• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scam warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scam warning

I had an email this morning, supposedly from HM Courts and Tribunal Service saying that I had a fixed penalty charge of £25 for failing to pay the charge in a road charging area, presumably similar to the London area. At first sight this looked official, and I was scratching my head wondering where I had been which might attract such a charge. On looking closer there were many oddities. For example, the location was given as "United Kingdom", not a specific area, the reg. number of the offending vehicle wasn't shown, nor was the date of the alleged offence. Additionally, the vehicle was supposed to be registered in my name. Our main car is registered in my wife's name, and my classic cars haven't been out much this year, and certainly not out of our immediate area. Clearly a scam, but some could be caught out.

Oh they just go on and on don't they , Ive had emails from HMRC telling me they owe me money ( that's a laugh I don't pay tax ) Phone calls from Amazon telling me to press number 1 I don't think so , Emails from Mcfee telling me that my subscription is coming to an end . ( never been with them) . These scams are very frightening , there are some very vulnerable people about , You just have to be on the ball all the time ,

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
      Oh they just go on and on don't they , Ive had emails from HMRC telling me they owe me money ( that's a laugh I don't pay tax ) Phone calls from Amazon telling me to press number 1 I don't think so , Emails from Mcfee telling me that my subscription is coming to an end . ( never been with them) . These scams are very frightening , there are some very vulnerable people about , You just have to be on the ball all the time ,
      Yes scams coming through thick and fast, via telephone and email. I’ve had the refund email from HMRC, I also don’t pay tax. Phone call from Amazon telling me to press button 1 as my Prime account is about to expire, I don’t subscribe to Prime. Phone call from Sky telling me to ring number given, my Internet has apparently been hacked and my service is about to be permanently disconnected, I’m with BT. Phone call from BBC licensing telling me to contact them urgently before I pay to renew my BBC licence. Evidently, I qualify for a free licence, I don’t qualify and I’ve already renewed my licence.

Have these people nothing better to do with their time?

Comment

Nothing compared to the ongoing scam you can't have a refund for 90 days.

More people have fallen for that one that all the others that get posted here.

Comment

I had the HMRC scam a few weeks ago. Apparently they were sending a posse to arrest me for tax fraud. Since they called my mobile phone and I was nowhere near my home at the time good luck to them with that. The most bizarre though was an 'organisation' who for a fee of course would arrange renewal of my US firearms licence.
          Logic will get you from A to B.
          Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post
            I had the HMRC scam a few weeks ago. Apparently they were sending a posse to arrest me for tax fraud. Since they called my mobile phone and I was nowhere near my home at the time good luck to them with that. The most bizarre though was an 'organisation' who for a fee of course would arrange renewal of my US firearms licence.
            Yup, we all need an 'ESTA' and firearms licence to visit good ole USA.

Thanks Donald.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
              I had an email this morning, supposedly from HM Courts and Tribunal Service saying that I had a fixed penalty charge of £25 for failing to pay the charge in a road charging area, presumably similar to the London area. At first sight this looked official, and I was scratching my head wondering where I had been which might attract such a charge. On looking closer there were many oddities. For example, the location was given as "United Kingdom", not a specific area, the reg. number of the offending vehicle wasn't shown, nor was the date of the alleged offence. Additionally, the vehicle was supposed to be registered in my name. Our main car is registered in my wife's name, and my classic cars haven't been out much this year, and certainly not out of our immediate area. Clearly a scam, but some could be caught out.
              Hi Peter
              This is the one,,,,,don’t click on any links people,,,,the spelling mistake should set the alarm bell ringing.

0E589569-11FF-438C-9580-F0E2D3FB977B.png
              JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Yep. That's it.

Comment

They'd managed to correct the spelling mistakes on the version I got.

Comment

Forget the spelling the return email is wrong also PCN are not issued by the courts, Councils or TFL are the main ones and always in writing.

The penalty amounts also don't comply with legislation.

Comment

Who cares???? e-mail, how much, who charges, even how it is spelt..................

If you get anything with links in e-mails, just bin them. Safest way everytime.

Comment

If you get an email with a link, just hover over it and see where it going to take you. An easy way of checking.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                          Oddly enough, I received one yesterday morning the same as you! They must have done a batch of them. I reported mine to the Police in the hope that they will publicise this as being a massive scam. Although I laughed at their cheek, I know people who would believe they had to pay which is very sad, especially when they discover their cleaned out bank account. I also got a phone call the other day from a foreign person reminding me that I had recently been involved in an accident. I replied that I had and had died in that accident so he was talking to my ghost! He quickly rang off!! I love having fun with these callers if and when I do answer.

Comment

Here's a link for anyone who wants to report suspicious e-mails...
                            Action Fraud has set up a dedicated email address where you can forward any scam emails that you receive

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X