• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Is Enough to Put You Off Flying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    It Is Enough to Put You Off Flying

    HI All

    If you were not apprehensive enough about flying:

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53966897#

    Annie

    #2
    I have no wish to get on an areoplane any time soon

    John

    Comment


      #3
      If you decide to fly / go on holiday you need to take the associated risks. My flight at the end of October to Spain is looking less likely.

      Comment


        #4
        There is no way I would go anywhere near an airport, yet alone board a plane for the foreseeable future.
        Jill

        Comment


          #5
          I am another who will not fly or take a cruise until the pandemic is over. It is not worth the risk, especially if you are not in the prime of life. The operators can wave all sorts of incentives but I will not bite.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
            If you decide to fly / go on holiday you need to take the associated risks. My flight at the end of October to Spain is looking less likely.
            Agreed.

            I confess to feeling irritated that my fights to Italy next week were cancelled. I did consider booking a short trip to the Algarve ( relatively short flight time and I have never been) but I read the air bridge would be withdrawn soon. That said,14 days quarantine would have little impact on me. The behaviour of covidiots on the flight is my biggest concern.

            Annie

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

              Agreed.

              I confess to feeling irritated that my fights to Italy next week were cancelled. I did consider booking a short trip to the Algarve ( relatively short flight time and I have never been) but I read the air bridge would be withdrawn soon. That said,14 days quarantine would have little impact on me. The behaviour of covidiots on the flight is my biggest concern.

              Annie
              If the examples quoted by the passenger are true, I think I'm more concerned about the flight staff who ignored those who disregarded the rules!

              Tui are quoted as saying that everyone complied with protocols throughout the flight. The passenger says lots of people were wandering up and down aisles without masks. Which is it?

              I wonder if any concerned passengers complained to the staff during the flight, or took some phone footage, or now plan to lodge a complaint? I think that's what I might do.

              On our local train service, although compliance is pretty good, there are always a few people on each journey not wearing masks. I have never seen any of them tackled by anyone.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                If the examples quoted by the passenger are true, I think I'm more concerned about the flight staff who ignored those who disregarded the rules!

                Tui are quoted as saying that everyone complied with protocols throughout the flight. The passenger says lots of people were wandering up and down aisles without masks. Which is it?

                I wonder if any concerned passengers complained to the staff during the flight, or took some phone footage, or now plan to lodge a complaint? I think that's what I might do.

                On our local train service, although compliance is pretty good, there are always a few people on each journey not wearing masks. I have never seen any of them tackled by anyone.

                I posted my concerns about cruising a few weeks ago as being passengers, i.e those who don't or won't comply with the rules, and crew, i.e. those who don't or won't enforce them. The same applies to flying. I am in no rush to resume either.
                Logic will get you from A to B.
                Imagination will take you everywhere.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                  If the examples quoted by the passenger are true, I think I'm more concerned about the flight staff who ignored those who disregarded the rules!

                  Tui are quoted as saying that everyone complied with protocols throughout the flight. The passenger says lots of people were wandering up and down aisles without masks. Which is it?

                  I wonder if any concerned passengers complained to the staff during the flight, or took some phone footage, or now plan to lodge a complaint? I think that's what I might do.

                  On our local train service, although compliance is pretty good, there are always a few people on each journey not wearing masks. I have never seen any of them tackled by anyone.
                  I don't tackle any non mask wearer as they may be exempt. Not all disabilities are visible as I know with my nephew. However wearing a mask does not distress him, so he complies.

                  I have a nephew who lives in Melbourne and the police are very happy issuing tickets to non mask wearers. They use drones to ensure cars stay within 5Km of the registered address unless they are travelling to work.

                  Annie

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                    I don't tackle any non mask wearer as they may be exempt. Not all disabilities are visible as I know with my nephew. However wearing a mask does not distress him, so he complies.

                    I have a nephew who lives in Melbourne and the police are very happy issuing tickets to non mask wearers. They use drones to ensure cars stay within 5Km of the registered address unless they are travelling to work.

                    Annie
                    I have to admit, I wouldn't tackle anyone myself - partly for cowardly and selfish reasons (as many of the people not wearing masks on the train are younger, fitter and bigger than me) ... and partly because of not knowing their circumstances.

                    What surprises me is that I have never seen anyone issue even a mild, friendly reminder to any of the passengers on our train. Before Covid it was not uncommon to see Police on the train, as well as peripatetic train staff, just checking things out at various times of the day. I haven't seen any, since services picked up again. It may be different elsewhere, but in my local area I think a blind eye has been turned.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

                      I have to admit, I wouldn't tackle anyone myself - partly for cowardly and selfish reasons (as many of the people not wearing masks on the train are younger, fitter and bigger than me) ... and partly because of not knowing their circumstances.

                      What surprises me is that I have never seen anyone issue even a mild, friendly reminder to any of the passengers on our train. Before Covid it was not uncommon to see Police on the train, as well as peripatetic train staff, just checking things out at various times of the day. I haven't seen any, since services picked up again. It may be different elsewhere, but in my local area I think a blind eye has been turned.
                      On my line, which I have and still use to see my family, I haven't seen a guard or railway police on the train since the pandemic began. I assume that they are protecting themselves from picking up the virus. I suspect that some get away without even buying a ticket, given that nobody is around to check.
                      Jill

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

                        On my line, which I have and still use to see my family, I haven't seen a guard or railway police on the train since the pandemic began. I assume that they are protecting themselves from picking up the virus. I suspect that some get away without even buying a ticket, given that nobody is around to check.
                        Hi Jill
                        Maybe your train company is one who has done away with guards on its trains?
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I met three friends for lunch in Birmingham on Saturday. The restaurant which we had booked in advance was fine and following all the health and safety regulations.

                          I travelled from home by train and I found it difficult to find a seat, only one seat in each group of four was available, all the others had seat covers, rendered unusable because of social distancing. 90% of passengers were wearing masks. On the concourse and platform at the station I used, railway staff were telling those passengers not wearing a mask to put one on before proceeding through the barrier to the train.

                          It was a different scenario in Birmingham city centre, both on the station concourse and in the shopping malls, as at least 50% of people were not wearing masks. Bearing in mind the City is on special measures, not really acceptable. There was a demo going on and police in riot gear were evident. There were dozens of young and not so young groups congregating outside bars, hugging and kissing, with not a mask in sight. At 4.30pm when I left the city, many people who had been drinking for hours, were already under the influence of drink. I felt sorry for the police, as I hated to think what it would be like later on in the evening.

                          It was great to meet my friends and enjoy a lovely lunch, however, I’m not keen on returning to Birmingham any time in the near future.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post
                            I met three friends for lunch in Birmingham on Saturday. The restaurant which we had booked in advance was fine and following all the health and safety regulations.

                            I travelled from home by train and I found it difficult to find a seat, only one seat in each group of four was available, all the others had seat covers, rendered unusable because of social distancing. 90% of passengers were wearing masks. On the concourse and platform at the station I used, railway staff were telling those passengers not wearing a mask to put one on before proceeding through the barrier to the train.

                            It was a different scenario in Birmingham city centre, both on the station concourse and in the shopping malls, as at least 50% of people were not wearing masks. Bearing in mind the City is on special measures, not really acceptable. There was a demo going on and police in riot gear were evident. There were dozens of young and not so young groups congregating outside bars, hugging and kissing, with not a mask in sight. At 4.30pm when I left the city, many people who had been drinking for hours, were already under the influence of drink. I felt sorry for the police, as I hated to think what it would be like later on in the evening.

                            It was great to meet my friends and enjoy a lovely lunch, however, I’m not keen on returning to Birmingham any time in the near future.
                            Went to Brighton last week by train. There were no restricted seats, we had a group of 4. The train was empty there and on the return, we avoided peak hours. Masks were made to be worn by railway staff before you were allowed through the barrier. It appeared to be mainly students on the train, possibly preparing for Uni, and all of them were wearing masks.
                            Eat out at quite a few places all week (made use of EOTHO for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and I thought they were all as safe as they could be, even the Weatherspoons was completing track and trace properly and had one way systems. The 360i had reduced capacity, sectioned areas and temperature testing prior to boarding. All the coffee shops and takeaways masks were worn unless seated. Hotel masks were worn in all public areas and lifts were restricted to only those staying together. It was only the shopping areas where I saw masks not being worn, and the Lanes are just too narrow for any social distancing.
                            I'd get on a plane tomorrow if they enforce mask wearing, distancing and hygiene guidelines, and I would pull anyone up not wearing a mask. Not going to though as not able to risk a 2 week quarantine. Will stick to staycations for now.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Hi Blondie
                              Funny you mention the lack of mask wearing in the Mall.
                              We have a shopping Mall in town with shops either side,,,masks are req in the shops but not on the Mall.
                              The coffee shop I go to has tables outside of the shop,on the Mall,no masks req.

                              JC
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X