      Garfield

Comment

Same thing..BS bingo..but I knew the swear filter would blank out shìt..

Regards
                        Garfield
                        ...and it didn't! but as a lady with impeccable manners, I wouldn't DREAM of writing sxxt on this forum!!! Tee hee!

I wonder if Amazon have that game in their Toys and Games dept. I seem to have spent a lot there over the last few days. Christmas is a coming, apparently.

Comment

I used a little trick to get round it..I wasn't a forum admin for 4 years without learning the odd trick.
                          As for xmas...bah humbug.

Regards
                          Garfield

Comment

I used a little trick to get round it..I wasn't a forum admin for 4 years without learning the odd trick.
                            As for xmas...bah humbug.

Regards
                            Garfield
                            I'm guessing M&S Mother Christmas didn't strike a chord then!

I love Christmas!

Comment

Both my wife and myself have a wide vocabulary of colourful words (although my wife's is wider than mine) neither of which include the 'c' word. These can be used to show our feelings, without having to launch into time-wasting explanations.

However as the link explained, when and how we use them, often will depend on any number of factors, including where we are and who can hear us. Since they are both useful and can be offensive, it's vital to get the balance right. Certainly we do not use them as part of everyday conversation.

It's a social as well as a linguistic skill to be able to judge your audience appropriately, a skill which I think I achieve more so than my wife. They are mainly used when others are talking bullsxxt as my wife often colourfully informs me.

Although 'bulksxxt bingo' is also a phrase new to me.
                              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 20th November 2016, 08:31 PM.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I find pain is relieved by use of a swear word (or string of them). As was shown today in my use of the sentence 'f***,f***,f***ety, f***' after slipping with the spanner.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X