• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Curious.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Curious.

Hi All, My Husband has a meeting with his heart consultant on Friday. Its 10 years since his heart attack and he gets a annual check up, Which thankfully always show him to be fit and healthy, All things considered. However he has had a letter today saying the consultant thinks he would benefit from a pacemaker being fitted. I know nothing can happen as yet, But he is wondering what it could mean to his travel plans and more important, Insurance, Have any of you any info on this? TIA, Jan.

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
    Hi All, My Husband has a meeting with his heart consultant on Friday. Its 10 years since his heart attack and he gets a annual check up, Which thankfully always show him to be fit and healthy, All things considered. However he has had a letter today saying the consultant thinks he would benefit from a pacemaker being fitted. I know nothing can happen as yet, But he is wondering what it could mean to his travel plans and more important, Insurance, Have any of you any info on this? TIA, Jan.
    Jan

Cannot answer your questions specifically, just to say my 82 year old brother has had a pacemaker fitted for a number of years now, a few years ago he had it replaced with newer model. It has made a hell on a difference to his life he also goes to the gymn once a week and is feeling fitter now than he has done for years.

As for travelling he goes abroad every year with his family for his holidays so I don't think it has interfered with his travel plans, don't know re his insurance.

I also have an older brother who is 87, he had a 4 way heart bypass operation prior to my other brother having his Pacemaker fitted and he also travels abroad no problem. He even had a hip replacement last year.

I am the baby of the family at 77, I had a heart scare a few years ago, turned out to be gall stones. 😄
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 30th August 2017, 11:56 AM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

A sister's FIL had a pacemaker fitted several years ago. He is an occasional traveller and his travel insurance was adversely impacted. He had not suffered any heart conditions prior to that event.

Annie

Comment

Jan,
        My wife has a pacemaker fitted and we still travel abroad, it made none or very little difference to insurance. When going through airport or ships security she just mentions that she has a pacemaker and shows her card so that she doesn't go through the Xray machine

Comment

Difficult to say how Insurers will react. They don't all seem to take the same view of these things. My wife has a long standing back problem, and our Insurers are happy to continue cover at no extra cost as she hasn't had any treatment for some time. If your present Insurers make a fuss, you may have to shop around, but I'm sure you'll get fixed up. After all, fitting a pacemaker is intended to prevent possible problems before they arise. Good luck with the op. and your future travel plans.

Comment

My wife has just had a hysterectomy and our annual insurance company has cancelled our insurance for a year to see if there are any problems with the operation, they'll reconsider it then. Looking round for an alternative but those that will insure her won't cover, USA, Canada, Bermuda, Mexico, Hong Kong etc as medical treatment is too expensive there which is a joke as we had £10,000,000 of cover and nothing could cost that, could it?

Comment

Thankyou for your replies, We will have to wait and see what the experts say on Friday, Denis says we will just have to have a think about things and cross any bridges then. Jan.

Comment

I would suggest take the consultants advice. If he doesn't he might not have to worry about travel plans and insurance, he might not be well enough to travel anywhere.

Comment

I,m 99% sure he will opt to have it put in John, Think he was just curious as to how much insurance he would get stung for, He has a decent policy now, So will start with them and see what happens, Jan.

Comment

Please don't take this the wrong way but sitting here reading all the things that are wrong with you all and here I am never been ill in my life, maybe out of condition but 100% fit, I had to go to the Doc,s for a ear infection and he gave me hell as not been for 16yrs. So he gave me the full works 9 blood samples all came back clear, blood pressure and heart all perfect, please don't reply I'm lucky I know that and I thank my God every day and don't say there is still time I know also. Good health to you all

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X