• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alitalia to enter bankruptcy proceedings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alitalia to enter bankruptcy proceedings

Hi All

Alitalia to enter bankruptcy proceedings - BBC News

Annie

I blame Brexit..

Regards
    Garfield

Comment

Shame. Alitalia was always known for their hot trolley dollies. "A Little Italian Tit, A Lotta Italian Ass"

Comment

Yep, must be Brexit...

Comment

I can understand the employees not voting in favour of the restructuring as it would be like turkeys voting for christmas, but it seems that it's down to the unions

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
            I can understand the employees not voting in favour of the restructuring as it would be like turkeys voting for christmas, but it seems that it's down to the unions
            Anybody care to estimate the Employer Payroll (NIC/Pension) charges for an employee?? When compiling operational budgets, I always estimated a minimum of 30% of gross salary.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
              I blame Brexit..

Regards
              Garfield
              I am right in thinking you are having a laugh with that statement Garfield. The Airline has received £5.9 billion from the Italian state over the last decade.

Comment

What happens to people that have bookings with them? Lots of cruises go from Italy.

Comment

Hi Tim.
                  Is that Unions or Union members.
                  The TU agreed a deal with Alitalia management nearly 2 weeks ago.
                  The management then was demanding redundancies and a 30% cut in wages,after further negotiations that demand by management was reduced to a reduction of 8% and 2000 job losses.
                  The Trade Unions recommended that deal to their members,,,,,the members rejected the deal,not the TU's.

There was an interesting take on it in the Huffington Post Italy.....

“The workers picked suicide instead of sacrifice,” said Lucia Annunziata, editor of Huffington Post Italy, in a column on Monday night, describing it as a facet of the populist wave afflicting western democracies.“This was a vote of no-confidence against the state, the executive and the unions — all the institutions that are there to defend the interests of workers and citizens,” she added.

A bit like Brexit eh!!!for the State/Executive and Unions,,you can put in Government,Tories and Labour.
                  JC
                  Last edited by jc, liverpool; 2nd May 2017, 04:51 PM.
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

So instead of having a job paying less money they will have no job at all. Or if they are lucky, they might get a job with a low cost carrier which will probably pay less than they would have got if they had accepted the deal.

Legacy airlines have to cut costs if they are to survive.

Comment

A trade union is made up of it's members elected to the exec of said union - if the union recommended the deal then the members only have themselves to blame if they now face compulsory redundancy and if the Italian system works like ours just statutory redundancy. I don't have anything against unions and have been a steward in the past, but these people voted for their own fate. It's a shame for them and must have been a really difficult choice to make

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_C, Worthing View Post
                        So instead of having a job paying less money they will have no job at all. Or if they are lucky, they might get a job with a low cost carrier which will probably pay less than they would have got if they had accepted the deal.

Legacy airlines have to cut costs if they are to survive.
                        If I recall Italian pension rules correctly, I think they can retire after 20 years contributions - probably an option for some.

Annie

Comment

A trade union is made up of it's members elected to the exec of said union - if the union recommended the deal then the members only have themselves to blame if they now face compulsory redundancy and if the Italian system works like ours just statutory redundancy. I don't have anything against unions and have been a steward in the past, but these people voted for their own fate. It's a shame for them and must have been a really difficult choice to make
                          The Italian system doesn't work anything like ours and not always in a positive way.

Annie

Comment

Hi Tim
                            Sometimes you make these choices in life....

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees".....Viva Zapata!

Meaning.....
                            'It is better to live for your beliefs and your comfort with dignity and respect rather than to pretend believing another's views and serve those people with no self-respect for your self'.

I worked for a bad company who demanded the same,it was 1974,i chucked it,and never looked back.
                            I figured a company who had to slash wages and conditions to survive,didn't deserve to survive anyway,they just keep good companies out of the market,,,,it lasted another 12 months and folded.

JC
                            Last edited by jc, liverpool; 2nd May 2017, 05:27 PM.
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

I think the amount the company has needed in state aid is a tell-tale sign that the business isn't viable. I thought the EU ruled against state aid unless it was proven to be good for the economy?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X