• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ending of an old girl !! The SS Nevasa.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ending of an old girl !! The SS Nevasa.

Here is an old photo of the SS Uganda being towed away by the Falmouth tugs she was laid up in the Fal river after the Falkland's war, after her time as a PO passenger ship she then did school cruises [alongside the old Nevasa] before taking troops out to the Falklands, I believe she is scrapped now. if you click on the photo it will become larger.
    SS Uganda leaving the Fal river
    Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 28th February 2020, 09:28 AM.
    sigpic

Sorry I put the SS Nevassa in the tiltle it is the Uganda . CG
    sigpic

Comment

Had a two week trip on the SS Uganda in 1970 from Greenock to Madeira and the Azores and Lisbon on the way home.

The BoB was quite exciting as the ship had no stabilisers and corkscrewed through the waves. I was the only person in our group (and probably the ship) that wasn't sick. I did come close as everyone was forced to eat and drink in the cafeteria regardless of how they felt. I was enjoying my curry which was eaten straight out of trays (no crockery) that had indentations. A young rather green looking boy sitting opposite me decided to have a right good chunder into his tray. That was the end of my lunch that day.

Otherwise, it was a really good experience and was my second "school cruise". The first was on the SS Dunera in 1965 to the Fjords.

Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
        Had a two week trip on the SS Uganda in 1970 from Greenock to Madeira and the Azores and Lisbon on the way home.

The BoB was quite exciting as the ship had no stabilisers and corkscrewed through the waves. I was the only person in our group (and probably the ship) that wasn't sick. I did come close as everyone was forced to eat and drink in the cafeteria regardless of how they felt. I was enjoying my curry which was eaten straight out of trays (no crockery) that had indentations. A young rather green looking boy sitting opposite me decided to have a right good chunder into his tray. That was the end of my lunch that day.

Otherwise, it was a really good experience and was my second "school cruise". The first was on the SS Dunera in 1965 to the Fjords.

Stewart
        BigMac I wanted to go on USS Uganda when I was in first year approx 1969, my parents said yes to the, I think, £35 cost but none of my friends parents allowed them so I didn’t go. 😢 I never gave up hope of cruising so in 2002 I managed to go on my first cruise and haven’t stopped since but still wish I’d went on the USS Uganda.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

It cost £50 for two weeks, including the transport to Greenock.

The SS Dunera was £35 for two weeks.

That was it until 2007 when my wife and I went on a QE2 cruise to Venice and back. We've done another couple of dozen since then!

Stewart

Comment

Being brought up in Greenock I remember them well lying at anchor at the tail of the bank (central belt Scots on the Clyde know this term).

Bill
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/okwd9apbxzcvxmq/maid%20of%20the%20loch.jpg?dl=0

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Went on Uganda in 1968 & 69 to the Med and the Baltic, brilliant cruises and great fun. I am sure they were the reason I love cruising so much now. Have done similar cruises to those and it is good to see the difference in ports over 50 years!!

Comment

Hi Mike , we see a lot of the old Passenger and cargo boats end their days down here, they are laid up in the river Fal then when they can't be sold or used they tow them away to be scrapped, sad ending for these shipps along with great memories.
                sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X