• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know when you caught it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know when you caught it?

Staysure, a well known travel insurance company now states "The only cover your policy will provide for Coronavirus including Covid-19, is emergency medical expenses if you catch the virus during your insured trip". The incubation period for COVID-19, which is the time between exposure to the virus (becoming infected) and symptom onset, is on average 5-6 days, however can be up to 14 days.

How do you prove you "caught it" say 10 days ago on your holiday trip if you didn't have any symptoms where the insurance company might be saying you must have caught it since you returned home 5 or 6 days ago and you are not covered?

If you are back home you don't need emergency medical that is provided by the state..

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      Staysure, a well known travel insurance company now states "The only cover your policy will provide for Coronavirus including Covid-19, is emergency medical expenses if you catch the virus during your insured trip". The incubation period for COVID-19, which is the time between exposure to the virus (becoming infected) and symptom onset, is on average 5-6 days, however can be up to 14 days.

How do you prove you "caught it" say 10 days ago on your holiday trip if you didn't have any symptoms where the insurance company might be saying you must have caught it since you returned home 5 or 6 days ago and you are not covered?
      I suppose if you are ill enough to be hospitalised from it while on holiday, they would pay your medical expenses. Everyone is different with how long the virus is taking to affect them,

On the plus side, at least the insurance companies are now starting to mention insuring you for the virus a few days ago, some of them wouldn't even mention it. ........................................Carol

Comment

I would imagine cruise lines will now do a temp check on passengers at embarkation which would give some idea.
        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I dont think anyone knows, this week I have read that they think 10% of people in London have caught the virus, today the ONS says 0.24% across all sectors of society.

Until such time as they have a quick, accurate test this uncertainty will continue

John

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

I suppose if you are ill enough to be hospitalised from it while on holiday, they would pay your medical expenses. Everyone is different with how long the virus is taking to affect them,

On the plus side, at least the insurance companies are now starting to mention insuring you for the virus a few days ago, some of them wouldn't even mention it. ........................................Carol
            Not sure they would necessarily pay. If you fell ill on a cruise of say 7-14 days there's no way you can prove you hadn't been infected before you boarded. I'd be interested in seeing prices too. I had a quote from Staysure pre-covid because they were offering a 20% discount. The price was much more than I had been quoted elsewhere with no discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
              I dont think anyone knows, this week I have read that they think 10% of people in London have caught the virus, today the ONS says 0.24% across all sectors of society.

Until such time as they have a quick, accurate test this uncertainty will continue

John
              That is based on 14,599 people in 7,054 households 4-17 May, data does not include those that are getting tested in care homes & hospitals.

so is going to be those that test positive but are not that sick

it is an estimate just for those weeks so anyone that got it and is now clear is not counted.

you may think it is very low but this is week 7/8 into lock down data you would hope it was low.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Not sure they would necessarily pay. If you fell ill on a cruise of say 7-14 days there's no way you can prove you hadn't been infected before you boarded. I'd be interested in seeing prices too. I had a quote from Staysure pre-covid because they were offering a 20% discount. The price was much more than I had been quoted elsewhere with no discount.
                I had a quote from Staysure in January. For a year-long global policy they were far cheaper than the others on a price comparison site. The 20% discount made them even cheaper.

So if you get taken ill just before a cruise you are not covered and lose the money you have paid.

Unless the insurance situation is sorted out, I cannot see many risking a cruise or any foreign holiday.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                X