• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fear of Conovirus leads to cancellation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of Conovirus leads to cancellation

Me and my wife celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary in 1985 on the QE2 and cruised on it two more times. 2010 saw us celebrate our Golden anniversary aboard Queen Mary 2, following major lung cancer operation. In June this year 2020 we celebrate 60 years of a wonderful marriage. We booked a P&O cruise to celebrate in June. Due to buy insurance and pay the balance in March I have become very nervous due to my health condition, PULMONARY HYPERTENSION and with all the uncertainty of CONOVIRUS, we have decided to cancel the cruise.
    This would have been our 12th cruise and feel very sad about our decision. We have now lost our £600 deposit unless we book another cruise before the balance is due in March.
    WHILE P&O HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE OUR DEPOSIT IS THERE SOME WAY WE COULD RETRIEVE IT ??

Which of the 24 cruises in June was it?

Can you move the deposit to a cruise as far out in date as you can to keep the deposit alive.

You may then be able to move it to another cruise if you ever feel happy going on a cruise again.

Comment

That is such a shame but given your health issues, you have probably made the right decision.

We have cancelled cruises and lost deposits on more than one occasion. A couple were due to my OH's health issues and a couple more from a change of heart or family circumstances. In the end though, you have to accept that the loss of the money is worth the peace of mind.

If you have already cancelled, I doubt you can do anything to retrieve your deposit.
      Jill

Comment

I wouldn't have used coronavirus as a reason to cancel, but if it was the impetus to give you second thoughts on the whole idea of being on a ship with the all the possible coughs and colds around, then fair enough.

Whilst utilising the deposit on another cruise is a great facility, the ever present problem of potential viruses, will always be a problem. The £600 might just be a steep learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Smyth, Sidcup View Post
          WHILE P&O HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE OUR DEPOSIT IS THERE SOME WAY WE COULD RETRIEVE IT ??
          Just a thought, how about your travel insurance?

Comment

They don't have any.......

from the post
            Due to buy insurance and pay the balance in March

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
              They don't have any.......

from the post
              I really must read the whole post more carefully!!

I will add though, book a cruise and book your insurance at the same time. No brainer.

Comment

We also have a cruise to the Baltic coming up in end June. I am hoping things will have stabilised by end March when we have to pay our final balance.

No doubt the cruise companies are watching the situation like hawks and "war-gaming" possible solutions. They will not want to see a catastrophic collapse of their industry. Ditto all holiday travel, business travel and hospitality industries etc. Apple are already warning of disruptions to their production schedules in their Chinese factories.

The fate of some cruise ship passengers being well looked after pales into insignificance if things get out of control. Who will make the medicines, who will administer them, who will drive the ambulances etc., etc. if people cannot get to their offices, factories and hospitals? Who will transport the oil, generate the electricity, drive the buses and trains if more and more people are quarantined?

They say face masks are a waste of time but would wearing disposable gloves (£6.50/100) help when shopping etc.? Who knows whom has just touched the supermarket trolley handle or the 50p piece in your change?

Comment

I would not knowingly put ourselves in danger and would have been very happy had we had a trip booked in the near future, over to Asia and the trip was cancelled but, all this fear of ''what might happen'', say on a Med/Baltic/Fjord [insert non Asian destination here] etc to my mind is pure panic and to my mind, dumb.

I can understand those with chronic illnesses thinking about ''floating petri dishes'' at sea and wondering if it's wise to chance their lungs etc but then that should be a continual decision and not one based on the the latest virus.

If folk without chronic illnesses are that concerned, hermetically seal themselves in their own little bubble and give up on the outside world!

As I have said before, I would give the Cunard cough and Noro more consideration than the latest problem.

We have cruises booked and as long as the ship sails, we will be paying for them and going.

Comment

Another option is to find someone that wants to go and change names

They should allow that for reasonable admin fees.

Comment

We have friends who’ve cancelled their Azura May cruise because they’re worried about Coronavirus. I think they are worrying about nothing but to them it’s a very real threat,
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Like others have said move the deposit to another cruise. Is it possible you could use it for one of the short 2 night breaks which you may feel more at ease with less exposure to risk?

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                          We have friends who’ve cancelled their Azura May cruise because they’re worried about Coronavirus. I think they are worrying about nothing but to them it’s a very real threat,
                          Exactly Issy. I was mindful of the opening post and the health problems mentioned when I suggested that they had made the right decision to cancel. What appears to be an over reaction by many, is a real worry to some.

As I said earlier, if you are that concerned then cancelling is the best option. Given his health problems, he might not feel confident in transferring the deposit to another cruise at this stage of the virus epidemic.

Jill

Comment

The reason you move a deposit is to keep it alive.

You can still cancel later for the same loss or have more time to find someone that wants it.

Comment

We are on the Iona on the 23rd of May, all paid up insurance bought, we are going up to the fjords. We shall just have to wait and see wwould the insurance pay out die to the virus I wonder? as it was current when I booked? or would PO have to either refund our fares ? fingers crossed!
                              sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X