• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is vaccination really going to plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Teething troubles were to be expected. Production challenges don't help. We don't all live in large cities.

However currently it is thought that annual covid vaccinations may be required.

Let us hope that someone works out what is best practice, dependent upon geography, and a blueprint for future mass immunisations emerges.

Annie
    Haven't we already got a blueprint for mass immunisation. The flu vaccine is rolled out every year.
    As long as there is the supply then as with the flu vaccine, companies can vaccinate all their workforce, relieving the strain on health services.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
      My thoughts...the other 2 emergency services should be vaccinated before teachers.

They're life savers and up holders of the law
      It shouldn't take much time and then maybe teachers.

Garf
      They certainly are important, to all of us, but they're not necessarily in confined situations, eg classrooms all the time and so not quite as vulnerable to those pesky little droplets as members of the teaching staff.

If shopkeepers go down with the virus, shops shut. If Police go down with the virus, lawlessness ensues [nothing new there then] If firefighters go down...I could go on.

With children back in school, parents who still have jobs will be able to get on with them without worrying how they can juggle home schooling and WFH if not in an actual place of work. Yes, ''essential workers'' children are in school but the rest?

We are creating an uneven playing field and just maybe, police and firefighters of the future, need their education, now.

I have read of a proposed initiative of vaccinating all teaching staff during the half term break..

Fingers crossed somebody with foresight and the authority to say ''go ahead'' gets on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Haven't we already got a blueprint for mass immunisation. The flu vaccine is rolled out every year.
        As long as there is the supply then as with the flu vaccine, companies can vaccinate all their workforce, relieving the strain on health services.
        Do we?? Possibly in RUK.

GPs in Scotland, from this year, could opt out of the program and many did.

What was put in place in some semi-rural areas was a shambles. Expecting pensioners with limited mobility to visit a football stadium in a town not easily accessible by public transport was an error - JMO.

Not everyone has their own transport.

On occasion, I do have to wonder if the decision makers live in the real world.

Annie

Comment

Teething troubles were to be expected. Production challenges don't help. We don't all live in large cities.

However currently it is thought that annual covid vaccinations may be required.

Let us hope that someone works out what is best practice, dependent upon geography, and a blueprint for future mass immunisations emerges.

Annie
          Your right Annie teething problems were to be expected after all this had to be up and running before they could even crawl. People need to be patient as we will all be offered the vaccine at some point. We don’t know if the vaccine is a cure all but personally I don’t think it is at the moment but hopefully in the future a long term vaccine irradiation will be found.

if we have to have a repeat dose next winter, which we will, the powers to be will have worked out an efficient strategy for administration. My thoughts are that we will receive the flu and covid vaccines at the same time.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Do we?? Possibly in RUK.

GPs in Scotland, from this year, could opt out of the program and many did.

What was put in place in some semi-rural areas was a shambles. Expecting pensioners with limited mobility to visit a football stadium in a town not easily accessible by public transport was an error - JMO.

Not everyone has their own transport.

On occasion, I do have to wonder if the decision makers live in the real world.

Annie
            The flu vaccine programme was to be taken from the Scottish GP’s from 2022 but covid made it happen sooner as they cannot provide proper social distancing protocols. The GP’s were invited to vaccinate the 60-64 age group but more declined than accepted putting even more pressure on the NHS community nursing vaccine clinics.

The decision makers definitely do not live in the real world they only think of how to do something fast and efficiently not on the logistics of how the normal person can get there. In my side of the city most if not all flu vaccine clinics were in the health centres but there were so many patients moaning cos they had to travel to their nearest health centre but their GP is based elsewhere, so no matter what they come up with it will not please everyone.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

The flu vaccine programme was to be taken from the Scottish GP’s from 2022 but covid made it happen sooner as they cannot provide proper social distancing protocols. The GP’s were invited to vaccinate the 60-64 age group but more declined than accepted putting even more pressure on the NHS community nursing vaccine clinics.

The decision makers definitely do not live in the real world they only think of how to do something fast and efficiently not on the logistics of how the normal person can get there. In my side of the city most if not all flu vaccine clinics were in the health centres but there were so many patients moaning cos they had to travel to their nearest health centre but their GP is based elsewhere, so no matter what they come up with it will not please everyone.
              If it happens, plans are afoot to use local vaccine hubs e.g. leisure/community centres as an addittion/replacement to St Mirren Park in Paisley.

How they expected a mobility challenged pensioner to travel easily by public transport from say Lochwinnoch to Paisley beggared belief. All they had to do was ask someone to test the route.

Fair Play - they listened.

A sister's mobility challenged FIL was vaccinated in a local church hall with very good accessibility features. That is one off the District Nurse list

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

They certainly are important, to all of us, but they're not necessarily in confined situations, eg classrooms all the time and so not quite as vulnerable to those pesky little droplets as members of the teaching staff.

If shopkeepers go down with the virus, shops shut. If Police go down with the virus, lawlessness ensues [nothing new there then] If firefighters go down...I could go on.

With children back in school, parents who still have jobs will be able to get on with them without worrying how they can juggle home schooling and WFH if not in an actual place of work. Yes, ''essential workers'' children are in school but the rest?

We are creating an uneven playing field and just maybe, police and firefighters of the future, need their education, now.

I have read of a proposed initiative of vaccinating all teaching staff during the half term break..

Fingers crossed somebody with foresight and the authority to say ''go ahead'' gets on with it.

Hi Mrs M
                I look at it from a simpletons point of view..teachers can carry on teaching online for a bit longer.
                That doesn't work for fire and police.

Garf.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

Hi Mrs M
                  I look at it from a simpletons point of view..teachers can carry on teaching online for a bit longer.
                  That doesn't work for fire and police.

Garf.
                  I see it from the children's POV.

I have no data on how many thousands of children who are suffering academically but I do know it's a horrific number.

What is not reported as much is the mental health problems which are arising from lack of social interaction.

These issues are too higher price to pay for a whole generation and they need to get back to school. Teachers must be vaccinated. Police and Firefighters, can have their turn when appropriate.

Comment

Other countries have set up remote learning for schools so why can’t the U.K.? The teachers could still go to school and do their remote learning from there. If the government insists on schools going back then why not have the teachers move from class to class instead of the kids...........I’m talking about secondary schools.

Uni lectures are mainly online so they could be remotely accessed.
                    Hi Issy

I had also suggested the teachers move between classes as well. However, my 14yo grandson reminded me that the pupils change classes dependent on the subject. E.g. he may be in a class for English but not all of them will be studying Spanish - or perhaps only 15% of them will be studying Physics, or are in alternate classes for Maths (higher level or lower level).

We still learn from the young - just shows you how much we forget. As soon as he said it I was instantly transported back to Greenock High and the melee of all the pupils racing to their next class.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Discuss - what would the ramifications be of pupils repeating a year?

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

LMM
                        Hi LMM

Or decreasing the holiday allowance for a year or two.
                        Surely if the teachers are so worried about the kids education they won't mind..
                        After all there won't be any school trips abroad for a while.
                        Garf
                        Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 24th January 2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

If we get some relief from vaccine roll out we can play kiddy catch up, only a week at Easter(If back by then) and knock a few weeks of the summer break.

if it looks like this will be a seasonal issue have the longer holiday in the winter.when they can have the biggest effect

The last report into SAGE(No.73) before Xmas on schools and education(TFC) said that a covid free household is 7 time more likely to have children(12-16) as their index case, they are twice as likely to pass it on, they are alos less likley to catch it if an adult brings it in.

That was before B.1.1.7 which has been a game changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

LMM
                            not everyone will be behind so do you hold them back , do you go for mixed age year groups, or where possible rank the progress and stream with the goal to support those that are behind more.

Comment

Carol was your mums vaccine at her GP’s? I think us, well ex for me, NHS nurses are more conscious of infection control, confidentiality and dignity then GP surgeries. I know when our GP’s used to give the flu vaccines they’d have mass vaccination clinics with long queues, exposing arm while in the queue, no closed doors and some woukd even have several patients in room at the same time! Definitely not the NHS way. Our GP’s are at the moment still independent of the NHS.
                              Yes it was in the local GP's surgery.

When she had the flu jab, they actually went to her home to do it ..............................................Caro l

Comment

I think when the term ''kiddy catchup'' comes into play, it shows just how little many know about the ramifications this lockdown is having on a whole generation of youngsters.

School is not just about the academics. Once social and mental issues hit the deck it's far more than ''missing playtime''!

I think the idea of staff moving whilst children stay put is doable for many subjects in the short term as long as timetable planning can cope. The sciences are a problem but with less children milling around in corridors, it's not impossible to work around...in the short term.

Holding back cohorts of school years? Unworkable as there will be many schools which have kept up their timetabling and whose students are pretty much up to scratch in most subjects. Work out the logistics of that fairly.

Working during school holidays. Any thoughts given to whether the parents would agree to ''their holidays'' being affected?

Get the children back where they belong during term time. In school. ASAP.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X