• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof of insurance..... you will need it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    There are a couple of things holding us back on venturing further afield. 1. The extra testing and 2. The insurance.
    I have cruise cover, I have the extended extra cruise cover (missed ports etc). We have coronavirus cover but where I think it gets a bit grey is corona cover is only valid if you are not travelling against FCO advice. How does this fit with Amber countries? I am not at all sure.
    Hi Bradbury

Head over to YouTube - interesting Vlog - My Princess Seacation AKA Boring.

The title made me smile

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
      As we have used ‘Bank Insurance’ for many years, our policy number is the long 16 digit number on our debit card which I refuse to input on the pre cruise online information.

What I have inputted on to every cruise line info is the name of the bank and then a row of Mickey Mouse numbers to appease the system.as I don't wish for every Tom, Dick & Harry to know my bank details.

Maybe some legal eagle could explain what the hell is has to do with a cruise line whether we are insured or not.

I can understand cruiselines demanding to see Covid Cover, but should you test positive they kick you off the ship and leave folk to their own devices as to repatriation………….Wilba

For Barclays travel pack through an Aviva policy it looks like it is the same number (70FQ31) for everyone that is insured through the scheme it has been on the main policy book.

That's what you get on your proof of cover letter to use as the policy number

The previous version "Additions active" was 70FQ9

The account No./personal details are for internal use, last time we called they just asked for name & postcode match up to the account..

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

For Barclays travel pack through an Aviva policy it looks like it is the same number (70FQ31) for everyone that is insured through the scheme it has been on the main policy book.

That's what you get on your proof of cover letter to use as the policy number

The previous version "Additions active" was 70FQ9

The account No./personal details are for internal use, last time we called they just asked for name & postcode match up to the account..

That does not answer my question.

“What the hell as it got to do with a cruiseline as to whether we are insured or not?”

You stated in 25 years of cruising you had not needed to show evidence of proof of insurance. I can double that figure, and some more, near 65 years of cruising, so why the need now?

I see (travel) insurance to cover any costs I incur, i.e. I pay out then recover the cost later from insurance, should I choose to have any in the first place………….Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

“What the hell as it got to do with a cruiseline as to whether we are insured or not?”

You stated in 25 years of cruising you had not needed to show evidence of proof of insurance. I can double that figure, and some more, near 65 years of cruising, so why the need now?

I see (travel) insurance to cover any costs I incur, i.e. I pay out then recover the cost later from insurance, should I choose to have any in the first place………….Wilba
          Their ship - their rules I suppose (as in it's my ball!).

Don't like their rules you take YOUR ball elsewhere.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We have completed a few round Britain cruises on QE and QV. I know Cunard isn't noted for it's younger aged passengers but these cruises had a higher age profile than normal and so theoretically, a greater chance of some sort of medical problem. I know for a fact some passengers skipped insurance as they were 'round Britain'.
            Funnily enough, that does not stop them from getting ill and although they can be air/life boat lifted off the ship or disembarked in port, that would not stop them racking up a large medical center bill.

Maybe [ and I'm talking Cunard here as it's the only line we cruise with] the company is either looking out for their passengers or, is saving company time chasing bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Their ship - their rules I suppose (as in it's my ball!).

Don't like their rules you take YOUR ball elsewhere.

LMM
              ‘Morning LMM,

I’m sure your words have been echoed times over by many reading this thread, but the cynic in me thinks it far more sinister reasoning, little more than a face saving ploy.

If someone is kicked off a ship for testing positive who has full insurance cover, once the dust has settled and the punter has been reimbursed for repatriation, they are more likely to rebook with their beloved cruiseline at some point in the future.

On the other hand, the punter booted off with little or no insurance to cover any costs will likely hate that particular cruiseline forever…………Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

We have completed a few round Britain cruises on QE and QV. I know Cunard isn't noted for it's younger aged passengers but these cruises had a higher age profile than normal and so theoretically, a greater chance of some sort of medical problem. I know for a fact some passengers skipped insurance as they were 'round Britain'.
                Funnily enough, that does not stop them from getting ill and although they can be air/life boat lifted off the ship or disembarked in port, that would not stop them racking up a large medical center bill.

Maybe [ and I'm talking Cunard here as it's the only line we cruise with] the company is either looking out for their passengers or, is saving company time chasing bills.
                ‘Morning Mrs M,

Your post only emphasises my argument. The age demographic of most cruisers is such that pre existing and age related medical conditions have been with us since cruising began and never the need of proof of insurance.

Why should a positive Covid test result in a MediVac helicopter ride. Hardly likely me thinks. More the truth they would be quarantined until the next port then given the golden boot…………Wilba

Wilba

Comment

‘Morning Mrs M,

Your post only emphasises my argument. The age demographic of most cruisers is such that pre existing and age related medical conditions have been with us since cruising began and never the need of proof of insurance.

Why should a positive Covid test result in a MediVac helicopter ride. Hardly likely me thinks. More the truth they would be quarantined until the next port then given the golden boot…………Wilba

Morning Sir

My comment was to travel insurance and wasn't Covid specific.

I met passengers who wouldn't have got insurance at a rate they could afford so didn't bother and took their chances. I can only imagine these are the passengers the 'new rules' are designed to weed out. Get insured or don't travel.

On one of our world trips [segments, not the whole shebang] one delightful couple at our table paid five figures for their insurance. Admittedly that was for 112 days but eye-watering nevertheless and even factoring it down to a fortnight cruise, that's still beyond many.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Morning Sir

My comment was to travel insurance and wasn't Covid specific.

I met passengers who wouldn't have got insurance at a rate they could afford so didn't bother and took their chances. I can only imagine these are the passengers the 'new rules' are designed to weed out. Get insured or don't travel.

On one of our world trips [segments, not the whole shebang] one delightful couple at our table paid five figures for their insurance. Admittedly that was for 112 days but eye-watering nevertheless and even factoring it down to a fortnight cruise, that's still beyond many.
                    Mmmm! After all these years of ‘turning a blind eye’ as to the validity of travel insurance, or even the existence of it by some, I find it hard to believe that the cruiselines suddenly want to ‘weed out’ those that don’t comply at a time when they are in desperate need to rekindle peoples interest in cruising.

I think the term is, “Shooting oneself in the foot”...........Wilba
                    Wilba

Comment

Mmmm! After all these years of ‘turning a blind eye’ as to the validity of travel insurance, or even the existence of it by some, I find it hard to believe that the cruiselines suddenly want to ‘weed out’ those that don’t comply at a time when they are in desperate need to rekindle peoples interest in cruising.

I think the term is, “Shooting oneself in the foot”...........Wilba
                      I prefer to think 'looking after and making sure their passengers are covered' in today's litigious, blame cultured society.

Will the requirement continue? No idea. Will it affect passenger numbers? Again, no idea but be sure the bean counters will be all over it, if it does.
                      Last edited by Mrs M; 24th August 2021, 07:49 AM. Reason: just realised there was a spelling mistake!!

Comment

I phoned my bank to enquire about the travel insurance in my package, and was told that it didn't cover Covid. I cancelled immediately and bought annual cover with Saga ahead of the May cruise on Virtuosa. MSC went through the policy very carefully in the terminal, and I had to submit the details prior to the cruise. Celebrity and Virgin didn't even ask to see it.
                        2018-
                        Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                        NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                        Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                        Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you