• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnival Bans Offensive Clothing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnival Bans Offensive Clothing

"Carnival Cruise Line has changed its clothing policy to ban "offensive" clothing, a response to reports from other travel sectors about passengers displaying messages that others find offensive or threatening.

Under the new policy, nothing worn on board should "contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial, commentary, or hatred or violence in any form."

Carnival is a family-focused business, and the policy builds on existing clothing guidelines that reflect that atmosphere, spokesman Vance Gulliksen told CNN.

Enforcement will be case-by-case, he said. If a crew member sees a guest wearing clothing that violates the policy, staff will ask the guest to change clothing. "We will evaluate situations on a case by case basis and take appropriate steps as necessary," he said. "

I have never seen 'offensive' clothing on a cruise! Have you?

In a word......no.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post

I have never seen 'offensive' clothing on a cruise! Have you?
      Have you ever been on a Carnival cruise in America?

See here: https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/formal-dress/

I dont know who the couple are, but it is NOT the wife and I.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

All started allegedly when a US airline refused someone boarding for wearing a t shirt saying "Hail Satan" There would be outrage if someone was refused boarding for wearing a "Hail Jesus" t shirt.

Personally I'm not easily offended and the photos on the blog do not cause me any offense. I may question their taste or decency but don't take offense.

Comment

I have never seen offensive clothing on a cruise ship but then again, I've never been on a Carnival ship.
          Last edited by Smith7; 11th January 2020, 07:19 AM.
          Jill

Comment

This is fairly old news change goes back to before Xmas I remember seeing it in my news feed while away that week.

Little bit of research
            This is from 24Dec 2019

CC reported on the 19th Dec
            https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4895/
            FB goes back to the 15th Dec
            https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/p...47347535307782

Must be a slow news day if it has only just hit the UK shores.

"Hail Satan" was a Dec 2019 incident

Jet2 hit the news in May 2017 when they kicked off a Hen party for "b***s on tour"

there will be others.
            found a US one, May 2012......

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
              I have never seen offensive clothing on a cruise ship but then again. I've never been on a Carnival ship.
              No, neither have I and am unlikely ever to be! I've seen some sketches come in to breakfast in their pyjamas or eat in the buffet in their wet swimwear, but apart from that nothing offensive comes to mind.

Comment

I don really know why some people feel the need to wear political statements or swear words on a shirt.

I do recall that a guy (part of a stag do) was photographed in the main dining room of a P&O ship, I think, dressed a mans private part!
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post

No, neither have I and am unlikely ever to be! I've seen some sketches come in to breakfast in their pyjamas or eat in the buffet in their wet swimwear, but apart from that nothing offensive comes to mind.
                  I was once on a ship in Barbados trying to relax on deck in the afternoon. There was horrendously loud music coming from a Carnival ship moored nearby which convinced me to avoid that particular cruise line for evermore.
                  Jill

Comment

I see this clothing line all the time and I still don't like it ...'FCUK'

I know it is French Connection but it just doesn't sit well with me...Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post

I agree. I object also to the inconsiderate folk who cannot be bothered to cover up their sweaty bodies at the buffet at lunch time. Don’t get me started on budgie smugglers!😳

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                        All started allegedly when a US airline refused someone boarding for wearing a t shirt saying "Hail Satan" There would be outrage if someone was refused boarding for wearing a "Hail Jesus" t shirt.

Personally I'm not easily offended and the photos on the blog do not cause me any offense. I may question their taste or decency but don't take offense.
                        Although no particular incident on Carnival precipitated the ban, it was triggered by a Tee worn on a a United flight which alluded to ''rope tree'' and ''journalists. According to a link, a journalist on board was intimidated by the ''death threat''.
                        Both the wearer of the tee and the intimidated journalist continued on the flight but the incident was enough to make Carnival line rethink their slogan on tees policy.

I wouldn't be at all bothered by slogans however crass. I'd feel sorry for the wearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post

We went to Florida, about 8 years ago now, and my brother in law had a FCUK T-shirt on, can't remember which park we were visiting but they made him turn it inside out, before allowing him in!! .................................................. ..................Carol

Comment

I have cruised Carnival both out of the US and Europe, and believe me they were worlds apart.

For many years, Carnival have allocated some ships to do 3 and 4 night cruises throughout the year. These attract the ‘End of term college kids’, much like the less frequent P&O Stag & Hen 2 and 3 nighters. Their ships are also designated ‘Fun’ ships, a term in itself that infers a less than formal atmosphere.

What I will say to the Not for me never critiques is, “Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it”.

My experience of Carnival, albeit not in recent years, is they knock spots off food and entertainment on any of the mass market lines I have been on…………Wilba
                            Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

We went to Florida, about 8 years ago now, and my brother in law had a FCUK T-shirt on, can't remember which park we were visiting but they made him turn it inside out, before allowing him in!! .................................................. ..................Carol
                              I’ve seen worse in the parks in Orlando. That said, it’s down to interpretation, isn’t it. Personally, I’ve never liked the FCUK branding.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X