• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously bad service!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously bad service!

I will be amazed if this complaint is posted!
    After booking both cruises and flights for many years with Cruise.co.uk with good service,
    we will never use them again.
    Last January, at LGW we had to forfeit our Caribbean Cruise and lost £4,000 because of a problem with my husband’s Esta. We managed to obtain another one but our flight had left by then.

We asked Cruise Uk to book more flights which
    we agreed to pay for as the problem was our fault.
    We were too late for flights that day and flights they found for the following day would not have arrived in time for the cruise.
    However, I was unaware that they did not search indirect flights and I later found that they could have booked a flight later that day to New York with a connection the following morning to Fort Lauderdale.
    They have never explained why they didn’t do this!
    We were too stressed to think of this solution but it should have been obvious to a professional!
    I reiterate that we expected to pay for these flights and to say we feel we are the victims of shabby treatment is an understatement!

If you had found seats were available on an indirect routing which would have got you to the ship in time, then this does seem rather poor service. If you could do it, then why couldn't the agent.

Comment

So why wait until now...nearly 8 months later to tell us about it? Just curious...?
      It does, on the face of it seem like poor service. Any agent should first attempt direct flights and then look at other options if these were not available.

Comment

What was the problem with the ESTA ? Clearly, this started the chain of events. What happened when you complained to Cruise ? Have you escalated the complaint ? I had friends that had to do the walk of shame at Edinburgh a couple of years back when the cruise booking agent didn’t process their Cuban visas. (Full package booked with the cruise company) It turned very messy and in the end, the cruise company wouldn’t accept any responsibility. The airline wouldn’t let them fly and it was a case of walking out of the airport back to the car park.

If you’ve booked via a credit card you may have some form of protection (via sec 75 Consumer Protection act) depending on the full circumstances of course. Just something to consider should it be required.
        Last edited by mike, lanarkshire; 25th August 2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
          What was the problem with the ESTA ? Clearly, this started the chain of events. What happened when you complained to Cruise ? Have you escalated the complaint ? I had friends that had to do the walk of shame at Edinburgh a couple of years back when the cruise booking agent didn’t process their Cuban visas. (Full package booked with the cruise company) It turned very messy and in the end, the cruise company wouldn’t accept any responsibility. The airline wouldn’t let them fly and it was a case of walking out of the airport back to the car park.

If you’ve booked via a credit card you may have some form of protection (via sec 75 Consumer Protection act) depending on the full circumstances of course. Just something to consider should it be required.
          My understanding is an ESTA is no guarantee of admission to USA.

Visas are the responsibility of the passenger and not the agent.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Annie
            Everytime, no agent will take responsibility for Visa's/ESTA's
            Wilba

Comment

Cruise fan wasn't laying culpability for the ESTA problems at any agent's door.

An agent worth their salt will try and rebook on any available route and the OP said they were aware they'd have to pay, IF seats are available on a schedule designed to get to the ship in time. The routing seemed to be available, had the availability of seats been established?

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Annie
                it wasn’t the US ESTA that caused the issue, it was the Cuban visa. I’m told that the package they had booked “included the visa”.

I’m well aware of the requirements for ESTA’s as we travel to the States regularly ......Insofar, as the Cruise agent is concerned, it’s what followed regarding the alleged failings of the agent to secure indirect flights, which resulted in the loss of the holiday. So, just for some clarity, that’s what I’m referring to.
                Last edited by mike, lanarkshire; 25th August 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

it wasn’t the US ESTA that caused the issue, it was the Cuban visa. I’m told that the package they had booked “included the visa”.

I’m well aware of the requirements for ESTA’s as we travel to the States regularly ......Insofar, as the Cruise agent is concerned, it’s what followed regarding the alleged failings of the agent to secure indirect flights, which resulted in the loss of the holiday. So, just for some clarity, that’s what I’m referring to.
                  Just to clarify, I was responding to the Cuban Visa tale.

Back to OP and the indirect flights, if I had found the indirect routing I would have gone into assertive mode and insisted the agent book them. I don't like switching into assertive mode but I can. Whether the indirect routing information was found early enough is of course another factor.

Annie

Comment

Annie, When this happened at LGW I had reasonably assumed that they had searched all flights.It never occurred to me that they would fail to do that especially when we were completely reliant on them!
                    Someone asked why we waited 8 months to publicise this. It has taken all that time for us to use Arbitration and for them to inexplicably dismiss it.
                    The Esta problem was our fault because we didn’t know about a little known rule. That was why we accepted that we would need to pay again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruise fan, Truro View Post
                      Annie, When this happened at LGW I had reasonably assumed that they had searched all flights.It never occurred to me that they would fail to do that especially when we were completely reliant on them!
                      Someone asked why we waited 8 months to publicise this. It has taken all that time for us to use Arbitration and for them to inexplicably dismiss it.
                      The Esta problem was our fault because we didn’t know about a little known rule. That was why we accepted that we would need to pay again.
                      Hi

This is what I say about the word ass-u-me. More options would have been available from LHR. I know not an easy transfer but not impossible.

Believe it or not, I have crisis managed family potential flight disasters remotely. Been there and done it and hopefully I will not have to do so again.

I did visit the USA ESTA website and they state that they will no longer issue ESTAs in real time - one to note for the future.

You lost at arbitration?? or the other party did not want to go to arbitration?? sorry I am confused.

Very disappointing all round.

Annie
                      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 25th August 2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Cruise fan, Truro
                        Cruise fan, Truro commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cruise.co.uk did go through arbitration but it was very difficult to find our way around it. It’s all done online and maybe the other party were more familiar with the process.

What is the "little known rule" in the ESTA?

Brian

Comment

• Cruise fan, Truro
                        Editing a comment
                        We were unaware that if you renew your passport you need a new Esta even if it is still in date. My husband had just renewed his passport.

Originally posted by Ingle, Warwickshire View Post
                      What is the "little known rule" in the ESTA?

Brian
                      I’m curious too, please share. Not something I have come across.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruise fan, Truro View Post
                        Who was the arbitration through - ADR ?

Comment

• Cruise fan, Truro
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, ADR. It costs £108 to use it and seems to be designed to be difficult !

First thing I would do is fire up Skyscanner.

​​​​​​Then look at the departure board for the flights to the US.

Comment

• Cruise fan, Truro
                          Editing a comment
                          I now realise that we could have done that but we were too stressed to think of it then. I also thought that Cruise uk being our booking agent would have had all flights covered.

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X