• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EHIC renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EHIC renewal

I have just had an email reminding me that my EHIIC card has expired. I can renew it if I want to but was warned that should we leave the EU without a deal, it would probably not be valid.

Now although I have been covered by the EHIC arrangement for years, thankfully I have never had to use it.

In any case, I have a permanent travel insurance policy with my bank, so do I really need a EHIC card?

Have you ever used yours and will you be renewing it any time soon?
    Jill

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
    I have just had an email reminding me that my EHIIC card has expired. I can renew it if I want to but was warned that should we leave the EU without a deal, it would probably not be valid.

Now although I have been covered by the EHIC arrangement for years, thankfully I have never had to use it.

In any case, I have a permanent travel insurance policy with my bank, so do I really need a EHIC card?

Have you ever used yours and will you be renewing it any time soon?
    Never had to use ours, but did renew them last July as it was free, the expiry date now being 2024. Have no idea how Brexit will affect them.

Some insurance companies insist you also have a EHIC card.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 22nd January 2020, 12:35 PM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I have never had to use mine either, When you have really good insurance cover I am confident, So I am not bothered about the EHIC card. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

…..

Some insurance companies insist you also have a EHIC card.
        That is my understanding also and the reason to apply - it costs zero.

Annie

Comment

Until any government directive says otherwise, you should have both.

Travel Ins. might not cover you, for instance, if you break your leg falling over after a glass or three of wine on a night out. EHIC will give you the same medical care a local would get.

Comment

Just renewed ours a couple of weeks ago , it came through the post very quickly , never had to use it but better safe than sorry ,

Comment

We used ours in France, years ago, my wife slipped on a kerb and broke her ankle, the hospital asked for the EHIC which we provided and everything was easy and smooth, had to pay for the x-ray that was all, I would have both and hope to use neither.

John

Comment

EHIC is not confined to the EU. Other countries participate, so there is no reason for the reciprocal arrangements with the EU countries to be rescinded after Brexit.

Most travel insurance companies insist you have the EHIC and use the public hospitals which means they only pay out for "extras"

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

That is my understanding also and the reason to apply - it costs zero.

Annie
                  Definitely.

Comment

I think it’s important to reiterate that the card is issued free of charge. The government website is ehic.org.uk

I spotted a very official looking EHIC site which offered to issue the card for £35.00 per person. It’s easy for a first time applicant to be duped in to paying a fee.

Just a reminder for anyone travelling to the Channel Islands, they are not part of the scheme.

Comment

Hi Jill
                      I used my card to obtain a medication I have forgotten to pack.
                      It saved me 40 euro than buying over the counter (insulin)a figure lower than my travel insurance excess.

JC
                      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Just had my renewals arrive this morning.

You must be physic J..............Wilba
                        Wilba

Comment

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

On the basis that I had better be safe than sorry, I have just renewed my EHIC card on line.

Even if it becomes invalid after a year, should there be a no deal Brexit.
                          Jill

Comment

Just to warn everyone.......

The email I received was from a website that charges £20 for the renewal; however they do give the NHS website address for the free one.
                            Jill

Comment

I just did ours,just before Xmas.

It might also be worth people checking their Insurance, On my sons, it said you had to have them!! .................................................. ......Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X