• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is vaccination really going to plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

    I tried to edit and couldn’t so I deleted and had another go.

    We are continually told to protect the NHS. I think protecting the future of the youngsters is just as important.

    There comes a point when prioritisation must take over and as far as I’m concerned, nothing beats the future and that means the children.

    Front line NHS face to face staff are amazing but so are many sectors of society in their own right. People will die and will continue to die but if many of my elderly friends can avoid the virus by avoiding ''people'', then so can thousands of others.
    Teachers, can’t if they want to be educators in the true sense of the word.

    Get the schools back to classroom learning and the only way to do that is vaccinate school staff. THEN continue with the various groups.
    I/we have had our life and for the last 40 years it’s been good, I agree with you sort out the future not the past, if I can make an analogy of Viking Sky, I said then and still say it, the young with their lives ahead should have been evacuated first.

    John

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

      The covid vaccine process is currently dose driven while there are supply issues.

      How many doses a site is getting determines how many can get booked in, you don't abandon the appointment system you enhance it to make use of any no show to use up the doses.

      I did not say one person could do one every 3 mins I said if you have the people power, 5 output chairs need feeding at 1 every three minutes, if the process takes longer you need more people doing it.



      Seems a bit of a waste to have the skilled limited resource hanging about while people do dressing activities.


      It can be done, places are doing it successfully.




      If some places are doing the conveyor belt vaccinations system then good for them but I wouldn’t like to work there. People are individuals not tins of beans.

      Between patients The vaccinator need to wash down their room and also the waiting room chairs to prevent cross infection so that also takes up time. People come in all shapes and sizes, healthy or frail, walking or wheelchair bound so some need help with dressing/undressing some don’t, some come with short sleeves others, especially the men, with long sleeved shirt and jumper not including jackets or coats however I would never ask a patient to go out of my room to redress themselves. Where is the dignity in that?

      of course it can be done if you don’t wash down your room, ask or answer any questions, expect the patient to strip and redress before/after entering/exiting the vaccinators room, and just treat everyone like they’re on a supermarket conveyor belt. Which all spell cross infection, confidentiality and a mistakes disaster.
      Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 23rd January 2021, 10:31 PM.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post


        The latest data has ICU/HDU getting filled by the 50-70 age group they are down the list for vaccinations.


        How does protecting teachers make schools safe.


        The point is schools aren't safe, but the likelihood is that kids are passing it on to teachers I'd have thought, so teachers need to be protected if schools are to reopen. Personally I'd prefer it if schools and colleges etc stayed shut for now.

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

          The point is schools aren't safe, but the likelihood is that kids are passing it on to teachers I'd have thought, so teachers need to be protected if schools are to reopen. Personally I'd prefer it if schools and colleges etc stayed shut for now.
          Other countries have set up remote learning for schools so why can’t the U.K.? The teachers could still go to school and do their remote learning from there. If the government insists on schools going back then why not have the teachers move from class to class instead of the kids...........I’m talking about secondary schools.

          Uni lectures are mainly online so they could be remotely accessed.
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

          Comment


            #50
            Just learned that 80+ people in Notts are getting 2 letters, one on a national basis which offers appointments all over the place, and another from NHS locally with a different booking system and more local venues. Is this what's happening nationally, or is it just happening in this area? Seems confusing.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

              The point is schools aren't safe, but the likelihood is that kids are passing it on to teachers I'd have thought, so teachers need to be protected if schools are to reopen. Personally I'd prefer it if schools and colleges etc stayed shut for now.
              or are kids are more likely to be spreading it amongst each other and taking it home than passing it to teachers.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

                or are kids are more likely to be spreading it amongst each other and taking it home than passing it to teachers.
                You quite obviously do not grasp the importance of getting the children back into the classroom.

                If staff are vaccinated it will ease worries of the teaching staff and their Unions. If it doesn't, then we might as well give up on education as we knew it and start a countrywide system similar to the Aussie School of the Air.
                Then, not to be too elegant about it, we are well and truly b.....ed.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

                  If some places are doing the conveyor belt vaccinations system then good for them but I wouldn’t like to work there. People are individuals not tins of beans.

                  Between patients The vaccinator need to wash down their room and also the waiting room chairs to prevent cross infection so that also takes up time. People come in all shapes and sizes, healthy or frail, walking or wheelchair bound so some need help with dressing/undressing some don’t, some come with short sleeves others, especially the men, with long sleeved shirt and jumper not including jackets or coats however I would never ask a patient to go out of my room to redress themselves. Where is the dignity in that?

                  of course it can be done if you don’t wash down your room, ask or answer any questions, expect the patient to strip and redress before/after entering/exiting the vaccinators room, and just treat everyone like they’re on a supermarket conveyor belt. Which all spell cross infection, confidentiality and a mistakes disaster.
                  It was definitely a conveyor belt when I took my mum. We had to sanitise our hands on entering, but they were getting through patients at a rate of knots, and no washing down in between. The door wasn't even shut, just jab and go.
                  Don't get me wrong they were all very kind and very patient, and the person in charge of the room where the patients went to sit, was making them laugh. I'm just glad she's been done, and I'm waiting patiently for my turn .................................................. ................Carol

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

                    or are kids are more likely to be spreading it amongst each other and taking it home than passing it to teachers.
                    The school I take the special needs children to on my school run is closed. The head and majority of the staff have the virus, and they haven't got enough staff left to teach. Special needs schools do not have to close, but the children spread it never the less.

                    I think anyone that is looking after someone else, should be prioritised whether it's nurses, teachers, care workers, police, shop workers etc. Without them, it really would be a sorry state of affairs! .................................................. ......Carol

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

                      The school I take the special needs children to on my school run is closed. The head and majority of the staff have the virus, and they haven't got enough staff left to teach. Special needs schools do not have to close, but the children spread it never the less.

                      I think anyone that is looking after someone else, should be prioritised whether it's nurses, teachers, care workers, police, shop workers etc. Without them, it really would be a sorry state of affairs! .................................................. ......Carol
                      Why miss of one of the biggest group parents?


                      Can't do every one at the same time, pick your priority criteria.

                      Government have prioritised saving lives and reducing admissions to hospitals, what would you put above that?


                      Comment


                        #56
                        Picking up wheezles, sneezles and diseezles is an unwelcome plus when being a parent.

                        Teachers might pick up the same but the difference being, they have the choice to say ''No, it's not a safe environment in which to work'' in this pandemic situation.

                        .Caring for children as a parent and educating children as a member of the teacher staff cannot be compared however much some think of teachers as babysitters.

                        Vaccinate the teaching staff, now.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          I was somewhat surprised to receive a text this morning from Guy's/St. Thomas trust. It was to invite me to make an appt. for a Covid jab.

                          Now although I was a patient of theirs from a young child until I moved to Hampshire 4 years ago, they did have my change of address.

                          The text gave me a number to call, which was unavailable. Likewise with the website- page not found!

                          I phoned their main number to ask if the text was a scam, which apparently it isn't. When I explained that I no longer live in London, they told me to forget the text and wait for a local appointment.

                          I would not have travelled to London anyway but was curious to know why I received a text inviting me to do so. I was told that because I was on their books, the system automatically text me.

                          How daft is that?

                          Jill

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Teething troubles were to be expected. Production challenges don't help. We don't all live in large cities.

                            However currently it is thought that annual covid vaccinations may be required.

                            Let us hope that someone works out what is best practice, dependent upon geography, and a blueprint for future mass immunisations emerges.

                            Annie

                            Comment


                              #59
                              My thoughts...the other 2 emergency services should be vaccinated before teachers.

                              They're life savers and up holders of the law
                              It shouldn't take much time and then maybe teachers.

                              The good news coming out today is that the Johnson and Johnson single dose vaccine is getting very close and may even be approved for emergency use in the US within the next couple of weeks.

                              We shouldn't be far behind.

                              We have an initial 30 million doses on order.

                              Let's go on the attack against this awful virus.

                              Bring it on.

                              Garf
                              Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 24th January 2021, 01:05 PM.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

                                It was definitely a conveyor belt when I took my mum. We had to sanitise our hands on entering, but they were getting through patients at a rate of knots, and no washing down in between. The door wasn't even shut, just jab and go.
                                Don't get me wrong they were all very kind and very patient, and the person in charge of the room where the patients went to sit, was making them laugh. I'm just glad she's been done, and I'm waiting patiently for my turn .................................................. ................Carol
                                Carol was your mums vaccine at her GP’s? I think us, well ex for me, NHS nurses are more conscious of infection control, confidentiality and dignity then GP surgeries. I know when our GP’s used to give the flu vaccines they’d have mass vaccination clinics with long queues, exposing arm while in the queue, no closed doors and some woukd even have several patients in room at the same time! Definitely not the NHS way. Our GP’s are at the moment still independent of the NHS.
                                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X