• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is vaccination really going to plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband got a call yesterday for an appointment on Tuesday at Castle hill hospital where the very first covid patient was treated It is about a 30 min drive from where we live. No problem will go anywhere anytime. The person who rang him was working from home with 2 toddlers to look after so it was a bit noisy!

Later in the day a text came from our village surgery asking home to book an appointment at another hospital which isslightly closer and where most of our village have been going.
    We are spoilt for choice here in Yorkshire!

So good we are getting kess vaccine best week to slow it down

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
      It would appear it’s erratic, including Scotland. My 82 year old mother in law received hers yesterday. She was advised there were only 100 doses available - no more. Ruth Davidson asked our FM about supply and wastage yesterday but it’s just “bluff and bluster” from her. There’s clearly an issue in the supply chain. I hope it is resolved soon as the Northern Ireland situation (potential lockdown to 5 March) is very worrying. The sooner the over 80’s / 70’s get vaccinated, the better. It’s just going to take time due to the vast numbers involved
      My daughter is a GP receptionist and is working overtime tomorrow for her surgery’s first covid vaccine clinic. They also only have 100 doses but they have had them since last week but her practice manager didn’t phone the patients till two days ago! One of the GP’s has stated that if there are any unused vaccines left he will take them to the housebound when the clinic finishes at lunchtime.

I’ve mentioned before that I was a vaccinator for the flu vaccine clinics last year. The wastage by some of the staff was quite high. At the end of the clinic they were disposing the vaccines in the sharp boxes until I mentioned that we just put them in a vaccine fridge to be used first at next clinic. The patient turnout in the over 65’s was approx 80% but only about 50% in the 60-64 age group.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

A sister received her first vaccination on Monday evening in a GGHB hospital.

The bookings that day were for NHS and Social Care staff only - no general public.

There were 64 DNAs by 1800.

It is reported that there is a reluctance by some Social Care staff to be vaccinated.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by cruisewidower, pontefract View Post

Hi Peter...We had our 1st Pfizer vaccination on 23/12/20 and just missed out on our follow up 21 days later by about 3 days, much to our disappointment. Surely it's not beyond the skill level of some NHS management person to organise a "Standby list" of contacts in case of cancellations whereby a phone call. would produce a replacement patient. We are ready and able to jump in the car and turn up at any vaccination centre within a 1 hour ride...At around £25/dose for Pfizer the economics alone suggest viability. Regards Stan .
          Stan not everyone has a car nor willing to travel.

Prior to a patient attending for their vaccine there has to be an appointment system so there can be good social distancing. So for example, it’s one patient every 10 or 15 mins per vaccinator, the 10.15 patient doesn’t turn up then how can you phone someone to attend the clinic within that, now less than 15 min slot, as you have got to give the patient 5-10 mins before phoning someone else, just incase they are running late. The only way the staff will know how many vaccines that are left will be at the end of the clinic so who would do the vaccinations as the clinic will be closed? Remember in some of the vaccine centres the nurses are working a 13 hour shift would you expect them to stay for another 3 or 4 hours just to vaccinate the standby list? I for one wouldn’t have stayed on duty. NHS staff have a home life and families to return to and they are not robots who don’t need downtime and sleep.

It’s not the NHS ‘skill’ that’s wasting the vaccines it’s the patients who don’t bother to turn up nor phone to cancel.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

The bookings that day were for NHS and Social Care staff only - no general public.

It is reported that there is a reluctance by some Social Care staff to be vaccinated.

Annie
            A few of my old colleagues received their first vaccine then too. The NHS expected 5000 NHS and care staff to attend so 64 FTA’s is not very high, approx just over 1%. I know at previous vaccine clinics in GRI the vaccinators went round the hospital to offer the on duty staff the vaccine so hopefully this happened on Monday.

Comment

Annie

Pleased to report I had my first Pfizer vaccination earlier this evening. Second one not being given until April.

Superb organisation at the local centre set up by my doctor’s practice. Arrived at 19.15, back in the car at 19.35 and that included the fifteen minute wait time in the recovery area. I was very impressed with the whole set up, maybe I was just lucky?

Comment

Wedding with 400 guests was held in Covid TEST CENTRE

Saved time I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

Pleased to report I had my first Pfizer vaccination earlier this evening. Second one not being given until April.

Superb organisation at the local centre set up by my doctor’s practice. Arrived at 19.15, back in the car at 19.35 and that included the fifteen minute wait time in the recovery area. I was very impressed with the whole set up, maybe I was just lucky?
                  It would appear from anecdotal evidence that smaller centres are organised better??

Well done.

Annie

Comment

Seems things are really going wrong in Notts. We have just heard that vaccination of the over 75s has been "paused" because so few over 80s have received theirs. Only 43% apparently, and care homes just as bad. One of my golf partners, 78, has had his letter, but has been told he can't have his jab. I'd love to know who is responsible for this shambles.

Comment

Delaying second Pfizer doses to give more people their first is "difficult to justify", says BMA.

Comment

Is this not kind of moot as both Pfizer and Astraveneca have production issues??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                          Seems things are really going wrong in Notts. We have just heard that vaccination of the over 75s has been "paused" because so few over 80s have received theirs. Only 43% apparently, and care homes just as bad. One of my golf partners, 78, has had his letter, but has been told he can't have his jab. I'd love to know who is responsible for this shambles.
                          Can't blame the student population this time

In Scotland where we we have messed up the care homes, over 95% of residents have received their 1st vaccination. More concerning is that only 77% of care home staff have. It is reported that many staff are declining the vaccination.

Annie

Comment

Is this not kind of moot as both Pfizer and Astraveneca have production issues??

Annie
                            Isn't this more important, if there is evidence that the gap should be halved then production issues could cause a bigger issue. Will the vaccines be available for all those requiring the 2nd dose earlier? Will it delay all those requiring a 1st dose?

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

Isn't this more important, if there is evidence that the gap should be halved then production issues could cause a bigger issue. Will the vaccines be available for all those requiring the 2nd dose earlier? Will it delay all those requiring a 1st dose?
                              More data from Israel:

At Rambam Health Centre in Israel - 91% of 1800 nurses and doctors showed a major presence of antibodies 21 days after the 1st shot.

Source: FT article (behind paywall).

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

Stan not everyone has a car nor willing to travel.

Prior to a patient attending for their vaccine there has to be an appointment system so there can be good social distancing. So for example, it’s one patient every 10 or 15 mins per vaccinator, the 10.15 patient doesn’t turn up then how can you phone someone to attend the clinic within that, now less than 15 min slot, as you have got to give the patient 5-10 mins before phoning someone else, just incase they are running late. The only way the staff will know how many vaccines that are left will be at the end of the clinic so who would do the vaccinations as the clinic will be closed? Remember in some of the vaccine centres the nurses are working a 13 hour shift would you expect them to stay for another 3 or 4 hours just to vaccinate the standby list? I for one wouldn’t have stayed on duty. NHS staff have a home life and families to return to and they are not robots who don’t need downtime and sleep.

It’s not the NHS ‘skill’ that’s wasting the vaccines it’s the patients who don’t bother to turn up nor phone to cancel.
                                Hi Issy...I must admit that I admire your maths theory, I had not thought of it in that light, but some places have a reserve system so it must be possible. We may be unusual in the fact that we could (and would be willing to park outside the vaccination centre a full day if necessary(armed with flask and food of course), if it increased our chances and saved wasted vaccines.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X