• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are holidays a predominantly woman thing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are holidays a predominantly woman thing?

Whilst playing golf this morning, the four of us started talking about holidays and bucket lists. The consensus was that none of us were particularly bothered about holidays at all. One of our number will not go away for more than three or four days, and two of us said they only went to keep their wives happy, but otherwise wouldn't bother. We all agreed we had never had a bucket list, so again, is that mainly something women tend to have?

The reason woman like to go on holiday is because we don’t need to cook, clean or make a bed for a week or two.

Hubby does have a holiday bucket list…….Alaska, Panama Canal. I have loads. 😀

I book and arrange everything, fill in all the forms, book pre cruise hotels if needed………………….we I do everything he just packs his suitcase the night before and drive to Southampton or airport.

When I met him over 30 years ago he never really went on holiday as an child or adult but on the other hand I’d always went on holiday every year child and adult. Now he loves his holidays.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I know someone that won't go anywhere overnight.

Since retiring every day is a holiday, we sometimes live somewhere else for a while.

Maybe men that don't do holidays just play golf.
      ​​​

Comment

We both love our holidays and both of us have bucket lists. I do find though that the older I've become, shorter holidays and cruises are more appealing. I don't like being away for ages...... maybe that's a hangover from the pandemic?

We can't go anywhere at the moment, or rather OH can't for medical reasons, so content to stay put for the time being
        BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
          Whilst playing golf this morning, the four of us started talking about holidays and bucket lists. The consensus was that none of us were particularly bothered about holidays at all. One of our number will not go away for more than three or four days, and two of us said they only went to keep their wives happy, but otherwise wouldn't bother. We all agreed we had never had a bucket list, so again, is that mainly something women tend to have?
          Hi

My parents viewed a summer holiday as equally important if not more important than Christmas and budgeted accordingly.

I was always curious about seeing other places - I would even walk as a toddler over a hill to see what was there

I loved watching travel films and for many years content to just holiday in Italy but then I holidayed in Africa and my bucket list grew. India always fascinated me.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
            The reason woman like to go on holiday is because we don’t need to cook, clean or make a bed for a week or two.

Hubby does have a holiday bucket list…….Alaska, Panama Canal. I have loads. 😀

I book and arrange everything, fill in all the forms, book pre cruise hotels if needed………………….we I do everything he just packs his suitcase the night before and drive to Southampton or airport.

When I met him over 30 years ago he never really went on holiday as an child or adult but on the other hand I’d always went on holiday every year child and adult. Now he loves his holidays.
            Ditto, but I even pack my hubbys case

He said if he had to book and sort holidays out he wouldn't bother, although he does love going.

I live in hope of being surprised with a holiday to the Maldives, but don't think it will ever happen!!

Comment

My OH says that he has run out of places that he wants to go and so rarely wants to go away. I manage to get him away for a few days in the UK but I now do cruises with a friend.
              Jill

Comment

I seems I go against the trend here, as I have always chosen, researched, then promoted the idea of where in the world we have travelled to my wife.

I no longer have a bucket list, as I fulfilled that a few years ago, not that I have been everywhere in the world, but certainly everywhere I have had a passion for.

Anywhere I go now is just a bonus…………..Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

There does seem to be a trend that women lead the way regarding booking holidays, although Wilba says otherwise in his case. In our house it's not to escape household chores as we have always shared them, and I do all the cooking which I really don't enjoy. Having been on dozens of cruises all over the place, and many more hotel holidays, I always seem to come back feeling underwhelmed. Perhaps it does relate to childhood when we couldn't afford holidays, other than being dragged to Italy to visit my grandparents. I always found that very boring, and couldn't wait to get home. I guess I enjoy my life at home so much that I'm reluctant to go elsewhere other than to preserve marital harmony.

Comment

The one big continent I never made it to was Australasia. By air, even with a halfway house stop, the thought of was just too much for me.

To go all that way on a cruise ship for a few days here and there on shore always seemed a waste.

I always said that if I went it would be for a month, rent an aeroplane and fly myself to all places that I found interesting. The problem was, my ambitions were bigger than my bank balance, so it never happened.

Such is life…………..Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

They most definitely are not.

All our married life, we have both looked forward to our holidays and once we could afford to actually leave the UK for ''the Continent'', we planned our trips together instead of just staying at my parents holiday place.

We both worked darned hard [some may say a teacher's life was a long holiday interspersed with some work!] and our three weeks away was very important to us.

It still is although before Covid, we spent a lot more than three weeks away, once retired.

We're not so bothered where we go now, having had the privilege of living abroad and travelling the world a couple of times, as long as it's on a Cunard ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                        The one big continent I never made it to was Australasia. By air, even with a halfway house stop, the thought of was just too much for me.

To go all that way on a cruise ship for a few days here and there on shore always seemed a waste.

I always said that if I went it would be for a month, rent an aeroplane and fly myself to all places that I found interesting. The problem was, my ambitions were bigger than my bank balance, so it never happened.

Such is life…………..Wilba
                        We've been to Australia a few times and an island or two in the Pacific on land holidays, but never made it to New Zealand. Here's hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Such is life…………..Wilba
                          Australasia is still on my bucket list Wilba. I was booked to fly to Australia 3 years ago with friends but I injured my back and could barely move, yet alone get to the airport.

It was a massive disappointment but I haven't lost hope. One day I might bite the bullet and do a World cruise that covers Australia & New Zealand. I certainly wouldn't consider such a a long flight now.
                          Jill

Comment

One issue with the world cruise they are relatively poor on destination time there is a lot of ocean to get from place to place..

With the time it can be better to use air and sea with land breaks to join up the dots.

quick look

Dec 11 2023
                            Celebrity Millennium
                            Bombay to Bali.(B2B through Singapore) 24 n

4th JAn
                            Regatta 21n to Sidney

27th
                            land days in Sidney

4th Feb Celebrity Edge to Auckland 11n

then work out how to get back

Comment

OH hasn't wanted to go away for the past few years - I am a dedicated cruiser so have travelled all over the world,
                              sometimes solo, sometimes with a friend. I am happy to say I have completed my bucket list (with the exception
                              of Machu Picchu) having visited 6 continents (132 countries/islands in total). And I'd love to be able to do them all,
                              all over again.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X