• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Language on board ship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Delboy, Essex;761086]It certainly would not bother me, especially if it was in a bar at 23:45 pm, at that time of night I would expect the bars to full of adults. Holiday or not, Land or Sea I would not have taken my children into a bar at nearly midnight.

I remember when we were on Ventura, it was announced the Comedian who had done a gig in one of the bars at 10pm, would be returning later to do a second more Adult show at 11/30pm. Come 11/30pm, a couple with 2 small children came in and sat on the front row, as the comedian announced that's just killed my act. [QUOTE]

I am always amazed at the number of people who wheel their kids in to late shows or allow them to be running around the buffet at 11pm.

Comment

I do not enjoy hearing bad language, but I don't think there is anything wrong with more edgy shows late at night. I have often seen reference to late night comedy shows with adult content on cruise ships, and personally do not choose to attend. I wouldn't deny anyone the right to see a show just because I don't agree with the content. I was amused at the review writer who kept returning to see the same comedian who offended them.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by dst87, Falkirk View Post
        It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I don't understand why some people are so hung up about bad language.

In terms of my own experience, I do remember hearing an uncensored version of a song during the pre-show music in the theatre on Anthem of the Seas, which I found surprising and quite entertaining. But nothing that stands out.

To comment on the specific example, I would be very surprised if bad language was used as part of a sing-a-long type show. I wouldn't be offended, but knowing that some people would be means that it was probably a bad move from Royal.
        I am not hung up about bad language but I do NOT like it bandied about in Public ESPECIALLY in the company of women

Comment

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
          I commented on the review as it reminded of an incident on our recent cruise on Navigator. We were in the Star Lounge playing majority rules. It was 9.30pm and was not listed as adult only. We had our 11 year old grandson with us and I ended up having to explain to him what a jonny was because of one of the answers read out by the host. A lot of children were in the lounge and I thought it was inappropriate on a family ship. There was also talk about the size of men's willies. It wouldn't have bothered me if we had been on our own but not suitable for grandson to listen to.
          I think there's a time and a place for everything. Why should children always be accommodated? IMO, 9.00pm would be a suitable cut-off point (sort of watershed). I wouldn't expect one of the Lounges/Bars to have to consider any youngsters after 9.00pm. Not a ban as such, but at your own discretion and if there's 'adult' content, then tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
            I think there's a time and a place for everything. Why should children always be accommodated? IMO, 9.00pm would be a suitable cut-off point (sort of watershed). I wouldn't expect one of the Lounges/Bars to have to consider any youngsters after 9.00pm. Not a ban as such, but at your own discretion and if there's 'adult' content, then tough.
            Hi Victoria
            I could understand this if the venue was separate from the rest of the ship i.e. a comedy club but this is one of the main bars on RCI and predominantly just outside the theatre and a main thoroughfare after shows...and 9.00 pm?
            RCI are supposed to be family friendly you know?
            There are plenty of other places where this could have been accommodated if they wanted an adults only theme.

It seems to me this guy was coming to the end of his contract and had a couldn't care less attitude to any sensitivities of his audience.

Regards
            Garfield

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
              Hi Victoria
              I could understand this if the venue was separate from the rest of the ship i.e. a comedy club but this is one of the main bars on RCI and predominantly just outside the theatre and a main thoroughfare after shows...and 9.00 pm?
              RCI are supposed to be family friendly you know?
              There are plenty of other places where this could have been accommodated if they wanted an adults only theme.

It seems to me this guy was coming to the end of his contract and had a couldn't care less attitude to any sensitivities of his audience.

Regards
              Garfield
              I wasn't referring to the review but to the 'johnny' remark.
              I'm well aware that RCI are family friendly having been on AOS twice with my own 3 teenagers. They were well catered for, so I don't think that references to a 'johnny' during a quiz at 9.30pm were inappropriate. Give the adults their entertainment too - if you bring your children along after about 9pm, then surely you can expect mild adult content.

Comment

I'm surprised that the complainer thought that RCI would be a 5 star cruise line. Much as I like RCI, I do recognise that it is not.

I don't think that 11.45pm is inappropriate for 'adult' content. I've been to some adult shows and don't always find them funny - sometimes bad language is used to mask poor content. I did leave one show because of that.

The entertainer was at fault though. The complaint was conveyed to him - he should have left it at that, and not harped on about it every following night.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I honestly think any entertainer who needs to resort to Anglo Saxon expletives to gerate a laugh is not clever or funny. I just don't see what people do find funny in it, give me inuendo.
                  I'm a member of a men only club and if I were to be heard using one foul word I would be suspended and required to be in front of the commitee to explain myself.

Ray
                  Retired now it's all fun

Comment

I agree with Yogini. The guy was obviously disgruntled at someone complaining about is act but he should have left it at that instead of referring to the subject the following nights. As mentioned on this topic the comment about RCI being a 5 star line I thought was very funny. As you would say 'your having a laugh ' apart from the fact you wouldn't get me on any RCI ship. As far as the language issue bad language is not necessary in my opinion a comedian can be very funny without it.
                    Last edited by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster; 16th November 2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtheoldsalt, felixstowe View Post
                      I am not hung up about bad language but I do NOT like it bandied about in Public ESPECIALLY in the company of women
                      Sorry Jim, but I can't help but laugh at your Victorian depiction of woman who may faint and the merest utterance of vulgarity, so sensitive and weak they are. What utter nonsense! Feminism set back centuries!

Common sense should dictate that foul language not be used in certain situations, but the gender of the company has no bearing on that.

You also must remember that many people are raised in households where swearing is part of the normal lexicon - they do not necessarily have the same learned distinction between vulgar language and everyday language. I've discovered that a word I used growing up with no hint that it was inappropriate (the word is "crap") is considered a swear word in some cases. My neice and nephew tell me off every time I use the word. I wouldn't swear in front of them - I have a filter - but as I haven't learned that this word is bad, I don't filter it out.
                      Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

The song is a take on the Smokie song from the 70,s "Living next door to Alice" By Roy "chubby" Brown, I went to see him in The Southwick Social Club in Sunderland in the early 70,s. My friend and I walked into the concert room when he was 10 mins or so into his act. You can imagine the stick he gave us as we walked past the stage to get to our seats!!! He had our lives for most of the night because we came in late, However we took it on the chin and laughed about it, As we still do today. If bad language is not for you walk out! Jan.

Comment

Sorry Jim, but I can't help but laugh at your Victorian depiction of woman who may faint and the merest utterance of vulgarity, so sensitive and weak they are. What utter nonsense! Feminism set back centuries!

Common sense should dictate that foul language not be used in certain situations, but the gender of the company has no bearing on that.

You also must remember that many people are raised in households where swearing is part of the normal lexicon - they do not necessarily have the same learned distinction between vulgar language and everyday language. I've discovered that a word I used growing up with no hint that it was inappropriate (the word is "crap") is considered a swear word in some cases. My neice and nephew tell me off every time I use the word. I wouldn't swear in front of them - I have a filter - but as I haven't learned that this word is bad, I don't filter it out.
                          I do not have a victorian attitude re woman,I.
                          was a teenager in the 50s and i was brought up to be civil in the presence of ladies and give up my seat when on a bus to a woman or an elderly person.
                          My wife would not faint at vulgarity but does not like it,
                          I am glad that I am coming to the end of my life because if your attitude to women and bad language is common place then i am better out of it,

Comment

was a teenager in the 50s and i was brought up to be civil in the presence of ladies and give up my seat when on a bus to a woman or an elderly person.
                            I am glad that I am coming to the end of my life because if your attitude to women and bad language is common place then i am better out of it,
                            Sorry Jim. I was raised to be decent to everyone, regardless of their genitalia.

I can assure you that if we met you'd be unlikely to hear bad language from me. That's got nothing to do with gender but from the ability to behave in a way that's appropriate around new people. You can gauge the sort of language people use and match that to some degree to help communicate more effectively.

Again, gender is irrelevant to being courteous. If you need a seat on the bus, Jim, you're always welcome to mine.
                            Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

Hi Jim

As there is not a lot of difference in our ages and having also met both you and your lovely wife, I fully understand where you are coming from.

Although I live in a family where the use of colourful language can be part of the everyday lexicon, and more so by the women especially my wife than by the men. Rather than mock, I admire you for your stance and something I myself try to uphold.

Although I may use it on occasions in the home, especially when I read comments like dst's comment re feminism . I certainly do not use it in the general course of conversation, certainly not in front of other family members, friends or acquaintances irrespective of gender.

Personally not offended by those who use it as part of their everyday lexicon or by an entertainer, but swear at me in a derogatory way then it's a different story.
                              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 16th November 2016, 06:47 PM.
                              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Sorry Jim. I was raised to be decent to everyone, regardless of their genitalia.

I can assure you that if we met you'd be unlikely to hear bad language from me. That's got nothing to do with gender but from the ability to behave in a way that's appropriate around new people. You can gauge the sort of language people use and match that to some degree to help communicate more effectively.

Again, gender is irrelevant to being courteous. If you need a seat on the bus, Jim, you're always welcome to mine.

Duncan

If a thumbs up button was available I would use it!

Sheila

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X