• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The www.CRUISE.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Payment before Medical treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private hospitals in the UK also ask for credit card details before admission or appointments. We are so lucky with the NHS.

For treatment abroad, it seems as if a charge card eg Amex is a better card to have as back up rather then a debit card with credit limits.

Comment

Our NHS hospital has an extremely busy overseas team. They pursue payment for non emergency care and if that's unsuccessful, they claim from the overseas government. I don't know the percentages of success but I know they are hard working.
      BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I hope I can write this without the numerous pop ups that I encountered on my previous post. I gave up when the message was that it could not be posted. I was surprised to see it actually appeared on this thread.

Our other experience with travel insurance was when husband had a heart attack in China. I was able to phone our insurance company from the ship and again from the hospital. All costs were billed to our insurance and we didn’t have to pay anything. Several months later we received a statement of costs and payments made by the insurance and were astounded to see that one injection on the ship cost $500US. The ship's bill included items like plasters, cotton balls and the phone call to the insurance as well as the ambulance to the hospital. We pay an annual premium for travel insurance and doubt if we will live long enough for our premiums to pay back the benefit we received.

Thank goodness, no pop ups this time.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
          I hope I can write this without the numerous pop ups that I encountered on my previous post. I gave up when the message was that it could not be posted. I was surprised to see it actually appeared on this thread.

Our other experience with travel insurance was when husband had a heart attack in China. I was able to phone our insurance company from the ship and again from the hospital. All costs were billed to our insurance and we didn’t have to pay anything. Several months later we received a statement of costs and payments made by the insurance and were astounded to see that one injection on the ship cost $500US. The ship's bill included items like plasters, cotton balls and the phone call to the insurance as well as the ambulance to the hospital. We pay an annual premium for travel insurance and doubt if we will live long enough for our premiums to pay back the benefit we received.

Thank goodness, no pop ups this time.
          I think that the ship's bills and their extent must depend on the cruise line. My last cruise was with Seabourn and the Doctor's on board consultation, the Nurse's night-time visit and a taxi to and from the Consultant ashore were far less than I expected. There was no charge for daily follow-up checks with the Doctor. .....Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post

I think that the ship's bills and their extent must depend on the cruise line. My last cruise was with Seabourn and the Doctor's on board consultation, the Nurse's night-time visit and a taxi to and from the Consultant ashore were far less than I expected. There was no charge for daily follow-up checks with the Doctor. .....Neil
            I’m sure you are right Neil. The experience I mentioned was with HAL. I had occasion to visit the medical centre on a. Celebrity ship when I slipped and cut my head. Completely my own fault for not putting the light on to go to the bathroom. I was treated at no cost.

Comment

I thank my lucky stars that I live and work here and that we have the NHS to rely on. I am passionate about the NHS and get really annoyed with people who abuse it as they don’t realise what life would be like for them in other countries. If I had experienced my renal failure in America 25 years ago I would probably have ended up bankrupt. The NHS has a very hard job recovering the cost of treating “health tourists”. As Wythenshawe hospital is very close to Manchester airport we’ve had more than a few people from other countries arrive at our A&E who “hadn’t realised they were ill”🤥 . Ahem! Yes, they did receive treatment.

Take care, Helen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X