• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Is Enough to Put You Off Flying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of weeks ago I returned to work for a couple of days to allow a colleague a well earned (and overdue) break. Like other stores, staff are not compelled to wear masks and we had screens installed and protocols implemented to protect staff.

On two occasions a customer presented to me without a mask. I challenged them (politely) and the first said he had forgot to take his mask from his car. I said I would wait until he went to get it. He then (absent-mindedly) continued to speak. I cut him off abruptly and he apologised and went to get his mask.

The second customer said he was exempt from wearing a mask whereupon I asked him to wait a moment until I fetched and wore my mask. This done I then felt safe and confident to assist the customer.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
      Hi Blondie
      Funny you mention the lack of mask wearing in the Mall.
      We have a shopping Mall in town with shops either side,,,masks are req in the shops but not on the Mall.
      The coffee shop I go to has tables outside of the shop,on the Mall,no masks req.

JC
      Brighton, complete opposite
      The town and Lanes, masks not required, including tables outside but required in all shops, with security enforcing it. The Mall mask were required at all times.

Comment

Hi Blondie
        Funny you mention the lack of mask wearing in the Mall.
        We have a shopping Mall in town with shops either side,,,masks are req in the shops but not on the Mall.
        The coffee shop I go to has tables outside of the shop,on the Mall,no masks req.

JC
        There doesn’t seem to be any consistency between towns or shopping malls. It’s only this week that my nearest town with two shopping malls posted notices saying ‘Masks must be worn inside the shopping malls’ Social distancing and mask wearing is practically non existent in the town and it’s unlikely many people will take heed of the new signs. I live in hope! .

Comment

I heard the interview with the passenger on the Today programme on R4. If passengers take their masks off on the flight, are they likely to listen to cabin crew?

I visited West Quay in Southampton a couple of weeks ago, and people wore masks to enter the centre, but some seemed to remove them once inside. The same went for John Lewis.
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Hi Jill
            Maybe your train company is one who has done away with guards on its trains?
            JC
            No JC. The guards are still there and they always walked through the train to check tickets before lockdown.
            Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

No JC. The guards are still there and they always walked through the train to check tickets before lockdown.
              Walking up and down the train checking everyones ticket, would be one way to spread a virus

Comment

Simple solution to flights and masks.

all UK airports have a blacklist.

1 warning on a flight refuse to wear a mask

black listed at all UK airports.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

There doesn’t eesm to be any consistency between towns or shopping malls. It’s only this week that my nearest town with two shopping malls posted notices saying ‘Masks must be worn inside the shopping malls’ Social distancing and mask wearing is practically non existent in the town and it’s unlikely many people will take heed of the new signs. I live in hope! .
                  Reading about forum members' experiences over the past few weeks, I have been really surprised at the different standards that have been encountered in town centres, malls, transport and the like. I don't think I would have expected quite so many discrepancies!

Comment

Hi all
                    Bottom end of the Mall,I’m sitting outside coffee shop actually at a table in the Mall,no mask
                    There is a keep left when walking through,,,,Security say they had a letter saying masks voluntary.

Not many out today.

2F3A6DD2-BC83-4A74-AA81-A99F76136444.jpeg
                    JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

Reading about forum members' experiences over the past few weeks, I have been really surprised at the different standards that have been encountered in town centres, malls, transport and the like. I don't think I would have expected quite so many discrepancies!
                      Between England and RUK the differences could be attributed to devolution.

However I have witnessed a reduction in social distancing with people forming small clusters walking together in the streets wearing no masks.

The medics appear to be attributing the recent uptick in cases to gatherings in homes.

As part of a large family, we cannot congregate altogether - if we did we would easily breach the guidelines.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                        A couple of weeks ago I returned to work for a couple of days to allow a colleague a well earned (and overdue) break. Like other stores, staff are not compelled to wear masks and we had screens installed and protocols implemented to protect staff.

On two occasions a customer presented to me without a mask. I challenged them (politely) and the first said he had forgot to take his mask from his car. I said I would wait until he went to get it. He then (absent-mindedly) continued to speak. I cut him off abruptly and he apologised and went to get his mask.

The second customer said he was exempt from wearing a mask whereupon I asked him to wait a moment until I fetched and wore my mask. This done I then felt safe and confident to assist the customer.

LMM
                        I thought shop and restaurant staff had to wear masks? Remember you wearing a mask protects others and not you.

LMM You handled your first customer very well and had a great response from them. I’m guessing they won’t forget their mask in future. My friend from my old work told me that her patients are wearing masks while in the waiting room but when they enter her room loads of them take their mask off! She politely reminds them why they need to keep wearing their mask while in her treatment room and they all reapply their mask.

Your 2nd customer stated they were exempt from wearing a mask but IMO if they don’t have the green exemption lanyard on then they should be wearing a mask. I also believe that you should have a doctors letter stating that your exempt before a lanyard is given or bought and that the lanyard should then be provided by a health care professional. However I know GP’s are refusing to issue letters. My hubby received a text informing him of this.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Hi all
                          Bottom end of the Mall,I’m sitting outside coffee shop actually at a table in the Mall,no mask
                          There is a keep left when walking through,,,,Security say they had a letter saying masks voluntary.

Not many out today.

2F3A6DD2-BC83-4A74-AA81-A99F76136444.jpeg
                          JC
                          I have a small shopping centre near me and the couple of times I’ve been in it since reducing restrictions I noticed that most people are wearing masks in the shops and in the shopping centre walkway. We also have an outdoor shopping centre in Glasgow which I feel more comfortable using. Personally I think masks should be mandatory when using any indoor public area.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

I have a small shopping centre near me and the couple of times I’ve been in it since reducing restrictions I noticed that most people are wearing masks in the shops and in the shopping centre walkway. We also have an outdoor shopping centre in Glasgow which I feel more comfortable using. Personally I think masks should be mandatory when using any indoor public area.
                            Masks are mandatory in indoor public areas here and have been since July 1. This followed a lot of contradictory information about the effectiveness of masks, but once everyone was on the same page there are few problems. If anyone tries to enter our local shopping mall without a mask they are offered one to buy. No mask, no entry! The number of entrances has been reduced and a security guard is stationed at each one. Anyone who is unable to wear a mask is considered unable to be in a shopping mall. This doesn’t apply to more essential places like doctors' offices. The only place you can remove your mask is when seated in the food court at one of the well separated tables. The number of shoppers in any store is limited according to the size of that store and hand sanitizer is available and must be used by everyone who enters.

We haven’t had a single case in our area of the city in the last month, and several other areas are the same. Most cases now are in disadvantaged areas and places where young people congregate.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

Masks are mandatory in indoor public areas here and have been since July 1. This followed a lot of contradictory information about the effectiveness of masks, but once everyone was on the same page there are few problems. If anyone tries to enter our local shopping mall without a mask they are offered one to buy. No mask, no entry! The number of entrances has been reduced and a security guard is stationed at each one. Anyone who is unable to wear a mask is considered unable to be in a shopping mall. This doesn’t apply to more essential places like doctors' offices. The only place you can remove your mask is when seated in the food court at one of the well separated tables. The number of shoppers in any store is limited according to the size of that store and hand sanitizer is available and must be used by everyone who enters.

We haven’t had a single case in our area of the city in the last month, and several other areas are the same. Most cases now are in disadvantaged areas and places where young people congregate.

Sheila
                              We are not quite as good as that in Scotland.

Shop staff who are separated from customers by a perspex screen are exempt from mask wearing.

Generally when I am shopping, not often, compliance has been very good.

They did tighten the regulations recently wrt hairdressing salons.

However people do congregate outside the entrance and exit to some retail units and there is zero social distancing. The default remains 2 metres in Scotland.

Annie
                              Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 31st August 2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I certainly don't envisage flying in the near future. I wonder how the people from the TUI flight can be monitored to see whether they are self isolating, or if it just a case of hoping they do the right thing!!
                                We don't have a holiday booked until next June that requires flights, but we have to pay in full in March. We'll wait and see what the situation looks like nearer the time and if we have to cancel and lose the deposit (£500) then so be it. Holiday was originally booked in June 2019 and transferred earlier this year after lockdown.

Barb

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X