• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fred.Olsen Cruises …are they too expensive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

HI Geoff

Cunard is a NO! P&O - just my preference - no dinner suits please - this is 2022?? Personally I blame Downton Abbey Dressing for dinner - archaic

I don't know what the fixed overheads and marketing policy of each vessel are and I don't know what return on capital each line wants so I can't answer your question. From my days of compiling vessels operating budgets, I know smaller capacity vessels were adversely impacted by fixed costs.

However ultimately the consumer has the choice which is great.

Annie
    If we all liked the same thing then life would be very boring indeed!

When we went on family holidays with our children to Ibiza, getting ready to go out and eat meant getting showered and into clean shorts and tee shirts. I used to gape at the women who would go to town with their outfits (including heels!) thinking, well, it’s only EsCana. Once we discovered cruising, I found that we both enjoyed making a bit of effort in the evening, even if that meant just putting a nice top with my dress trousers or skirt and a bit of makeup for me and chinos with a short sleeve shirt for my hubby. We both found formal evenings rather fun and have really enjoyed putting on the Ritz on occasion. I live in jeans and a tee shirt all year round and was in a uniform of a purple tunic with black trousers for the past ten years at work so when the opportunity arises, you bet I enjoy getting dressed up! I may be 66 but I like to remind myself (and my hubby) that I still scrub up well. 😉

Take care. Helen💄💃🕺

Comment

By the way, yes, we think FO cruises are rather pricey, which is why we’ve never booked with them. You could say, “I’m a Celebrity, get me on there!” 🛳😁

Take care. Helen

Comment

Originally posted by gloandgeoff, Manchester View Post
        It is amazing how different people are .We absolutely love the dressing up in dinner suite and evening wear .Nothing whatsoever to do with Downton !Nothing I love more than being on a cruise and seeing my wife of of 50 years in evening wear.As you say it’s a choice
        I agree, I also love dressing up in a long dress, there are not many places left where you can do it!!

I've done 2 cruises on FO, I had a perfectly nice time on both, but they would not be in my top 5, having said that if they were going somewhere I wanted to go, or people were going that I wanted to go with then I would sail on them again.

I can't answer your question though, I have no idea why they are so expensive. But lots of people like them and they are booked up quickly

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
          Hi Jill
          I don’t think it’s looking for ‘cheap’ per see.
          I think your wording would have been better saying “If you want cheaper than FO go to P&O.

The question put by the OP was a simple one,,,,you answered it …..Yes.

But as the OP also asked for opinions….here’s mine.
          I sailed P&O last Oct/Nov.
          I sailed Celebrity in April.
          I sailed Fred Olsen this month.

I booked my next cruise on Tuesday,,,who was it with?

Based on my experience of my last x3 cruises P&O wins hands down.
          I can’t see the value in Celebrity prices at the moment and Fred Olsen prices more so.

Entertainment,comfort,food,service are pretty much the same with good points on them all,just slight variations.
          Food better on Celebrity,Entertainment better on P&O and Service better on FO,,,

JC
          I agree JC but we had £300 FCC from February and £300 off via Amex. 2 cards (split the payment) and it’s saved us £300 so it was a no brainier on this occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
            So those on here that know me would expect me to pipe up on this subject.

In a nutshell.... Yes, Fred Olsen are more expensive than P & O so if you are looking for cheap then go with the latter.

I'm happy to pay more for Fred cruises because they tick all my boxes whereas P & O doesn't.

It's simple really .... You pays your money and take your choice.
            What do you get extra for the big difference in price? Which boxes do they tick that P&O doesn't?

A recent Fjords on Fred Olsen was considerably more expensive than P&O. One on an "old" ship and one on one of the latest ships.

Comment

Personally I think the its the crew that make the diffrence with fred...... I have been on lots of diffrent cruise lines, thompson, cunard, celebrity, msc and of course p&o, I have given them all a fair shot i.e minimum of two on all but I have to say Fred beats them hands down and I think it is down to the crew, I personally wouldnt reccommend fred for its MDR offerings, but I think the cafe is a whole diffrent world especially on Bolette. Yes they are expensive and for the first time I dont have a cruise booked for November, ( remembrance cruise ) and only have my usual Balmoral xmas cruise to look forward to, however I track every day to see if something is running cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by ev'n'clive, HENGOED View Post
                Personally I think the its the crew that make the diffrence with fred...... I have been on lots of diffrent cruise lines, thompson, cunard, celebrity, msc and of course p&o, I have given them all a fair shot i.e minimum of two on all but I have to say Fred beats them hands down and I think it is down to the crew, I personally wouldnt reccommend fred for its MDR offerings, but I think the cafe is a whole diffrent world especially on Bolette. Yes they are expensive and for the first time I dont have a cruise booked for November, ( remembrance cruise ) and only have my usual Balmoral xmas cruise to look forward to, however I track every day to see if something is running cheap!
                Good for you and Jill. You have worked out what works for you.

Enjoy

Annie

Comment

Possibly shows the value of an unusual or interesting itinerary JC??

Annie
                  Hi Annie
                  Wot!! Have you ever been to Portree on a wet,wind,cold Sunday.
                  JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi Annie
                    Wot!! Have you ever been to Portree on a wet,wind,cold Sunday.
                    JC
                    Hi JC

I have only been in Portree when the sky was blue and the sun shining.

I have photgraphs (slides actually) of cloudless blue over the Black Cuillin hills. No they were NOT photo-shopped either.

Annie

PS I agree Sundays in the Hebrides not always the best itinerary planning.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post

What do you get extra for the big difference in price? Which boxes do they tick that P&O doesn't?

A recent Fjords on Fred Olsen was considerably more expensive than P&O. One on an "old" ship and one on one of the latest ships.
                      It's just personal choice John.

I prefer smaller ships that can sail into ports that the big ships can't.

I like some of Fred's itineraries; especially the long cruises.

I personally think that the Fred's crews are the friendliest on the ocean (I have tried lots of cruise lines so can compare)

I prefer the food, especially compared to P & O and the American style ships.

I like the interesting speakers that Fred have on board.

I could go on but it's all just a matter of personal choice. I'm happy to pay more if it's what I want.
                      Jill

Comment

Hi JC

I have only been in Portree when the sky was blue and the sun shining.

I have photgraphs (slides actually) of cloudless blue over the Black Cuillin hills. No they were NOT photo-shopped either.

Annie

PS I agree Sundays in the Hebrides not always the best itinerary planning.
                        I've only been to Portree when the sky was blue too DSCF3008.JPG
                        Jill

Comment

Hi Jill and Annie.
                          Dark looming clouds,cold and rain a couple of weeks ago.
                          Two mates from my club (ex RN divers) go to the Scottish isles a few times a year diving on the wrecks.

They we’re stopping just outside Portree when we was there unfortunately we were back on board when they turned up with their Rib boat and I missed them.

A good story,,,,,,they decided to launch their boat to make a video of the ship.
                          The Bridge crew wasn’t very happy as they circled the ship,,,so as they came around the aft end of the ship they put the thrusters on hitting the Rib pushing it away from the ship.

My mates got a copy of the video for me.

Btw,,he said that week was the worst diving he had ever done in Scotland due to the bad weather.

The ship off Portree….
                          4E1FDB61-99BC-4F94-9D90-284077C4B92F.jpeg
                          JC
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Having sailed with Fred Olsen once before, I received a letter from them this week offering selected cruises for singles. I was astonished by the prices and from my previous experience with them I do not think they can justify the cost. The cruise was ok but in no way special. The ship was somewhat old and my cabin was poorly located and somewhat strange.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X