• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like a cruise but on land?- A Warners Break

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
    To be fair, I think I possibly picked the worst one. We are going to Holme Lacey in Hereford later in the year based in a stately home where I understand the set up is completely different and the rooms are more in keeping with conventional hotel rooms. We have paid for an upgrade to a signature room where you get little extra touches such as nicer toiletries, a few nibbles and bathrobe etc. There are supposed to be a couple of easy chairs and coffee table so I am hoping it will be more comfortable in that sense. Plus there are some lovely surrounding olde worlde towns to visit along with Ross on Wye and Simmonds Yat etc. so these will be our 'ports of call'
    I also understand that there are more lounges and bars so I am still keeping an open mind. All be it the prices are eye watering and they have taken out of their system any upgrades or perks that they can usually offer such as discount if you make two bookings or free upgrades to tempt you to book, but thats a sign of the times istn it. Everything is at a premium at the moment.
    You did pick the worst one

We used to go to Warners often years ago with friends, and had some great weekends.

As you pointed out, they are not a cheap weekend, and some sites are better than others, but Corton, even years ago, was not one of their best ..........................................Carol

Comment

I think Carol should start a thread.. worst holiday you've had and did you walk away from it or stay..

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
        I think Carol should start a thread.. worst holiday you've had and did you walk away from it or stay..

Garf
        You do it, I'm trying to think, don't think I've ever come home from a holiday early. Even the awful ones have given us a laugh in later years ....................................Carol

Comment

It sounds horrendous Bradbury! We haven’t even bothered booking anything this summer but are hoping that we get to see our friends in Wales or have them visit us as we always have a great time together. I think our worst holiday had to be in Salou in Spain years ago. The hotel was packed with young Spanish holiday makers who sat on their balconies in the middle of the night playing loud music and shouting across to each other. Our floor had a family of travellers from NI who were as disruptive as could be, flooding the hallways to make people slip on the floor, slamming doors all night, every night, I could go on. Hubby went at 3am to have a word with management after telling one of the charming children lurking in the hall at that time that “things would be dealt with”. They were evicted the next day. The weather that week was awful for the Med. it absolutely tipped it down with rain every other day (Palma de Majorca flooded that same week) and the food at the local cafes was as plastic tasting as the photos on display. The only saving grace that week was the fact that our Welsh friends were in the next resort which was a short walk so we spent a lot of time together which meant that there were some enjoyable aspects from that holiday.

Take care. Helen

Comment

Your experience sounds very similar to ours on Hayling Island a few years ago. We booked it when we had lunch on a new Princess ship in Southampton to make the trip worthwhile.

Our chalet was awful. Like you we asked if we could upgrade but it was full. The room was very small with the bedside cabinet extending across the bathroom.
            door.

We struggled on for a couple of days then decided to go home early as we really were not enjoying the Warners experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
              It sounds horrendous Bradbury! We haven’t even bothered booking anything this summer but are hoping that we get to see our friends in Wales or have them visit us as we always have a great time together. I think our worst holiday had to be in Salou in Spain years ago. The hotel was packed with young Spanish holiday makers who sat on their balconies in the middle of the night playing loud music and shouting across to each other. Our floor had a family of travellers from NI who were as disruptive as could be, flooding the hallways to make people slip on the floor, slamming doors all night, every night, I could go on. Hubby went at 3am to have a word with management after telling one of the charming children lurking in the hall at that time that “things would be dealt with”. They were evicted the next day. The weather that week was awful for the Med. it absolutely tipped it down with rain every other day (Palma de Majorca flooded that same week) and the food at the local cafes was as plastic tasting as the photos on display. The only saving grace that week was the fact that our Welsh friends were in the next resort which was a short walk so we spent a lot of time together which meant that there were some enjoyable aspects from that holiday.

Take care. Helen
              We have only had one really awful holiday and that was in Majorca years ago. We went with friends and our rooms were in an annex reached by a path past the dustbins. We went to the desk to complain immediately and upon hearing our last name, which is Spanish (although many generations back) the clerk was very apologetic and moved us to a better room in the main building. Our friends opted to stay in the original room and said they would ask for compensation when they returned home. We enjoyed our room and ocean view balcony, but spent the holiday listening to our friends complaining. The food was poor and the entertainment non existent, in our opinion as well as theirs'. They never did get any compensation and we never holidayed with them again.
              Sheila

Comment

Two unnecessary hotel experiences in all our lives aren't too bad at all.

First was our very first holiday with young son. Went to an 'upmarket family hotel' in Cornwall.
                It was definitely family orientated but the accommodation left a lot to be desired.Unless the patio doors were left open, the room was sealed and in miserable wet and damp weather, the room became intolerable. We left after three days.
                The other was in a top notch hotel in Laguna Niguel, California. We were in Club level and had paid a considerable amount to have an ocean facing suite. The room next door was occupied by a family which let the children run riot from 5.30 am, banging on walls and shrieking. We complained. The management had a word but when the family came to breakfast in their pjs, they were asked to leave.
                Apparently the chap was a well known film and television producer. Luckily, that didn't wash with the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                  Thanks for your review, we have been thinking about a Warner’s holiday and I joined an unofficial Warner’s Facebook group as it’s been many years since we last attended a Warner’s Sinah Warren at Hayling Island.

Your review is a mirror of what people are saying in this group, Warner’s are getting slated, not from first timers but from regular Warner’s guests, especially in regards to food and service, as you report, reduced menus, running out of food, food luke warm, delays between courses etc. This is not restricted to there’s seaside chalet resorts but also in their stately homes.

I have read of Warner’s cancelling people’s holidays with less than 24 hours notice due to staff not being able to cope, so they are reducing number of guests, a lot of the problems being caused by getting rid of the buffets due to covid,, they appear not to be able to handle the full table service.

They would have a fit on that site if they saw your review,

This is an extract from a post on the unofficial Warner’s site

Righto just finished a Thorsby break, understaffed, food rubbish (Saturday night wellingtons made my wife ill , the cod had more batter than cod ) asked for scrambled egg on toast which was refused as it would inconvenience the chef(you can’t make it up) drinks took forever to be served , Warner’s are taking the piss , £450 each for shabby service and poor food ( hope this comment doesn’t inconvenience the chef ) clearly they weren’t ready to open and just clawing back money, after working throughout the pandemic as a Engineer in a NHS hospital I expect more for my money and the break was a total disaster
                  Please feel free to share my review with them. I dont do facebook but can see its not a public group so cant even take a sneak peek

Comment

Hi Bradbury.
                    If the act you saw,,the ‘4 -Tunes’ is the same ‘4 -Tunes’ I saw on a P&O cruise I thought them very good,a bit like the Jersey Boys.
                    I think they are regulars on P&O ships.

JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Why is it with the forum that whenever You seem to make an edit it often comes up as Spam and unapproved.

This is my third attempt

As your review states and I quote, “So first day over and now the trip around the Norfolk coast down to the ‘Sussex coast’.” 😳🤣

That is some trip and in order to do so, you would not have had the time to explore the delights that the ‘Suffolk Coast’ had to offer.😉

EXPLORE THE SUFFOLK COAST

The Suffolk Coast is a 50-mile stretch of heritage coastline and Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty situated just two hours from central London. As well as being a wildlife lover’s paradise and a photographer’s dream, The Suffolk Coast is one of the best places to visit in Suffolk if you love foid, seaside life, and world-class culture.

The towns and villages on The Suffolk Coast are wonderfully varied. The largest is Lowestoft, which boasts a wide sandy beach and access to the beautiful Suffolk Broads. At the other end of the scale is Orford, a tiny fishing village that possesses an unexpected bounty of foodie delights, and a depth of folklore surrounding its unique castle.

Dunwich is one of The Suffolk Coast’s smallest villages, yet it opens out onto an expanse of kaleidoscopic heathland rich with wildlife.Snape, too, is surrounded by natural beauty: the perfect backdrop for the musical events taking place there every year.

Like Snape, Aldeburgh is a magnet for cultural tourists to The Suffolk Coast, who come to experience its acclaimed arts festivalsand fabulous food. Families gravitate towards Kessingland, home to one of Suffolk’s most popular family attractions, and the fairytale village of Thorpness, famed for its Peter-Pan-inspired boating lake. With its promenade, seafront gardens, and 16th century fort, Felixstowe remains a favourite for families who love a traditional seaside holiday.

Another quintessential seaside town on The Suffolk Coast is Southwold, perennially adored for its beach huts, fantastic pier, and charming coastal pubs; meanwhile neighbouring Walsberswick has long been a haunt for artists and writers, who find inspiration in its nostalgic character and beauty. 😎

Don’t think we have ever had a holiday that was so awful we felt the need to come home early, some places not up to scratch, but we always try to make the best of any given situation, or maybe we don’t set our expectations too high to start with.

As for Warner’s this was a post on there Facebook page today.

Thinking of booking a holiday at Warner’s do they provide rooms and food or do we take our own food and sleep in a tent?🤭

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Hi Del
                        I don’t think you needed to post the 1/3rd time.
                        Your post was there for all to see before my last post.
                        Did you delete it before C&P the one at 11:07.

Not sure if that’s explained right?
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Del
                          I don’t think you needed to post the 1/3rd time.
                          Your post was there for all to see before my last post.
                          Did you delete it before C&P the one at 11:07.

Not sure if that’s explained right?
                          JC
                          Hi JC

All I know is on reading my posts back sometimes due spelling or a missed out word I go back to amend (edit), after the amendment when I try to repost, it states ‘you have no authority to amend this post’, when I check back on the original it states unapproved. ?. The last time it also said this has been classed as Spam?

My way round this is to copy and then delete the original, then repost adding the notification that my previous were unapproved.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                            This is an extract from a post on the unofficial Warner’s site

Righto just finished a Thorsby break, understaffed, food rubbish (Saturday night wellingtons made my wife ill , the cod had more batter than cod ) asked for scrambled egg on toast which was refused as it would inconvenience the chef(you can’t make it up) drinks took forever to be served , Warner’s are taking the piss , £450 each for shabby service and poor food ( hope this comment doesn’t inconvenience the chef ) clearly they weren’t ready to open and just clawing back money, after working throughout the pandemic as a Engineer in a NHS hospital I expect more for my money and the break was a total disaster
                            I wonder if their visit was as soon as hotels could open up again on the 17th May and staff and systems were not up to speed after the long shut down.

It will be interesting to see if the cruise ships have fully trained and up to speed staff for the first couple of UK cruises to nowhere after such a long break and with the virus causing big problems in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbury, Coventry View Post
                              To be fair, I think I possibly picked the worst one. We are going to Holme Lacey in Hereford later in the year based in a stately home where I understand the set up is completely different and the rooms are more in keeping with conventional hotel rooms. We have paid for an upgrade to a signature room where you get little extra touches such as nicer toiletries, a few nibbles and bathrobe etc. There are supposed to be a couple of easy chairs and coffee table so I am hoping it will be more comfortable in that sense. Plus there are some lovely surrounding olde worlde towns to visit along with Ross on Wye and Simmonds Yat etc. so these will be our 'ports of call'
                              I also understand that there are more lounges and bars so I am still keeping an open mind. All be it the prices are eye watering and they have taken out of their system any upgrades or perks that they can usually offer such as discount if you make two bookings or free upgrades to tempt you to book, but thats a sign of the times istn it. Everything is at a premium at the moment.
                              You might like to consider 'Littlecote House' My home town of Hungerford) Steeped in History ( Henry V111 held clandestine meetings with Jane Seymour at Littlecote House)
                              set in wonderful gardens and grounds, including a Roman mosaic unearthed some years ago. And not to forget, Hungerford market town on the Kennett & Avon canal.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                                I wonder if their visit was as soon as hotels could open up again on the 17th May and staff and systems were not up to speed after the long shut down.

It will be interesting to see if the cruise ships have fully trained and up to speed staff for the first couple of UK cruises to nowhere after such a long break and with the virus causing big problems in India.
                                I know you follow Gary Bembridge on You Tube and he made that very point - it will take time for everyone to get up to speed.

I visited a coffee shop in a tourist town yesterday and do wonder if a section of the hospitality trade has learned anything from the lockdown? Underwhelming experience JMO. Even my very forgiving sister commented we will try another place next time.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X