• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance for the more mature.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last couple of times I have used Explorer. I did have a claim that was settled quickly with no problem. JC and Wilba's recommondation sounds very good £380! for a year - post by-pass, which I have also had, and paid nearly that for 2 weeks. Beryl

Comment

My husband usually gets an annual world wide policy for us just in case we have to go to the states for any reason and yes, it is eye-wateringly expensive because of my various health problems. He says that he has heard that Boots do travel insurance at a reasonable rate but we haven’t checked it out yet.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Originally posted by B&D, Shepton Mallet View Post
        The last couple of times I have used Explorer. I did have a claim that was settled quickly with no problem. JC and Wilba's recommondation sounds very good £380! for a year - post by-pass, which I have also had, and paid nearly that for 2 weeks. Beryl
        Hi Beryl
        You might find first time its more near £500,,,but over the last 4 years with 10% loyalty discount every year it has come down to £380.

JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
          I was forced to change from Nationwide following a heart attack who withdrew cover on any heart related incidents and I went to Staysure. I was amazed with their policy of charging an admin fee if you advise them of a change in medication so I went elsewhere. In reality the only question to ask is will they pay out of you claim.
          We're having a bit of a mare with Staysure at the moment. We were both covered by my bank until April this year . Mine is ok but they wouldn't cover my OH annually when some cardiac problems cropped up so I got a single trip policy for him from Staysure for our trip next week (not a cruise). At the time of purchase we declared everything . He was being monitored, no meds or symptoms but because he's had an angiogram , which only confirmed what we already know, he won't be covered if he has any heart related issues while we're away. The angiogram was only planned a couple of weeks ago at a check up.
          I wish we'd just gone on holiday without telling them about the test but I wanted to make sure we had full cover. We won't know until Monday now. I used them because we had a good experience with them before
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I’m not sure if this is helpful to anyone but it certainly is useful for us. My husband is disabled, none of his conditions are life threatening but all insurance companies just hike the price to unreasonable levels.

For anyone over 50 and under 75 at the time of membership, who happens to have an occupational pension, you become eligible to join the NFOP. (National Federation of Occupational Pensioners) I think it costs in the region of £30 for joint membership. Once you have been a member for 1year, you become eligible to apply for their travel insurance, no medical questionnaire at all. as long as you haven’t been declared unfit to travel,then you’re good to go.

The insurance offered is worldwide cover for twelve months and costs in the region of £300 for a couple. It can only be taken out to run from March to March, but as long as you continue to renew it yearly there is no age limit.

It has saved us a small fortune.

https://www.nfop.org.uk/

Comment

They say you will never know how good an insurance company is until you need to make a claim which thankfully we have never needed to do.

We we always insure on a trip to trip basis and again thankfully I have nothing medically to declare but my wife does.(High blood pressure | Cholesterol levels | Osteoarthritis)

We have been using Staysure for a number of years now and considering our ages think they are very competitive, for our weeks cruise to the Fjords on Iona next year to celebrate my 80th Birthday £76.
              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 1st September 2019, 08:45 AM.
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We, both 65, are with Aviva and have been for a number of years, made a claim around 7 years ago when a health issue prevented me from flying and it was paid in full within a week of being submitted, premiums are still reasonable for us despite a few conditions noted on our file, unless the prices go silly cant see us changing.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi Annie
                  I have more experience than most when it comes to insurance with pre-meds.Diabetes and CABG over 6yrs ago.
                  And believe me three of those mentioned won't touch me with a barge pole.

I'm with AllClear,,,,£380 a year for Europe only,,,,,don't even mention US or Caribbean,,,,how about £1500 - £3000 for a 2 week cruise.
                  Hi JC

Fortunately I have Travel Insurance packaged with my current account - I dread the day when I have to buy it.

Out of curiosity, I priced 2 from the list and I noted the LV premium cover had cruise specific benefits e.g, confined to cabin, missed ports etc and curious if anyone else has that specific cover.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                    We were chuffed when Barclays upped the age to 80 on their travel pack account add on.

Its not that cheap at £12.50pm but covers all account holders and their families world wide and also included full European RAC personal cover.

they also have a more expensive 18pm option that includes 6 lounge pass which makes them £13each.

They do have a £5kpp cancellation limit which is plenty for our cruises.
                    We have that package with Barclays & the insurance is by Aviva. They cover my husband who has diabetes, had a quadruple bypass a hip replacement & don't charge anything extra.

They also cover me for atrial fibrillation again with no extra charge.

Annie mentioned some Which recommended insurance companies including LV. Have to say I wouldn't touch any LV insurance with a bargepole. I won't go into too much detail but a few years ago they refused to pay out for water damage after we were having our shower replaced & our plumber told us we had water damage & should make a claim. We had not seen any signs of leakage but it had apparently damaged one of the joists. When they sent us a renewal a few weeks later, the premium had gone up significanlty. We queried it and were told it was because we had made a claim. What a farce!

Stupidly I didn't cancel our car insurance also with them & after I had a bump in the car their management of it was terrible and staff were really rude. My daughter 's cars were insured by them & their car was hit by a lorry and despite the police prosecuting the lorry driver LV didn't pay out until she hired a solicitor. Shortly afterwards in January her husband's car was stolen off their drive, LV have refused to pay for it & the case is now with the ombudsman.
                    Needless to say we are all insured with other companies now.

Comment

We have had this problem for several years. We used to find existing conditions had to be within the 12 months and then 3 years/5 years; in some companies, the wording in the insurance terms was changed yet again to " if you have EVER had-----.
                      We have tried many companies, and only a few have the option NOT to include a medical report, so you're not covered if your condition causes a problem while you are away. I am 86 and my husband 73, so as a pair, our insurances cost almost as much as the holiday. It seems you will not be covered if you tell them of any medical conditions, and they won't cover you if you omit them. It never made sense to us that if someone is taking medicine to control a condition, they get penalised, but someone who for example drinks/smokes or is simply obese because they could not care less about their health, is covered for a much lower price.
                      Some time ago I weaned myself off statins because of side effects, and instead began to take plant sterols, which are natural. My GP told me(for the third year) my cholesterol levels are good. When I told an Insurance company I was no longer on statins, I was told " But you DID take them once, so it still counts". We can't win, can we?

Comment

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
                        We have had this problem for several years. We used to find existing conditions had to be within the 12 months and then 3 years/5 years; in some companies, the wording in the insurance terms was changed yet again to " if you have EVER had-----.
                        We have tried many companies, and only a few have the option NOT to include a medical report, so you're not covered if your condition causes a problem while you are away. I am 86 and my husband 73, so as a pair, our insurances cost almost as much as the holiday. It seems you will not be covered if you tell them of any medical conditions, and they won't cover you if you omit them. It never made sense to us that if someone is taking medicine to control a condition, they get penalised, but someone who for example drinks/smokes or is simply obese because they could not care less about their health, is covered for a much lower price.
                        Some time ago I weaned myself off statins because of side effects, and instead began to take plant sterols, which are natural. My GP told me(for the third year) my cholesterol levels are good. When I told an Insurance company I was no longer on statins, I was told " But you DID take them once, so it still counts". We can't win, can we?
                        My favourite travel insurance jargon is do you have any undiagnosed symptoms that may require any future treatment.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

My favourite travel insurance jargon is do you have any undiagnosed symptoms that may require any future treatment.

Annie
                          Ha Ha. I expect you got out the crystal ball to answer that one!! Beryl

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X