• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A BA Own Goal??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A BA Own Goal??

Hi All

It was rumoured:

BA to charge for M&S sandwiches on short haul flights.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...ood-short-haul

Virgin 1st class Glasgow to London is even more attractive.

Annie

Having recently travelled BA a few times this year their existing offer was not great and the option to buy a decent sandwich and coffee isn't the end of the earth. The good old days of a full edible service in economy (with wine) with "national carriers" are long gone.

Usually on low cost flights we factor in a suitable amount of cash for a coffee (and a breakfast on Jet 2) so will now do so if flying BA.

Given the total we are spending on holidays it is small change.

However I do agree that First Class with Virgin East Coast is very good, but standard prices from Leeds to London are now £200+, compared with BA to Heathrow as low as £50.

Advance purchase (off peak) with a Two together Railcard can get rail fare down to about the same but at Peak times - no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
      Having recently travelled BA a few times this year their existing offer was not great and the option to buy a decent sandwich and coffee isn't the end of the earth. The good old days of a full edible service in economy (with wine) with "national carriers" are long gone.

Usually on low cost flights we factor in a suitable amount of cash for a coffee (and a breakfast on Jet 2) so will now do so if flying BA.

Given the total we are spending on holidays it is small change.

However I do agree that First Class with Virgin East Coast is very good, but standard prices from Leeds to London are now £200+, compared with BA to Heathrow as low as £50.

Advance purchase (off peak) with a Two together Railcard can get rail fare down to about the same but at Peak times - no chance.
      I confess never paying more than £100 on Virgin 1st class return but I always buy my tickets in advance.

For flights of 75 minutes or less, why serve anything??

My recent flight Glasgow to Barra (60 minutes) - no drinks service. The flight crew act as cabin crew also.

Back to BA, people will probably bring their own food on board - JMO. Boots meal deal anybody??

Annie

Comment

We recently took an early morning flight to Copenhagen on SAS. Breakfast was just under £7 and was a waste of money. M&S would have been a far better option.
        Logic will get you from A to B.
        Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

I avoid BA and Heathrow like the plague.BA have the monopoly Glasgow to Heathrow.Can use train but Kingscross has no lifts to underground,so cant use that to get to Heathrow.Last time we used BA back to Glasgow,after 4hrs delay,I was offered a packet of crisp or awrap,I m Diabetic and these were not suitable.Emirates,Luftansa,KLM, Belive I their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
            Hi All

It was rumoured:

BA to charge for M&S sandwiches on short haul flights.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...ood-short-haul

Virgin 1st class Glasgow to London is even more attractive.

Annie
            I think BA have struggled on trying to offer food on shorthaul flights whilst Easyjet and Ryanair don't, so it was inevitable they would follow suit. Personally think it will be nice to be able to choose something from M&S and it's going to be more than just sandwiches as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Broadbeam, Glasgow View Post
              I avoid BA and Heathrow like the plague.BA have the monopoly Glasgow to Heathrow.Can use train but Kingscross has no lifts to underground,so cant use that to get to Heathrow.Last time we used BA back to Glasgow,after 4hrs delay,I was offered a packet of crisp or awrap,I m Diabetic and these were not suitable.Emirates,Luftansa,KLM, Belive I their customers.
              Alas BA always cancel/delay the short haul flights first.

Like you I avoid BA/LHR combination UNLESS there is no alternative.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl, The Chilterns View Post
                I think BA have struggled on trying to offer food on shorthaul flights whilst Easyjet and Ryanair don't, so it was inevitable they would follow suit. Personally think it will be nice to be able to choose something from M&S and it's going to be more than just sandwiches as I understand it.
                There are better sandwiches than M&S - JMO. They struggle to offer food but will increase workload on staff who will now be trying to sell food??

I wonder if the fares will reduce??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Broadbeam, Glasgow View Post
                  I don't use the lifts but I'm fairly certain that after the redevelopment of the station they installed new lifts allowing access to every platform.

http://vlstatic.com/assets/maps/acce..._guide_map.pdf
                  Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 29th September 2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

BA used to serve cooked breakfast on the Heathrow to Manchester/Glasgow/Edinburgh shuttle and those flights were as short as 45 minutes and almost always full. Willie Walsh has a lot to answer for, not a fan.

Comment

In the spring we flew Gatwick to Toronto on WestJet. The fare was really cheap, but no complementary food was served. This is the first time we have experienced this on an international flight, although it is common on internal routes. I suppose it is the o reall cost that is important. Low fare + food charges + luggage charges or higher fare all inclusive, but it is annoying to have extras added on.

Sheila

Comment

I used to fly to GLA - London (where I lived) twice a month. Now I avoid airports like the plague.

From our local station, I cam be in Glasgow Central in less than 15 mins.

About a dozen times a year, we travel Virgin GLC - EUS, first class and pay less than £80 pp e/w for the 4 1/2 hour journey.

That includes food and drinks.

The best bit, is that it beats the plane to central London!!!

(Sent from London)

Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
                          I used to fly to GLA - London (where I lived) twice a month. Now I avoid airports like the plague.

From our local station, I cam be in Glasgow Central in less than 15 mins.

About a dozen times a year, we travel Virgin GLC - EUS, first class and pay less than £80 pp e/w for the 4 1/2 hour journey.

That includes food and drinks.

The best bit, is that it beats the plane to central London!!!

(Sent from London)

Stewart
                          I agree

One of my friends catches the train approx 0530, works on the train and can attend meetings in central London at 1100.

Annie

Comment

Ryanair have £10 flights Stansted GLA.

Cheaper than Easyjet Luton but neither airport that convenient for central London

OK for us we live further north.

Comment

Lots of discussion on this over at Head for Points — Maximise your miles from Avios, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and other airline and hotel loyalty schemes! (and Flyertalk of course)

Apparently, you will be able to pay for on board catering using avios, which may be useful for people who collect avios in small numbers.

Probably of more concern is BA are cutting back every month across the board, in the premium cabins as well as at the back of the plane. BA bosses seem to be running the airline into the ground (if you'll forgive the expression). In economy, perhaps you can't blame them. People put price over quality, and are happy to be herded like cattle into overcrowded uncomfortable seats. But in the premium cabins people will vote with their feet, and this used to be where most of the revenue came from.

You could say the same of the mainstream cruise lines of course.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X