• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewing travel insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post
    We have free annual insurance with the bank with a reasonable premium to cover medical conditions. We suspended it last year as we had nothing booked but have now reinstated it at the same price. We are fully covered for our cruise in February but will have to take out additional cover for World cruise in 2023 as the bank won't extent the number of nights. I believe We will be able to buy an add on from certain insurance companies. Will have a look nearer the time before we pay the final balance
    Every policy I have seen has the clause must start and end in the UK within the insured period.

Chances are there will be no cover at all with that bank insurance.(if you think you can just add on to the days they do cover which is how it reads)

IF it does not comply with the insurance you may have no cancelation cover so are vulnerable to changes of medical conditions until you get cover.

Comment

We have free annual insurance with the bank with a reasonable premium to cover medical conditions. We suspended it last year as we had nothing booked but have now reinstated it at the same price. We are fully covered for our cruise in February but will have to take out additional cover for World cruise in 2023 as the bank won't extent the number of nights. I believe We will be able to buy an add on from certain insurance companies. Will have a look nearer the time before we pay the final balance
      I always upgraded my annual travel insurance to cover my longer trips. It was a small up charge.

This year the bank has written to advise the upgrade will not be automatically granted.

Not an issue currently.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Every policy I have seen has the clause must start and end in the UK within the insured period.

Chances are there will be no cover at all with that bank insurance.(if you think you can just add on to the days they do cover which is how it reads)

IF it does not comply with the insurance you may have no cancelation cover so are vulnerable to changes of medical conditions until you get cover.
        Extremely good point TD.
        We have one of the most comprehensive policies on the market but the travel has to begin and end in the UK. Our trip allowance is 90 days and we can purchase extensions but neither will be needed in the near [or probably far] future.

Comment

Travel insurance is not so easy in Spain - there is a very limited choice of insurers, and you can't take advantage of the myriad of companies in the UK, if you are not resident there.
          Spanish insurers offer much less cover than UK ones so I've had to use one of the UK companies that have a branch over here - and which are underwritten by Lloyds of London. I've always had an annual policy as I used to do 2 cruises a year and for my last renewal - pre-covid - I paid £289 for the basics. To cover health issues they wanted £690. I left it until nearer the cruise date and that reduced to just under £500 extra for the health cover - which I was stuck with. However, when it came to renewal, the basic cost was similar, but 'they' would not cover me healthwise at any price. So I am now grounded.

Comment

We’ve used Direct Line for years but the premiums are rather high thanks to my pre-existing conditions. One young lady got me so annoyed with her ignorance of my medical condition we nearly cancelled our policy with them. Fortunately her supervisor realised the mistake and was able to confirm that I am able to be insured.

Take care. Helen

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Our cruise does start and end in the UK

Comment

Our cruise does start and end in the UK
                You said it was longer than the trip period the policy covers so I suspect it won't have any cover under the policy.

I think you need to leave and return to the UK within that limit to have the cover, including any pre departure cover like cancellation.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X