• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is vaccination really going to plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't it be somewhat disingenuous of parents to complain about missing their holidays when it will be their children's education that would suffer from not extending term time?

And as per the choice of who gets the jab first...if my house was on fire I know who I'd want to turn up and believe me it isn't a bunch of academics.

Having worked with them at the Uni I'd be amazed if most would have the common sense to use an extinguisher..πŸ˜„

As my old boss said when I joined...brilliant educators but not an ounce of gumption between them.

Garf.
    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 24th January 2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Ha, parents are often a law unto themselves Garf.

No one is saying firefighters won't turn up if your house is on fire. Police will be on duty. Teachers are on duty too but not in the right place i.e. with their children, in a classroom, with face to face learning. Your old boss might have liked the misquoting of GBS

Those who can, teach, those who can't become lecturers!

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
        Just learned that 80+ people in Notts are getting 2 letters, one on a national basis which offers appointments all over the place, and another from NHS locally with a different booking system and more local venues. Is this what's happening nationally, or is it just happening in this area? Seems confusing.
        Not yet in my β€˜80s I had a call from my local surgery, 4 miles away, offering appointments for the vaccination at a surgery in a neighbouring town. I accepted one.

Several days later I received the central NHS letter (post appalling these last few weeks) inviting me to go on line and book an appointment at one of the major national vaccination centres, 25 to 70 miles away.

Some local initiatives are clearly ahead of the major national programme and good to see what is turning out to be a two pronged approach.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
          Not yet in my β€˜80s I had a call from my local surgery, 4 miles away, offering appointments for the vaccination at a surgery in a neighbouring town. I accepted one.

Several days later I received the central NHS letter (post appalling these last few weeks) inviting me to go on line and book an appointment at one of the major national vaccination centres, 25 to 70 miles away.

Some local initiatives are clearly ahead of the major national programme and good to see what is turning out to be a two pronged approach.
          I think this is where we've fallen behind. It's the local initiatives which seem to have been very slow off the mark, and as for surgeries giving out the jabs, I'm not holding my breath. Couldn't even get a flu jab at ours and ended up having to go to Boots for mine. This is probably why my friend was offered a jab 70 miles away which he refused, but couldn't get one locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            Ha, parents are often a law unto themselves Garf.

No one is saying firefighters won't turn up if your house is on fire. Police will be on duty. Teachers are on duty too but not in the right place i.e. with their children, in a classroom, with face to face learning. Your old boss might have liked the misquoting of GBS

Those who can, teach, those who can't become lecturers!
            I don't know the answer to this, and so it is a genuine question, as I am curious.

Weeks ago, when schools opened up again, there were lots of media stories of schools preparing for pupils' return, with films of teachers rearranging furniture, implementing social distancing measures, changing lesson plans and activities, and so on.

So now that schools are closed again, were these measures deemed to be inadequate?

​​​​​​

Comment

I have absolutely no idea.

I know teachers who were horrified at having to forgo the in classroom learning scenario and go online. Others were adamant it was the only way to go.

Vaccinate the teachers and then all will be more comfortable with face to face learning.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

I don't know the answer to this, and so it is a genuine question, as I am curious.

Weeks ago, when schools opened up again, there were lots of media stories of schools preparing for pupils' return, with films of teachers rearranging furniture, implementing social distancing measures, changing lesson plans and activities, and so on.

So now that schools are closed again, were these measures deemed to be inadequate?

​​​​​​

According to the report that goes to SAGE some schools have been very good but others have failed.

Was it Annie that pointed out it will be the staff rooms where teachers ae at most risk not the class rooms.

Comment

More good news today..another 490k jabs done and dusted.

1.3 million in 3 days..

Garf

Comment

Not one teacher I know, who is present in school, goes into the staffroom if it's not in their bubble.

Comment

vaccination is not a free pass until it is conformed it is effective at stopping infection and transmission, months away from that.
                      Close contact should still require isolation.

Last set of data from the schools before they closed for xmas.

On Wednesday 16 December, we estimate approximately 4.4% of teachers and school leaders and 5.9% of teaching assistants and other staff were absent for COVID-related reasons. This includes:
                      • 0.9% of teachers and school leaders and 1.1% of teaching assistants and other staff with a confirmed case of coronavirus.
                      • 0.4% of teachers and school leaders and 0.4% of teaching assistants and other staff with a suspected case of coronavirus.
                      • 2.1% of teachers and school leaders and 3.1% of teaching assistants and other staff self-isolating due to potential contact with a case of coronavirus inside the school.
                      • 1.1% of teachers and school leaders and 1.4% of teaching assistants and other staff self-isolating due to potential contact with a case of coronavirus outside the school.

3.9% of teachers and school leaders and 6.2% of teaching assistants and other staff were absent for other reasons.

Should hit most of the first two groups and some of the second group where the contact was a worker.

That should help reduce absence a but

Comment

More good news..a nasal spray that kills covid.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...le-summer.html

Garf

Comment

Whatever the arguments regarding vaccinating teachers, according to our local paper it is expected that the govt. will announce in the next few days that schools will definitely not reopen after Feb. half term, and possibly not until April or May.

Comment

there was quite a bit of news on nasal sprays last year around Sept then it went quiet

The Birmingham team were talking about it 2 months ago

Anti-COVID-19 nasal spray 'ready for use in humans' (birmingham.ac.uk)

Comment

Some more good news from a friend who volunteered for vaccination duty.
                              He finished his training today, St John’s have trained 3000 this weekend. 10k due by next weekend.

Apparently this has been in the pipeline for a while.
                              Well done to all who have volunteered.

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Hi Issy

I had also suggested the teachers move between classes as well. However, my 14yo grandson reminded me that the pupils change classes dependent on the subject. E.g. he may be in a class for English but not all of them will be studying Spanish - or perhaps only 15% of them will be studying Physics, or are in alternate classes for Maths (higher level or lower level).

We still learn from the young - just shows you how much we forget. As soon as he said it I was instantly transported back to Greenock High and the melee of all the pupils racing to their next class.

LMM
                                It’s been so long since I was at the big school like you I forgot. πŸ™ˆ I’ve read that it’s now been suggested that all the children repeat a year which IMO seems a good idea.
                                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X