• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cruise Connections : Glasgow to Southampton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Connections : Glasgow to Southampton

Has anyone used this coach service recently? If so, we are interested to hear about your experience as we are considering using this method of travel later in the year.

We used Eavesway Coaches from Glasgow to Southampton last year. The pick up was 3.30 am and the coach was clean and comfortable. Having taken my car on previous trips we decided to try the coach but it wasn't for us. Im 6ft 4ins and the leg room was OK but could have been better. The stops on the journey South I felt were far too long as we arrived at Southampton around 2.00pm and the queue to board was outside the terminal and took ages .We hadn't time to explore the ship on boarding as we had to go straight to the lifeboat drill. The return journey was delayed by the cruise company until 10.30 as one couple didn't appear and the driver wasn't allowed to leave until they were sure that the weren't still on board. We headed North missing out a stop so we could arrive in Glasgow at 7.pm as scheduled. So this year I will drive to Southampton and stay overnight in a hotel so we can board before the rush starts. This is our choice and others will differ so its really up to you !

Comment

Originally posted by homer, aberdeen View Post
      We used Eavesway Coaches from Glasgow to Southampton last year. The pick up was 3.30 am and the coach was clean and comfortable. Having taken my car on previous trips we decided to try the coach but it wasn't for us. Im 6ft 4ins and the leg room was OK but could have been better. The stops on the journey South I felt were far too long as we arrived at Southampton around 2.00pm and the queue to board was outside the terminal and took ages .We hadn't time to explore the ship on boarding as we had to go straight to the lifeboat drill. The return journey was delayed by the cruise company until 10.30 as one couple didn't appear and the driver wasn't allowed to leave until they were sure that the weren't still on board. We headed North missing out a stop so we could arrive in Glasgow at 7.pm as scheduled. So this year I will drive to Southampton and stay overnight in a hotel so we can board before the rush starts. This is our choice and others will differ so its really up to you !
      Thank you for that Homer.

Comment

Have you considered flying from Glasgow, its a long drive or a very long coach journey.
        We use the coach from north Wales about 6 hours , but we talked with one couple who flew from Glasgow and they were saying they would be home in a couple of hours.It may be worth a look...Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

We've travelled Glasgow to Soton 10 times and in a few weeks it will be the 11th.

We've done it just about every possible way.

Flown using FlymayBe. Okay, but baggage restrictions and they are often delayed and sometimes cancel.
          By car and stayed at Hilton. Not bad, but the return journey seems to last forever.
          By train all the way. Quite a long journey, changing at B'ham.
          Train to London and stay overnight, then tube and train to Soton. Awkward, too much to carry around.
          .....and the winner is:
          Sleeper train to Euston. Get freshened up in the 1st Class lounge and collected by Smithsforairprts.. Return with Smiths and get a midday train which takes only 4.5 hours.

It's a little more expensive, but we consider it part of the holiday. They serve good champagne and a good cheeseboard on the train for supper.

Book well in advance for some cracking deals.

Oh, meant to mention, never even considered the bus, so I can't make a comparison.

Have fun whatever you do.

Stewart

Comment

I fly from Edinburgh to Southampton and send baggage via the baggage handling company whorexcellent. Sitting on a coach would take days to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
              Have you considered flying from Glasgow, its a long drive or a very long coach journey.
              We use the coach from north Wales about 6 hours , but we talked with one couple who flew from Glasgow and they were saying they would be home in a couple of hours.It may be worth a look...Taffy
              We normally do Taffy, but we were just considering alternatives. Cheers

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X